mailto: subject line

Chuck

Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?

I am currently using:

Email <a href="mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]</a> for more
information.

I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
subject line of the email.

Thanks a million!

Chuck

Sid Ismail

: Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?
:
: I am currently using:
:
: Email <a href="mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]</a> for more
: information.
:
:
: I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
: subject line of the email.

Use a CGI script. Plenty out there.

Sid

Bart van den Burg

Chuck said:
Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?

I am currently using:

Email <a href="mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]</a> for more
information.

I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
subject line of the email.

Thanks a million!

Chuck

You shouldn't use mailto:, because you can never tell what the browser will
do with it
Internet Explorer and Outlook express work quite well together, so in that
case:
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?subject=yourSubject">Mailme</A>
But who knows what other browsers will do with it..........

Bart

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
Ok... I figured it was something simple! :)

You should read the following for some good advice on why this is a bad
idea...

How Can I Add a Subject or CC to a Mailto Link?
http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/faq.htm#mailtosubject

The Mythical Mailto
http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html

.... and the following for some good advice on how to post here...

How To Post in Newsgroups:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

.... Hope that helps,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!
"How strange the change from major to minor..."

Chuck

Am I not posting correctly?
If not, why?

nice.guy.nige said:
You should read the following for some good advice on why this is a bad
idea...

How Can I Add a Subject or CC to a Mailto Link?
http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/faq.htm#mailtosubject

The Mythical Mailto
http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html

... and the following for some good advice on how to post here...

How To Post in Newsgroups:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

... Hope that helps,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!
"How strange the change from major to minor..."

Chuck

No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will read
it when I get a chance.
From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply below the
quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time to read it.
If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.

As far as why, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want a answer...

Chuck

Leif K-Brooks

Chuck said:
No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will read
it when I get a chance.
If you don't have time to read a reasonably short article (no, it isn't
an article), then how do you have time to post to Usenet?
From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply below the
quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time to read it.
If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.
And what reason is that? Annoying people?

Mark Parnell

Chuck said:
No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will
read it when I get a chance.
From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply
below the quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time
to read it.

Yes, amongst other things. But that is the bit William was drawing your
attention to in particular.
If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.

Which is? Please, do tell.
As far as why, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want a answer...

The article (no, not a novel) explains all...

Chuck

Actually I was thinking it was later than it is.
I have to leave for work shortly so I didn't think that I had time to read
it.

Now that I realize the correct time I did read over the article.

Again. I will continuing "top posting".

If you don't like the way I post, then don't read my post.

At least I am courteous enough to put some blank spaces in my replies so the
people who read my post can tell where I have made comments. Your post just
runs together with the previous post.

I'm not here to annoy other people. The reason I do it is because if someone
is following the thread, they don't have to waste time to scroll down
through text they have seen 10 times already to get to my comments. I prefer
reading threads like this and I will continue to post this way. If I am
picking up a thread that has already started, then I will take the time to
read the text below to catch up on the thread.

Good enough, Leif?

Mark Parnell

Chuck said:
Again. I will continuing "top posting".

Then most people here will ignore your posts, including the resident
experts. Chances are you'll find your way into a few killfiles, too.
If you don't like the way I post, then don't read my post.

We won't. And you won't get much help, because no one will be reading your
posts.
I'm not here to annoy other people.

Then follow the accepted conventions.
The reason I do it is because if
someone is following the thread, they don't have to waste time to
scroll down through text they have seen 10 times already to get to my
comments.

If you trim quotes appropriately, then there should rarely be more than
about 2 levels of quotes to scroll through. And the quotes that are there
are the bits that are relevant to the current discussion.
Good enough, Leif?

Afraid not.

(No, I'm not having an identity crisis. I know I'm not Leif. Not today,
anway. ;-) )

Chuck

If I come in with a question, I'm sure I will get some replies. Always
have... If I make it to some "kill files", who cares?

There were 11 posts before you made your first reply. I guess that you are
following this thread, huh?

My question is, I have posted regularly in various NG's over the past 5
years or so. Why is this the first time anyone has ever mentioned anything
about "top posting"? Most of the other NG's I post are pretty vicious and
would sure make an issue of it if I was doing something wrong!

Off to work... Can't wait to see ya'll bright and early in the morning...

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
If I come in with a question, I'm sure I will get some replies. Always
have... If I make it to some "kill files", who cares?

If the people who have killfiled you have the correct answers to your
problems, then *you* should care.

I gave you that link because you had top-posted. I gave you that link to
show you the accepted posting convention in this group (and many others -
indeed, most of the groups I subscribe to). I gave you that link to allow
you to learn why we don't like top-posting in this and many other groups. I
could have been arsey and said "Stupid f**king top-poster!" but I didn't,
because that is not the kind of person I am. I gave you the chance to fit
into our community, but you have decided that you don't want to be a part of
it. Remember that nobody here is getting paid to answer your questions. This
is not your 24 hour help desk. We are all taking time away from our other
lives - indeed, many here are taking time away from paid work - to offer our
assistance, advice and opinions to each other. I personally have learnt a
great deal from this group, and continue to do so. If you want to be a part
of this great community, then by all means join in, but please respect the
local conventions, as you would in any real life community. Otherwise, you
stand to be ignored and / or killfiled by the very people who can offer you
the very best help here. You choose.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!
"How strange the change from major to minor..."

Chuck

Nige,

I appreciate your pointing that out to me.

Do you think that this is really something to get all worked up about?

I have a reason that I "top post" and don't wish to change.

Again, I have posted here many times before along with other NG's and
this is the only time anyone has said anything about it.

I don't feel that I have been a smartass or tried to cause trouble. I
am just stating why I do it.

I realize that you guys are helping others out and doing it for free.
Thank you for your time and efforts.

Again, without trying to be a smartass, if someone doesn't like to see
my "top posts" I feel they don't have to look at them. There are
plenty of people that will overlook such a petty thing and answer my
questions.

Chuck

Charles Banas

Chuck said:
No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will read
it when I get a chance.
From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply below the
quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time to read it.
If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.
i'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you are ASKING for flames
by saying that.

Sid Ismail

: No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel.

And we don't have time to read your drivel.

Sid

Sid Ismail

: If you don't like the way I post, then don't read my post.

Buzz off, child. You may not drive on the RHS in UK or South Africa!
There are standard practices to adhere to.

Usenet is not free-for-all USA.

Sid