mailto in html

hehehe

Hello!

Im trying to create mailto link form html page like this:
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?Subject=subject&Body=<b>bold text</b>">click
here</A>

but when i klik on page in computer where outlook2000 is installed new mail
widow appers but in RTF format. What i need to add to automaticly mail will
be create in html format?

Regards

John Hosking

hehehe said:
Im trying to create mailto link form html page like this:
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?Subject=subject&Body=<b>bold text</b>">click
here</A>

I would not expect the bold tags to be useful. They might even cause
some breakage in certain mail clients. I believe these tags are invalid
within the <a> element. (But maybe escapes would help.)
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.2>

I know this is only an example, but "click here" is about the least
useful text ever.

Maybe you could try something more like:
<a
href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=relevant%20subject&body=bold%20text">send
me a mail</a>

And of course, mailto: links are susceptible to spambots roaming the
Web. Perhaps a contact form would be better for your needs (or, you
know, maybe not).
<http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tips/html/html_mailto_attribute_html_tips.php3>
but when i klik on page in computer where outlook2000 is installed new mail
widow appers but in RTF format. What i need to add to automaticly mail will
be create in html format?

Surely this depends on the configuration of that instance of Outlook
2000 on that one PC (yours). Go to the Mail Format tab of the Options
menu item, and change the format from Rich Text to HTML.

Other visitors will have their own settings.

Other (non-Microsoft) clients won't even have Rich Text as an option, so
that's good for you. However many might not have HTML capability, or
have chosen Plain Text, so that's "bad". I suggest you not worry about
it. Or do you have some requirement that they send you e-mail in HTML?
Do you think the "bold text" will really appear in bold then?

HTH

SAZ

Hello!

Im trying to create mailto link form html page like this:
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?Subject=subject&Body=<b>bold text</b>">click
here</A>

but when i klik on page in computer where outlook2000 is installed new mail
widow appers but in RTF format. What i need to add to automaticly mail will
be create in html format?

Regards
The html, rtf or plain text format is dependent upon the user's Outlook
(or any email client) personal settings - you can't control it.

hehehe

I have sen mail format : html and everythiks ok when i create mailto witouth
body but when i add body new mail sudenly change to rtf ??? why??

dorayme

John Hosking said:
I know this is only an example, but "click here" is about the least
useful text ever.

Mind you, it is nowhere near the back of the queue. In front of it is,
in no particular order:

Don't click here
Click over there
WTF are you staring at?

and so on...

dorayme

[QUOTE="Ed Mullen said:
Mind you, it is nowhere near the back of the queue. ...

Honestly. What is not clear about "click here?" It may not be elegant,
nor even grammatical in some contexts, but, still? "... Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

One main argument against 'click here' is that no information is given
about where the user is going in the element text. Now, if you make it
perfectly clear otherwise where the user is going, the charge is often
one of inelegance. It is usually more economical to simply make the link
speak for itself.

dorayme

Ed Mullen <[email protected]> said:
dorayme wrote: ....

Well, sorta, ok.

But, please, cite an existence of some real-world example where a "Click
Here" link didn't provide enough context so the reader could discern
that "clicking here" would move them to "that place."

Give me a short while to check all of the cases out:

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,860,000,000 for "click here". (0.21
seconds)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
One main argument against 'click here' is that no information is
given about where the user is going in the element text. Now, if you
make it perfectly clear otherwise where the user is going, the charge
is often one of inelegance. It is usually more economical to simply
make the link speak for itself.

Isn't the argument that search engines pay a bit more attention to <a
link text than regular content, and googling for "Click Here" is
unproductive?

http://www.google.com/search?q="click+here"
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,820,000,000 for "click here". (0.15 seconds)

(Well, it's obvious Adobe give the Mighty Goog a lot of loot. First;
http://get.adobe.com/reader/
a page that does not even contain the text "Click Here"...)

freemont

Nonsensical arguments about nothing. Pedantic. Arguing for the sake of
arguing. Silly.

I think you've summed up about 60% of the content here and in a.w.w over
the last year or two. Another 35% is personal flamewars and pissing
contests. Then there's 5% useful information. Sound about right? ;-)

dorayme

[QUOTE="Ed Mullen said:
Give me a short while to check all of the cases out:

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,860,000,000 for "click here". (0.21
seconds)

Honest, I only meant to ask for ONE![/QUOTE]

No, I absolutely insist Ed! I have done you wrong in the paragraph
thread and I mean to make it up to you. I am up to 18,600 and they have
all been perfectly understandable from the context... Looks like you
might have had a point.

dorayme

freemont said:
I think you've summed up about 60% of the content here and in a.w.w over
the last year or two. Another 35% is personal flamewars and pissing
contests. Then there's 5% useful information. Sound about right? ;-)

You left out the jokes, the screamingly funny, rolling on the floor
paroxysmic stuff. 0%?

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Isn't the argument that search engines pay a bit more attention to <a
link text than regular content, and googling for "Click Here" is
unproductive?

The first bit is a good point.

Only an idiot would google for "Click here". Oops... hang on... that's
me!

dorayme

Ben C said:
One main argument against 'click here' is that no information is given
about where the user is going in the element text. Now, if you make it
perfectly clear otherwise where the user is going, the charge is often
one of inelegance. It is usually more economical to simply make the link
speak for itself.

These are good arguments, but I read somewhere [citation needed] that
people respond well to direct commands.

Tell them jump and they ask how high. Tell them to click here and that's
what they do.

Links with boring words like, "read more information" got the fewest
clicks in the study.

Perhaps people just like going on surprise destinations, the child in us
all, the mystery journey. Maybe there are studies of associated eyeball
reactions somewhere. Maybe the eyes of those who use Click me's a lot
will be found to grow their eyes in wonder and anticipation like kids
do... <g>

freemont

You left out the jokes, the screamingly funny, rolling on the floor
paroxysmic stuff. 0%?

Pirate goes in a bar with a steering wheel hanging outta his fly.
Bartender says, "Hey, buddy, you know there's a steering wheel hanging
outta yer fly?"
Pirate says, "ARRRR, it's driving me nuts!"

dorayme

freemont said:
Pirate goes in a bar with a steering wheel hanging outta his fly.
Bartender says, "Hey, buddy, you know there's a steering wheel hanging
outta yer fly?"
Pirate says, "ARRRR, it's driving me nuts!"

<g>

I like bar jokes.

This shadow walks into a bar.

"I'll have a Claytons." it says

"Figures!" says the barman.

rf

freemont said:
Pirate goes in a bar with a steering wheel hanging outta his fly.
Bartender says, "Hey, buddy, you know there's a steering wheel hanging
outta yer fly?"
Pirate says, "ARRRR, it's driving me nuts!"

Bloke says to the bartender: Just between you and me we have five, and I'd
like a free beer just to prove it to the milling croud. Bartender says: Wow.
I've never met a bloke with four of them before.

Phil Kempster

rf said:
Bloke says to the bartender: Just between you and me we have five, and I'd
like a free beer just to prove it to the milling croud. Bartender says: Wow.
I've never met a bloke with four of them before.

Termite goes into a bar and asks "Where's the bar tender?"

John Hosking

Oh, it's clear. We are supposed to click here (on the (probably) blue
underlined link). But what'll happen? Where will we land? What *is* the
link? Which last question takes us back to the Semantic Web discussions.
One main argument against 'click here' is that no information is given
about where the user is going in the element text. Now, if you make it
perfectly clear otherwise where the user is going, the charge is often
one of inelegance. It is usually more economical to simply make the link
speak for itself.

These are good arguments, but I read somewhere [citation needed] that
people respond well to direct commands.

Tell them jump and they ask how high. Tell them to click here and that's
what they do.

Links with boring words like, "read more information" got the fewest
clicks in the study.

Well, now I'm confused (as if wasn't ever before). Isn't "read more
information" a direct command?
;-)

Raymond Schmit

I have sen mail format : html and everythiks ok when i create mailto witouth
body but when i add body new mail sudenly change to rtf ??? why??
Ask Outllook ......

Not everybody use outlook as mail client .......

A friend usues your method to create a mail with a subject, and a body
containing all input zones from the form.

I have SeaMonkey as my browserr and default mail client.
The only mail i get is an empty one ....

When i told this to my friend, he just say: ho ! it works for
everybody ...WHICH IS NOT TRUE.

If you really want to create a sophisticated mail from a from - please
use the mail() command inside a php page.