Mailman - Sendmail problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by swangdb, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. swangdb

    swangdb Guest

    I have a Sun Server running Solaris 10 and Sendmail 8.13.7. I have
    Majordomo and Listproc installed on this server and they work. I have
    several production majordomo and listproc mailing lists installed on
    this server and they work.

    I am trying to get Mailman to work on this server and so far, no luck.
    I installed the software (Mailman 2.1.8 and Python 2.4.3), reconfigured
    mm_cfg.py, started the software, added the cron entries, created a test
    mailing list, added the list information to /etc/aliases, ran
    newaliases and subscribed myself. When I send a message to the list,
    it doesn't send me a copy of the message (I am the only subscriber to
    the list). If I look on the list's web site, the message I sent is
    contained in the archives.

    In the Mailman error log, I get messages similar to the following when
    I send a message to the mailing list:
    ***
    Aug 21 12:52:07 2006 (3871) SHUNTING:
    1156182726.7459469+ce82b7624960d1de5eea043fee45821044e3dfec
    Aug 21 13:28:00 2006 (3871) Uncaught runner exception: Use of the
    Sendmail.py delivery module is highly discouraged
    Aug 21 13:28:00 2006 (3871) Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in
    _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in
    _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 73,
    in _dispose
    self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Sendmail.py", line 71, in
    process
    assert 0, 'Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly
    discouraged'
    AssertionError: Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly
    discouraged
    ***

    It's funny, Sendmail.py is included with the program source, but the
    documentation says that "Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is
    highly discouraged." Is it possible to use Mailman with sendmail
    without using Sendmail.py? I'd like to use sendmail if possible.

    Thanks for any help you can give!

    --
    David Swanger
    swangdb, Aug 21, 2006

  2. swangdb

    Guest

    >> I am trying to get Mailman to work on this server and so far, no luck.

    >> assert 0, 'Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly
    >> discouraged'
    >> AssertionError: Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly
    >> discouraged
    >> ***

    At the python level, assert 0 is going to fail. You can either hack the
    source to 'assert 1, ...' or, better yet, dig around and see if there's
    another delivery module that works with sendmail better than Sendmail.py.

    >> Thanks for any help you can give!

    One other thing... Have you posted your request to the mailman-users
    mailing list? <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users>
    You're more likely to get a knowledgable Mailman-related answer from the
    folks who use Mailman daily.

    Skip
    , Aug 21, 2006

  3. swangdb wrote:
    > I have a Sun Server running Solaris 10 and Sendmail 8.13.7. I have
    > Majordomo and Listproc installed on this server and they work. I have
    > several production majordomo and listproc mailing lists installed on
    > this server and they work.

    Shesh. That's just a few mailing list managers.

    > I am trying to get Mailman to work on this server and so far, no luck.
    > I installed the software (Mailman 2.1.8 and Python 2.4.3), reconfigured
    > mm_cfg.py, started the software, added the cron entries, created a test
    > mailing list, added the list information to /etc/aliases, ran
    > newaliases and subscribed myself. When I send a message to the list,
    > it doesn't send me a copy of the message (I am the only subscriber to
    > the list). If I look on the list's web site, the message I sent is
    > contained in the archives.

    Are you sure that you are set to receive your own posts to the mailing list? MM has an option for subscribers to not receive their own posts and I can not recall what the default is. I also believe there is a site config default for the value over the source code default.

    > In the Mailman error log, I get messages similar to the following when
    > I send a message to the mailing list:

    <snip>

    > It's funny, Sendmail.py is included with the program source, but the
    > documentation says that "Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is
    > highly discouraged." Is it possible to use Mailman with sendmail
    > without using Sendmail.py? I'd like to use sendmail if possible.

    I am presently using MailMan with Sendmail 8.13.8 with out any problems. I have MM configured as a mailer. I have all my mailing lists on a separate domain that is configured to relay through Sendmail. I use Mailertable to tell Sendmail to use a separate mailer, verses SMTP, to relay messages for my MM sub domains. Note, the mailer config does not use Sendmail.py to deliver messages.

    > Thanks for any help you can give!

    You are welcome.

    Grant. . . .
    Taylor, Grant, Aug 21, 2006
  4. swangdb

    swangdb Guest

    Okay, I removed the "DELIVERY_MODULE = 'Sendmail`" line from mm_cfg.py
    and used the default "DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'" and it now it
    worked, I sent a message to the mailing list and received a copy.

    This was probably right in front of me the whole time.

    swangdb, Aug 21, 2006