mailto - question

Mike

I have to use mailto so the pages opens up the users default client. I need
to format the body of the email in HTML format so I can show some the text
in bold, italics and underlined? Is this possible to do? if so how?

Evertjan.

Mike wrote on 28 dec 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I have to use mailto so the pages opens up the users default client. I
need to format the body of the email in HTML format so I can show some
the text in bold, italics and underlined? Is this possible to do? if
so how?

Wrong NG.

Classic ASP is totally serverside
and has nothing to do with browser issues.

Mike

its a generic question and not a browser issue, so I take it you have no
clue on how to do this.

Evertjan.

Mike wrote on 28 dec 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
[Please do not toppost on usenet]
its a generic question and not a browser issue,

You are wrong, it is a browser issue,
As the implementation of "mailto" is browser specific,
but, even if it was not,
this NG is a generic question NG.

"How do I wash my car?" would be as generic.
so I take it you have no clue on how to do this.

So?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

1. Your logic skills need some work: advising you that you have posted
in the wrong group does not equate to "not having a clue". I'm sure with
a little thought, you can come up with an alternative reason for his
failure to answer an offtopic question.

2. What is the relevance of its being a "generic" question? Is the name
of this group "ask.your.generic.questions.here"?

3. No, it is not a generic question: it is specifically a browser/html
issue which has nothing to do with server-side ASP (hint - you would
have the same question if you were creating a .htm page as opposed to a
..asp page). HTML issues are handled in these groups:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039
(Hint 2: a better response would have been "Oh, sorry, I didn't realize.
Could you tell me a better place to ask this question?" )

Having said all that (some of us do choose to deal with offtopic
questions), it's been years since I used mailto so my short answer is
(someone correct me if my memory is faulty about this): the only thing
you can put in the mailto url is text that will be accepted as a valid
url. To embed some html in your mailto string, you will have to
urlencode the string. Google should get you some info on using
urlencode. Of course, that increases the length of your string and,
depending on what browser you are using (see?) limits what you can put
in the url. If that is too limiting, you will need to use an alternative
to mailto (e.g., server-side CDO, which is on-topic in this group).

Tim Slattery

Mike said:
I have to use mailto so the pages opens up the users default client. I need
to format the body of the email in HTML format so I can show some the text
in bold, italics and underlined? Is this possible to do? if so how?

mailto depends entirely on the user's email client. If your user has
no email client installed, the mailto won't work. And as far as I
know, you can specify only a title in a mailto link, not a body. And
definitely not a formatted body. And it's entirely client-side, so not
appropriate for a group that discusses ASP, a server-side technology.

Jeff Dillon

Please do not bottom post on usenet. I hate scrolling to see the answer. I
already read the thread.

If you do some research, you will see that people use both techniques on
usenet. there is no PREFERRED approach.

Sure, send the link that shows I'm wrong. I'm sure you will. And I suspect
you'll bottom post the link, so I'll have to scroll all the way down to see
it!

Evertjan. said:
Mike wrote on 28 dec 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
[Please do not toppost on usenet]
its a generic question and not a browser issue,

You are wrong, it is a browser issue,
As the implementation of "mailto" is browser specific,
but, even if it was not,
this NG is a generic question NG.

"How do I wash my car?" would be as generic.
so I take it you have no clue on how to do this.

So?

Evertjan.

Jeff Dillon wrote on 28 dec 2007 in
Please do not bottom post on usenet. I hate scrolling to see the
answer. I already read the thread.

If you do some research, you will see that people use both techniques
on usenet. there is no PREFERRED approach.

You made 5 mistakes of reasoning on this, Jef.

1 is thinking that what you hate is what Netiquette is about.

Well it is not. Netiquette is ment for a logical use of usenet.

2 is that you think not topposting is the same as bottomposting.

Well it is not. Please do sparce interpost, quoting only the bare minimum
needed to have the readers follow the thread.

3 is that you allready read the thread is important.

Well it is not, since this is NOT email, but usenet, and my posting is
not exclusively or not even primarily directed at you, but to anyone in
the NG that wants to read it.

4 that what people do is always the measure of things.

Well it is not. People tend to make mistakes or are wrongly informed, or
just stubborn, not listening to reason.
Sure, send the link that shows I'm wrong. I'm sure you will. And I
suspect you'll bottom post the link, so I'll have to scroll all the
way down to see it!

4 That you are sure.

Nonsense, scrolling all the way down is about bottomposting, which is not
what not topposting is about, as I showed you in 2.

That you are sure can be even simply proved wrong.
Where is that link you were so sure about?

=====================

Now shall we go back to discussing ASP in an orderly fashion, knowing
what is ment by orderly?

Jeff Dillon

You have anger issues. I've seen your other posts. A few years ago, you
seemed much more calm. What happened?

Evertjan.

Jeff Dillon wrote on 29 dec 2007 in
You have anger issues. I've seen your other posts. A few years ago,
you seemed much more calm. What happened?

The result of your illogical topposting, Jeff, is that you don't answer
the question posted. Perhaps you didn't even see it.

Do you feel attacked, perchance?

Jeff Dillon

I laugh at you..ha ha

Evertjan. said:
Jeff Dillon wrote on 29 dec 2007 in
You have anger issues. I've seen your other posts. A few years ago,
you seemed much more calm. What happened?

The result of your illogical topposting, Jeff, is that you don't answer
the question posted. Perhaps you didn't even see it.

Do you feel attacked, perchance?

Evertjan.

Jeff Dillon wrote on 06 jan 2008 in
I laugh at you..ha ha

I am always in for a laugh.

Do you know the story of the Rabbi and the asped General, Jeff?