    Chuck

    --

    I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
    Chuck, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Chuck

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:10:47 GMT, "Chuck" <> wrote:

    : Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?
    :
    : I am currently using:
    :
    : Email <a href="mailto:p"></a> for more
    : information.
    :
    :
    : I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
    : subject line of the email.

    Use a CGI script. Plenty out there.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Sep 1, 2003

  3. "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?
    >
    > I am currently using:
    >
    > Email <a href="mailto:p"></a> for

    more
    > information.
    >

    > I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
    > subject line of the email.
    >
    > Thanks a million!
    >
    > Chuck
    >

    > --
    >
    > I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.

    You shouldn't use mailto:, because you can never tell what the browser will
    do with it
    Internet Explorer and Outlook express work quite well together, so in that
    case:
    <A HREF="mailto:?subject=yourSubject">Mailme</A>
    But who knows what other browsers will do with it..........

    Bart
    Bart van den Burg, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Ok... I figured it was something simple! :)

    Thanks!

    Chuck, Sep 1, 2003
  5. While the city slept, Chuck <> feverishly typed:
    > "Bart van den Burg" <> wrote in message
    >> You shouldn't use mailto:, because you can never tell what the
    >> browser will do with it
    >> Internet Explorer and Outlook express work quite well together, so
    >> in that case:
    >> <A HREF="mailto:?subject=yourSubject">Mailme</A>
    >> But who knows what other browsers will do with it..........

    > Ok... I figured it was something simple! :)

    You should read the following for some good advice on why this is a bad
    idea...

    How Can I Add a Subject or CC to a Mailto Link?
    http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/faq.htm#mailtosubject

    The Mythical Mailto
    http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html

    .... and the following for some good advice on how to post here...

    How To Post in Newsgroups:
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    .... Hope that helps,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    "How strange the change from major to minor..."
    nice.guy.nige, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Am I not posting correctly?
    If not, why?

    Chuck, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subject line

    Chuck wrote:
    > "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> ... and the following for some good advice on how to post here...
    >>
    >> How To Post in Newsgroups:
    >> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
    >>

    > Am I not posting correctly?

    did you follow the link and read the page ?

    > If not, why?

    "why" is probably not the question you wish to ask.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Re: Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subject line

    No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will read
    it when I get a chance.
    From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply below the
    quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time to read it.
    If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
    I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.

    As far as why, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want a answer...

    Chuck

    Chuck, Sep 2, 2003
  9. Re: Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subjectline

    Chuck wrote:
    > No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will read
    > it when I get a chance.

    If you don't have time to read a reasonably short article (no, it isn't
    an article), then how do you have time to post to Usenet?
    > From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply below the
    > quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time to read it.
    > If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
    > I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.

    And what reason is that? Annoying people?
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 2, 2003
  10. Chuck

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    > No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will
    > read it when I get a chance.
    > From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply
    > below the quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time
    > to read it.

    Yes, amongst other things. But that is the bit William was drawing your
    attention to in particular.

    > If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
    > I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.

    Which is? Please, do tell.

    > As far as why, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want a answer...

    The article (no, not a novel) explains all...

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Re: Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subject line

    Actually I was thinking it was later than it is.
    I have to leave for work shortly so I didn't think that I had time to read
    it.

    Now that I realize the correct time I did read over the article.

    Again. I will continuing "top posting".

    If you don't like the way I post, then don't read my post.

    At least I am courteous enough to put some blank spaces in my replies so the
    people who read my post can tell where I have made comments. Your post just
    runs together with the previous post.

    I'm not here to annoy other people. The reason I do it is because if someone
    is following the thread, they don't have to waste time to scroll down
    through text they have seen 10 times already to get to my comments. I prefer
    reading threads like this and I will continue to post this way. If I am
    picking up a thread that has already started, then I will take the time to
    read the text below to catch up on the thread.

    Good enough, Leif?

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in
    message news:pkQ4b.2136$2.webusenet.com...

    Chuck, Sep 2, 2003
  12. Chuck

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Chuck wrote:

    > Again. I will continuing "top posting".

    Then most people here will ignore your posts, including the resident
    experts. Chances are you'll find your way into a few killfiles, too.

    > If you don't like the way I post, then don't read my post.

    We won't. And you won't get much help, because no one will be reading your
    posts.

    > I'm not here to annoy other people.

    Then follow the accepted conventions.

    > The reason I do it is because if
    > someone is following the thread, they don't have to waste time to
    > scroll down through text they have seen 10 times already to get to my
    > comments.

    If you trim quotes appropriately, then there should rarely be more than
    about 2 levels of quotes to scroll through. And the quotes that are there
    are the bits that are relevant to the current discussion.

    > Good enough, Leif?

    Afraid not.

    (No, I'm not having an identity crisis. I know I'm not Leif. Not today,
    anway. ;-) )

    Mark Parnell, Sep 2, 2003
  13. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Re: Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subject line

    If I come in with a question, I'm sure I will get some replies. Always
    have... If I make it to some "kill files", who cares?

    There were 11 posts before you made your first reply. I guess that you are
    following this thread, huh?

    My question is, I have posted regularly in various NG's over the past 5
    years or so. Why is this the first time anyone has ever mentioned anything
    about "top posting"? Most of the other NG's I post are pretty vicious and
    would sure make an issue of it if I was doing something wrong!

    Off to work... Can't wait to see ya'll bright and early in the morning...

    Chuck, Sep 2, 2003
  14. Re: Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subject line

    While the city slept, Chuck <> feverishly typed:

    > If I come in with a question, I'm sure I will get some replies. Always
    > have... If I make it to some "kill files", who cares?

    If the people who have killfiled you have the correct answers to your
    problems, then *you* should care.

    I gave you that link because you had top-posted. I gave you that link to
    show you the accepted posting convention in this group (and many others -
    indeed, most of the groups I subscribe to). I gave you that link to allow
    you to learn why we don't like top-posting in this and many other groups. I
    could have been arsey and said "Stupid f**king top-poster!" but I didn't,
    because that is not the kind of person I am. I gave you the chance to fit
    into our community, but you have decided that you don't want to be a part of
    it. Remember that nobody here is getting paid to answer your questions. This
    is not your 24 hour help desk. We are all taking time away from our other
    lives - indeed, many here are taking time away from paid work - to offer our
    assistance, advice and opinions to each other. I personally have learnt a
    great deal from this group, and continue to do so. If you want to be a part
    of this great community, then by all means join in, but please respect the
    local conventions, as you would in any real life community. Otherwise, you
    stand to be ignored and / or killfiled by the very people who can offer you
    the very best help here. You choose.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    nice.guy.nige, Sep 2, 2003
  15. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Re: Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subject line

    Nige,

    I appreciate your pointing that out to me.

    Do you think that this is really something to get all worked up about?

    I have a reason that I "top post" and don't wish to change.

    Again, I have posted here many times before along with other NG's and
    this is the only time anyone has said anything about it.

    I don't feel that I have been a smartass or tried to cause trouble. I
    am just stating why I do it.

    I realize that you guys are helping others out and doing it for free.
    Thank you for your time and efforts.

    Again, without trying to be a smartass, if someone doesn't like to see
    my "top posts" I feel they don't have to look at them. There are
    plenty of people that will overlook such a petty thing and answer my
    questions.

    Chuck

    Chuck, Sep 2, 2003
  16. Re: Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subjectline

    Chuck wrote:
    > No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will read
    > it when I get a chance.
    > From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply below the
    > quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time to read it.
    > If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
    > I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.

    i'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you are ASKING for flames
    by saying that.
    Charles Banas, Sep 2, 2003
  17. Chuck

    Sid Ismail Guest

    Sid Ismail, Sep 2, 2003
  18. Chuck

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:14:20 GMT, "Chuck" <> wrote:

    : No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel.

    And we don't have time to read your drivel.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Sep 2, 2003
  19. Chuck

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:36:02 GMT, "Chuck" <> wrote:

    : If you don't like the way I post, then don't read my post.

    Buzz off, child. You may not drive on the RHS in UK or South Africa!
    There are standard practices to adhere to.

    Usenet is not free-for-all USA.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Sep 2, 2003
  20. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Re: Please don't top-post on usenet [was] Re: mailto: subject line

    Is someone holding a gun to your head and making you read my "drivel"?

    Chuck, Sep 2, 2003