MailMessage, SmtpMail, and Hotmail: Why are my messages getting put in Junkmail?

Nathan Sokalski

I am using the MailMessage and SmtpMail classes to allow users of my site to
send me email at my Hotmail email address. However, it always ends up in the
Junkmail folder. Even though I check my Junkmail box, I do not want this to
become a problem if I ever use these classes to have email sent to someone
other than myself. What can I do to avoid having the emails marked as Junk?
Thanks.

Bernie Yaeger

Hi Nathan,

I have never experienced this. Can you show us some code?

Bernie Yaeger

Nathan Sokalski

I do not do anything complicated in my code when creating/sending the email,
I just create a new MailMessage, set the properties, and send it. Here is my
code:

Private Sub btnSubmit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubmit.Click

If Page.IsValid Then

Dim commentMsg As New Mail.MailMessage

commentMsg.BodyFormat = Mail.MailFormat.Html

commentMsg.From = txtEmail.Text

commentMsg.Subject = "Comments on Life With Nate"

commentMsg.To = "(e-mail address removed)"

commentMsg.Body = "<h1>My Heading</h1>"

Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "localhost"

Mail.SmtpMail.Send(commentMsg)

End If

End Sub

When I check my JunkMail box and look at the email, it looks exactly as I
expected it to, so I know that my coding is correct. I just need to know how
to make the message not look like junkmail. Thanks.

Guest

Hello, Nathan:
On Sun, 29 May 2005 15:10:30 -0400: you wrote...

NS> I am using the MailMessage and SmtpMail classes to allow users of my
NS> site to send me email at my Hotmail email address. However, it always
NS> ends up in the Junkmail folder. Even though I check my Junkmail box, I
NS> do not want this to become a problem if I ever use these classes to
NS> have email sent to someone other than myself. What can I do to avoid
NS> having the emails marked as Junk? Thanks.

A host may junk any email based on a number of factors including content,
keywords, sender, originating IP, etc. Try sending yourself a more wordy
email avoiding anything that may sound spamish. Also, Hotmail has various
filter levels that could impact on your received email. One of those levels
is exclusive which allows only mail from senders in your addressbook to make
it into INBOX. Your hosting service could be flagged as a potential spam
source, too.

http://www.paulsadowski.com/WSH/ for some CDO stuff if you really think it's
somehow a .NET issue. But I doubt that.

Regards, Paul R. Sadowski [MVP].

...winston

A few options
a. Add your address to the hotmail contacts list
b. Add your domain name to the safe list

:I am using the MailMessage and SmtpMail classes to allow users of my site
: send me email at my Hotmail email address. However, it always ends up in
the
: Junkmail folder. Even though I check my Junkmail box, I do not want this
: become a problem if I ever use these classes to have email sent to someone
: other than myself. What can I do to avoid having the emails marked as
Junk?
: Thanks.
: --
: Nathan Sokalski
: (e-mail address removed)
: http://www.nathansokalski.com/
:
:

Nathan Sokalski

I think you misunderstood my question. I know how to prevent it from going
into my JunkMail box, but when sending a MailMessage to other people
(visitors to my site), how can I prevent it from going into their JunkMail
box?

...winston

AFAIK you can't control their mail accounts. They are required to configure
each of their accounts dependent upon their mail client and isp mail options
to ensure delivery to their Inbox.
..winston

:I think you misunderstood my question. I know how to prevent it from going
: into my JunkMail box, but when sending a MailMessage to other people
: (visitors to my site), how can I prevent it from going into their JunkMail
: box?
: --
: Nathan Sokalski
: (e-mail address removed)
: http://www.nathansokalski.com/
:
: : >A few options
: > a. Add your address to the hotmail contacts list
: > b. Add your domain name to the safe list
: >
: > : > :I am using the MailMessage and SmtpMail classes to allow users of my
site
: > : send me email at my Hotmail email address. However, it always ends up
in
: > the
: > : Junkmail folder. Even though I check my Junkmail box, I do not want
this
: > : become a problem if I ever use these classes to have email sent to
: > someone
: > : other than myself. What can I do to avoid having the emails marked as
: > Junk?
: > : Thanks.
: > : --
: > : Nathan Sokalski