MailMessage Headers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Simran, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Simran

    Simran Guest

    I need to set up an automated email system , which means users should
    not be able to respond back to the emails but at the same time, we
    need to track bounced emails. This is important as our customers are
    paying for this service, so we need to track the bounced email Id's.

    This is the code which I have tried:-

    MailMessage msgRequest = new MailMessage();
    msgRequest.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Text;
    msgRequest.Subject = "Do Not reply to this email";
    msgRequest.To = "";
    msgRequest.From = "";
    msgRequest.Body = "Message Body";
    msgRequest.Headers.Add("Return-Path", "");
    //msgRequest.Headers.Add("Errors-To", "");
    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "SMTPServerName";
    SmtpMail.Send(msgRequest);

    I have tried both "Return-Path" and "Errors-to". But both of them
    falied. The functionality that users cannot reply us back works fine
    with this code but this code fails in tracking bounced emails. So for
    invalid email id in "To", have no action reported to "return-path" or
    "errors-to" valid Email Id.

    I have also tried doing this:-

    MailMessage msgRequest = new MailMessage();
    msgRequest.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Text;
    msgRequest.Subject = "Do Not reply to this email";
    msgRequest.To = "";
    msgRequest.From = "";
    msgRequest.Body = "Message Body";
    msgRequest.Headers.Add("From", "");
    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "SMTPServerName";
    SmtpMail.Send(msgRequest);

    Using this code, user only sees and never sees
    so they cannot reply us back. But again this
    code fails for tracking bounced emails. It doesnt send me bounced
    emails at .

    Can somebody suggest me what is going wrong here?

    Quick response will be really appreciated and Thanks in Advance for
    any help.

    Simran, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Simran

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Sounds like you working on a system to spam some poor souls... :)

    a. you should own the smtp server unless you are actually spamming and
    relying on hacked machines to serve as relays.

    b. if a == true then just look in the logs of the smtp servers they usually
    dump the bad emails in a folder.

    c. the headers that you have added i would imagine depend upon the
    underlying smtp server to actually read and return you the bounced email

    HTH

    --

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave
    (http://hdave.blogspot.com)

    Hermit Dave, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Simran

    Hermit Dave Guest

    didnt like the answer or what i bang on target (regarding spamming poor
    souls)?

    --

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave
    (http://hdave.blogspot.com)

    Hermit Dave, Aug 31, 2004
  4. Simran

    Simran Guest

    Thanks a lot for replying but I couldnt completely understand how to
    solve my problem technically. Can you elaborate more on it. I am not
    trying to spam any mails. My code deals with sending automated emails
    to the customers with the information they need but they should not be
    able to reply back to us. This is simple to achieve but the problem
    arises when we want to track those emails which were bounced back
    because of invalid customer id's so that we can contact those
    customers for providing correct email ids.

    Thanks in Advance!!!.

    Simran, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Simran

    Eric Gibson Guest

    Hermit Dave wrote:
    > Sounds like you working on a system to spam some poor souls... :)

    That's absolutely ridiculous. My support and signup system modifies the envelope in
    a similar way, and there are a myriad of reason's to modify the envelope for
    catching bounces in a way that reflect your business rules that have nothing to do
    with spamming...

    Anyway...

    To answer your question, Simran. What mail server are you using?

    Simply adding "Return-Path" on your own, as a header, most of the time won't do
    because the server overwrites it with it's own envelope based on how you are sending
    the message (it almost always will overwrite it with your "From" address, is that
    what is happening to you?). "Return-Path" isn't really a user editable "header" in
    most circumstances, it's a server "envelope". You usually have to configure the
    server to either a) Accept the Return-Path header from you, and write the
    Return-Path accordingly or b) Configure the server to always write the Return-Path
    envelope to the value you want for that user.

    "Errors-To" works a lot of the time, but it's completely up to the mail server on
    the other end whether it will accomodate you or not. It's good to add it though in
    addition to whatever fix you come up with from modifying the return-path on the
    server, because some servers ignore the Return-Path envelope for sending bounces.
    :-0

    Eric

    Eric Gibson, Sep 1, 2004
  6. Simran