    and then when a user clicks on send intercept that form and recreate the
    email on the server and add a file to it?

    Thanks
    Mark Goldin, Oct 22, 2003

  2. > Is it possible using mailto: to create an email with everything except an
    > attachment
    > and then when a user clicks on send intercept that form and recreate the
    > email on the server and add a file to it?

    No, you are confusing mailto: (which runs exclusively on the client) with
    server-side mailing functionality (which runs exclusively on the server).

    Instead, have a form that is submitted to the server, and the server-side
    deals with sending the mail *and* attaching the file to it.
    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Oct 22, 2003

  3. Mark Goldin

    Mark Goldin Guest

    I understand the mechanics behind mailto:.
    What I was thinking is using mailto: to create a complete mail on a client
    without an attachment and then when a user sends email reroute it to a
    server for a file attachment and forwarding.

    Mark Goldin, Oct 22, 2003
  4. > What I was thinking is using mailto: to create a complete mail on a client
    > without an attachment and then when a user sends email reroute it to a
    > server for a file attachment and forwarding.

    Mail is sent to an SMTP server, not an application server. ASP has no way
    to know that mail is being sent anywhere. You can only "intercept" mail
    before it is sent along this way... e.g. if you generate the e-mail from the
    server side.

    mailto: is a very unreliable method, by the way. Some people don't have a
    default mail reader defined, some people have default mail readers that
    don't support mailto:, a few will modify the form contents and change the
    destination and several other attributes, and the rest can choose to just
    close the mail window and nothing gets sent at all
    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Oct 22, 2003