    I have to use mailto so the pages opens up the users default client. I need
    to format the body of the email in HTML format so I can show some the text
    in bold, italics and underlined? Is this possible to do? if so how?
    Mike, Dec 28, 2007

  2. Mike

    Evertjan. Guest

    Mike wrote on 28 dec 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > I have to use mailto so the pages opens up the users default client. I
    > need to format the body of the email in HTML format so I can show some
    > the text in bold, italics and underlined? Is this possible to do? if
    > so how?

    Wrong NG.

    Classic ASP is totally serverside
    and has nothing to do with browser issues.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Dec 28, 2007

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    its a generic question and not a browser issue, so I take it you have no
    clue on how to do this.

    Mike, Dec 28, 2007
  4. Mike

    Evertjan. Guest

    Mike wrote on 28 dec 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >> Mike wrote on 28 dec 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    >>
    >>> I have to use mailto so the pages opens up the users default client.
    >>> I need to format the body of the email in HTML format so I can show
    >>> some the text in bold, italics and underlined? Is this possible to
    >>> do? if so how?

    >> Wrong NG.
    >>
    >> Classic ASP is totally serverside
    >> and has nothing to do with browser issues.

    [Please do not toppost on usenet]

    > its a generic question and not a browser issue,

    You are wrong, it is a browser issue,
    As the implementation of "mailto" is browser specific,
    but, even if it was not,
    this NG is a generic question NG.

    "How do I wash my car?" would be as generic.

    > so I take it you have no clue on how to do this.

    So?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Dec 28, 2007
  5. 1. Your logic skills need some work: advising you that you have posted
    in the wrong group does not equate to "not having a clue". I'm sure with
    a little thought, you can come up with an alternative reason for his
    failure to answer an offtopic question.

    2. What is the relevance of its being a "generic" question? Is the name
    of this group "ask.your.generic.questions.here"?

    3. No, it is not a generic question: it is specifically a browser/html
    issue which has nothing to do with server-side ASP (hint - you would
    have the same question if you were creating a .htm page as opposed to a
    ..asp page). HTML issues are handled in these groups:
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039
    (Hint 2: a better response would have been "Oh, sorry, I didn't realize.
    Could you tell me a better place to ask this question?" )

    Having said all that (some of us do choose to deal with offtopic
    questions), it's been years since I used mailto so my short answer is
    (someone correct me if my memory is faulty about this): the only thing
    you can put in the mailto url is text that will be accepted as a valid
    url. To embed some html in your mailto string, you will have to
    urlencode the string. Google should get you some info on using
    urlencode. Of course, that increases the length of your string and,
    depending on what browser you are using (see?) limits what you can put
    in the url. If that is too limiting, you will need to use an alternative
    to mailto (e.g., server-side CDO, which is on-topic in this group).

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 28, 2007
  6. Mike

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote:

    >I have to use mailto so the pages opens up the users default client. I need
    >to format the body of the email in HTML format so I can show some the text
    >in bold, italics and underlined? Is this possible to do? if so how?

    mailto depends entirely on the user's email client. If your user has
    no email client installed, the mailto won't work. And as far as I
    know, you can specify only a title in a mailto link, not a body. And
    definitely not a formatted body. And it's entirely client-side, so not
    appropriate for a group that discusses ASP, a server-side technology.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(Shell/User)

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
    Tim Slattery, Dec 28, 2007
  7. Mike

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Please do not bottom post on usenet. I hate scrolling to see the answer. I
    already read the thread.

    If you do some research, you will see that people use both techniques on
    usenet. there is no PREFERRED approach.

    Sure, send the link that shows I'm wrong. I'm sure you will. And I suspect
    you'll bottom post the link, so I'll have to scroll all the way down to see
    it!

    Jeff Dillon, Dec 28, 2007
  8. Mike

    Evertjan. Guest

    Jeff Dillon wrote on 28 dec 2007 in

    > Please do not bottom post on usenet. I hate scrolling to see the
    > answer. I already read the thread.
    >
    > If you do some research, you will see that people use both techniques
    > on usenet. there is no PREFERRED approach.

    You made 5 mistakes of reasoning on this, Jef.

    1 is thinking that what you hate is what Netiquette is about.

    Well it is not. Netiquette is ment for a logical use of usenet.

    2 is that you think not topposting is the same as bottomposting.

    Well it is not. Please do sparce interpost, quoting only the bare minimum
    needed to have the readers follow the thread.

    3 is that you allready read the thread is important.

    Well it is not, since this is NOT email, but usenet, and my posting is
    not exclusively or not even primarily directed at you, but to anyone in
    the NG that wants to read it.

    4 that what people do is always the measure of things.

    Well it is not. People tend to make mistakes or are wrongly informed, or
    just stubborn, not listening to reason.

    > Sure, send the link that shows I'm wrong. I'm sure you will. And I
    > suspect you'll bottom post the link, so I'll have to scroll all the
    > way down to see it!

    4 That you are sure.

    Nonsense, scrolling all the way down is about bottomposting, which is not
    what not topposting is about, as I showed you in 2.

    That you are sure can be even simply proved wrong.
    Where is that link you were so sure about?

    =====================

    Now shall we go back to discussing ASP in an orderly fashion, knowing
    what is ment by orderly?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Dec 28, 2007
  9. Mike

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    You have anger issues. I've seen your other posts. A few years ago, you
    seemed much more calm. What happened?

    Jeff Dillon, Dec 28, 2007
  10. Mike

    Evertjan. Guest

    Jeff Dillon wrote on 29 dec 2007 in

    > You have anger issues. I've seen your other posts. A few years ago,
    > you seemed much more calm. What happened?

    The result of your illogical topposting, Jeff, is that you don't answer
    the question posted. Perhaps you didn't even see it.

    Do you feel attacked, perchance?

    Evertjan., Dec 28, 2007
  11. Mike

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    I laugh at you..ha ha

    Jeff Dillon, Jan 6, 2008
  12. Mike

    Evertjan. Guest

    Jeff Dillon wrote on 06 jan 2008 in

    > I laugh at you..ha ha

    I am always in for a laugh.

    Do you know the story of the Rabbi and the asped General, Jeff?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jan 6, 2008