MAILTO: entries in the SUBJECT field

justin

HI

can anybody help me with this ? I want to input something in the subject
field of the users emails.
I am using the following code :

I have tried subject="I would like to purchae": but that obviously doesn't
work LOL

<center>
<form action="MAILTO:[email protected]" method="post"
enctype="text/plain">
<input type="submit" value="Send email">
</center>
</form>

Thanks for any help you can offer

Justin

brucie

in post: <
Whitecrest said:
You are better off to use a form. There are plenty of them out there,
and brucie probably have a few links that would help you.

i already did in the other NG but here are some more form script
thingys:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Form_Processors/
http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Form_Processors/
http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/Form_Processors/
remotely hosted:
http://www.hotscripts.com/Remotely_Hosted/Form_Processors/

mailto command?

Whitecrest

aotf79 said:
HI
can anybody help me with this ? I want to input something in the subject
field of the users emails.

Probably already mentioned (about a million times) But what you are
trying to do, usually does not work. You are better off to use a form.
There are plenty of them out there, and brucie probably have a few links
that would help you.

But, if you must,

John McGaw

justin said:
HI

can anybody help me with this ? I want to input something in the subject
field of the users emails.
I am using the following code :

I have tried subject="I would like to purchae": but that obviously doesn't
work LOL

<center>
<form action="MAILTO:[email protected]" method="post"
enctype="text/plain">
<input type="submit" value="Send email">
</center>
</form>

Thanks for any help you can offer

Justin

I use a javascript-generated mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Web_Site and
it works fine so far as I can tell. Probably there are combinations of
browsers and mail clients where it won't work though but until it becomes an
overwhelming problem I'm not going to sweat it too much.

Hywel

I use a javascript-generated mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Web_Site and
it works fine so far as I can tell.

Good. You keep on believing that.

Probably there are combinations of
browsers and mail clients where it won't work

Such as Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

though but until it becomes an
overwhelming problem I'm not going to sweat it too much.

You'll never know when it's a problem.

Mitja

Hywel said:
Good. You keep on believing that.

^^^^^

Such as Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

Eh? Works for me. And IE+OE combination means a great deal of users,
although still not many enough to use the ?subject= approach.

Hywel

Eh? Works for me.

Good for you. It's always important that mailto: works for the
developer and not his site's visitors.

And IE+OE combination means a great deal of users,
although still not many enough to use the ?subject= approach.

It also means that many of those users at some point may be making
purchases or completing contact forms from Internet cafes, work, or any
other location where they either do not have access to a mail client
that is configured for their use, or they wish to use a different email
address.

John McGaw

Hywel said:
Good. You keep on believing that.

Such as Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

You'll never know when it's a problem.

Works in IE (several recent versions), Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera. The
first three are using OE and the last insists on using Opera's mail client
for some reason. Care to give me an example of a mainstream browser in which
it won't work so I might consider repenting my evil ways? As for not knowing
when it's a problem, I give the proper e-mail address in the bot-foiling
form of an image just in case the default method fails.

Whitecrest

Works in IE (several recent versions), Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera...

You are missing the point I think. It is not that it does not work on
several platforms, but rather it will NEVER work if someone does not use
a mail client. More and more people are using web based mail systems.
Most companies that use Exchange offer a web based mail client for their
employees.

Form mail, ALWAYS works.

Now if you are sure that everyone (or at least enough of your visitors
to keep you in business) are going to use a Mail client, then by all
means use this method. If not, then use a form. They really are easy
to set up. Ad there are plenty of free ones out there. brucie offered
several links.

brucie

in post: <
Whitecrest said:
Now if you are sure that everyone (or at least enough of your visitors
to keep you in business) are going to use a Mail client, then by all
means use this method.

i wouldn't recommend it. it gives the impression of being cheap and
nasty with overtones of being a bit dodgy. your credibility disappears
out the window.

Whitecrest

i wouldn't recommend it. it gives the impression of being cheap and
nasty with overtones of being a bit dodgy. your credibility disappears
out the window.

Me either (2 years ago I would have, but I have learned since then)

See beat me with a stick long enough and I can be taught. Actually
putting a leather collar on me and I can be taught too, but that is for
a different thread...

Hywel

Whitecrest said:
Me either (2 years ago I would have, but I have learned since then)

See beat me with a stick long enough and I can be taught. Actually
putting a leather collar on me and I can be taught too, but that is for
a different thread...

Now you're just giving brucie ideas.

Hywel

Works in IE (several recent versions), Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera. The
first three are using OE and the last insists on using Opera's mail client
for some reason. Care to give me an example of a mainstream browser in which
it won't work so I might consider repenting my evil ways?

Yup. It never works on my set-up.

Christine Forber

John said:
"Hywel" <hywelje

Works in IE (several recent versions), Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera.

Doesn't work for me with Mozilla. But then I don't have Mozilla
configured for email, nor do I have it set to take me to Eudora, which I
do use for email. So any form with "mailto" fails for me. Oh well, I go
elsewhere.

The point is that it depends on the user's setup, not their browser. And
you can't check everyone's setup, can you?