MailTo Hyperlink in Gridview

Stuart Ferguson

I am currently writing an application in ASP.Net which has a bound
Gridview however i require to add a column with a mailto link in it.
After many questions in the c# IRC room it was decided that a templat
column was the best way which i have put in and the basic mailto a bound
address is file however i want to add to the mailto link a subject and
some other info, how do i go about this? I know how its done in standard
HTML but in this case i am using the binding of the Hyperlink and im not
sure how to do it using the DataBinder expressions. Any help is
appreciated.

Many Thanks In Advance

Stuart

Stuart Ferguson

Thanks for answering so quickly srini.

WIll this example be valid for ASP.NET 2.0 (shud have mentioned this in
original question)

Best Wishes

Stuart

Guest

Hi,
I didnt check on ASP.Net 2.0 but it should work without any problem.. just
use the code in the webform1.aspx.cs if u have problems opening or running
the project.

Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Email subject in gridview

Here is the code for including the subject in your code in a detailsview of GridView in 2.0

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Email">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:HyperLink ID="EmailLink" text='<%# Bind("job_email") %>' NavigateUrl='<%# Eval("job_email","mailto:{0}?Subject=Career/Employment Inquiry")%>' runat="server" target="_blank" />
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>

Job_email is pulled from a SQL query in this case

Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
MailTo Hyperlink in Gridview without template field

I have had the same problem but found a quick way to work around it.

Simply use the DataTextField and DataTextFormatString properties instead. The DataTextFormatString would be something similar to DataTextFormatString="<a href=mailto:{0}>{0}</a>" instead of the DataNavigateUrlFormatString property.

<asp:HyperLinkField HeaderText="Email" DataTextField="Email" DataTextFormatString="<a href=mailto:{0}>{0}</a>" />

Hope this helps.
-Dan