mailto with current date

Matthew Bedford

Is there a tag or script(s) which will enable me to create an email
message with the subject containing the current date. I know about the
&subject etc... I just want to know how to set up the current date
inside that subject along with some other text

Kris

Matthew Bedford said:
Is there a tag or script(s) which will enable me to create an email
message with the subject containing the current date. I know about the
&subject etc... I just want to know how to set up the current date
inside that subject along with some other text

For all that and more, us e a server side form handler, which will
process the form and send the results to any desired e-mail address and
send appropriate content back to the browser.

Your host may already have pre-made scripts for you available that may
meet your needs.

Don't trust methods of information gatherng that rely on the client side.

Matthew Bedford

Well, actually I am looking to create a shorcut, script, or program on
my desktop that will open up or create an email so I can enter a daily
report. The thing is I forget to update the date, and there is certain
standard fare that I enter every time. I've saved an email on the
desktop right now, but I still have to update the date.... I'm not
working on the web with this one...

Kris

[top posting fixed]
Well, actually I am looking to create a shorcut, script, or program on
my desktop that will open up or create an email so I can enter a daily
report. The thing is I forget to update the date, and there is certain
standard fare that I enter every time. I've saved an email on the
desktop right now, but I still have to update the date.... I'm not
working on the web with this one...

That is not related to HTML or the Internet in general, highly off-topic
in this group and something I have no knowledge of. If you own a Mac,
look into Applescript.

Consider a more polite way of replying. Bottomposting, instead of
topposting, for instance.

Richard

Kris said:
[top posting fixed]
Kris wrote:
side.
Well, actually I am looking to create a shorcut, script, or program on
my desktop that will open up or create an email so I can enter a daily
report. The thing is I forget to update the date, and there is certain
standard fare that I enter every time. I've saved an email on the
desktop right now, but I still have to update the date.... I'm not
working on the web with this one...
That is not related to HTML or the Internet in general, highly
off-topic
in this group and something I have no knowledge of. If you own a Mac,
look into Applescript.
Consider a more polite way of replying. Bottomposting, instead of
topposting, for instance.

True it is not related directly to website html, however, the group name
does not reflect strict rules to only website material.
As you know, html can be used on a local machine just as it can be applied
to any website.
therefor, his post IS on topic.
Naturally, scripting of any type which can be implemented within html, is
also relative.

<flame retardant suit on>

Matthew Bedford

Kris said:
[top posting fixed]

Kris wrote:

Well, actually I am looking to create a shorcut, script, or program on
my desktop that will open up or create an email so I can enter a daily
report. The thing is I forget to update the date, and there is certain
standard fare that I enter every time. I've saved an email on the
desktop right now, but I still have to update the date.... I'm not
working on the web with this one...

That is not related to HTML or the Internet in general, highly off-topic
in this group and something I have no knowledge of. If you own a Mac,
look into Applescript.

Consider a more polite way of replying. Bottomposting, instead of
topposting, for instance.
My apologies on the top/bottomposting, kinda new to the newsgroup thing...

and if there is anybody who knows of some HTML code which could pull up
current system date, I would really appreciate some assistance.

~MattB
nuthin'much

Kris

[QUOTE=""Richard said:
That is not related to HTML or the Internet in general, highly
off-topic
in this group and something I have no knowledge of. If you own a Mac,
look into Applescript.
[/QUOTE]
True it is not related directly to website html, however, the group name
does not reflect strict rules to only website material.
As you know, html can be used on a local machine just as it can be applied
to any website.
therefor, his post IS on topic.

It is not about HTML.
Naturally, scripting of any type which can be implemented within html, is
also relative.

Slowly I am starting to understand what he was actually asking. It may
also be a matter of me not reading carefully.
<flame retardant suit on>

I only like to read flamatory posts. I rest my case.

nice.guy.nige

Kris said:
[top posting fixed]

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

nice.guy.nige

My apologies on the top/bottomposting, kinda new to the newsgroup
thing...

If only all new people were so polite! Have a read of the following for more
info;

How To Post in Newsgroups:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
and if there is anybody who knows of some HTML code which could pull
up current system date, I would really appreciate some assistance.

Well... as long as you promise to only use this on your own computer at home
and never, ever use it on the net, the following should work. Stick it in
the body of an HTML document and feel free to tinker with it...

<script type="text/javascript">
today = new Date();

document.write("<p><a
href=\"mailto:[email protected]?subject="+today.getDate()+":"+today.
getMonth()+":"+(today.getYear()+1900)+"%20Report\">Email Report</a></p>");
</script>

.... but read the following for Very Good Reasons why you should not normally
do such things on the net;

How Can I Add a Subject or CC to a Mailto Link?
http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/faq.htm#mailtosubject

The Mythical Mailto
http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html

Hope that helps,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Matthew Bedford

nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Matthew Bedford <[email protected]> feverishly
typed:

[...]

thanks, and you have no idea how much tongue biting and rewriting it
took to respond with that 'polite' answer, thank you

~MattB
nuthin'much

Daniel R. Tobias

nice.guy.nige said:
document.write("<p><a
href=\"mailto:[email protected]?subject="+today.getDate()+":"+today.
getMonth()+":"+(today.getYear()+1900)+"%20Report\">Email Report</a></p>");
</script>

1) The above isn't "HTML code" (as requested), but JavaScript code. The
proper answer to the original question, asking if there is HTML code to
insert the current date, is "No, there isn't; HTML is a markup language,
not a programming language, and has no facility to insert dates."

2) To be valid when inserted into an HTML document, the above JavaScript
snippet needs backslashes before the slashes of closing tags
(<\/a><\/p>), to prevent them from terminating the CDATA section of the
SCRIPT element.

3) The getYear() function returns inconsistent results across different
browser versions (sometimes year-1900, sometimes a four-digit year), so
your code will result in it outputting years like 3903 in some cases.
getFullYear() always returns a four digit year, but doesn't work on some
older browsers. A conditional statement testing the value of getYear()
is the only universally correct way of inserting the current year in
consistent format.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
1) The above isn't "HTML code" (as requested), but JavaScript code.

I actually itended to point out that HTML wouldn't do it but the following
javascript would...
2) To be valid when inserted into an HTML document, the above
JavaScript snippet needs backslashes before the slashes of closing
tags (<\/a><\/p>), to prevent them from terminating the CDATA section
of the SCRIPT element.

3) The getYear() function returns inconsistent results across
different browser versions (sometimes year-1900, sometimes a
four-digit year), so your code will result in it outputting years
like 3903 in some cases. getFullYear() always returns a four digit
year, but doesn't work on some older browsers. A conditional
statement testing the value of getYear() is the only universally
correct way of inserting the current year in consistent format.

Marvelous. Thank you for clarifying that. Such a shame you couldn't use your
knowledge in actually helping the OP.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Toby A Inkster

Daniel said:
1) The above isn't "HTML code" (as requested), but JavaScript code. The
proper answer to the original question, asking if there is HTML code to
insert the current date, is "No, there isn't; HTML is a markup language,
not a programming language, and has no facility to insert dates."

Well, technically you could make your own DTD with a &currentdate; entity,
with the URL of the DTD actually being a path to a CGI script, that
updates the definition of the entity &currentdate; every day.

Not that *any* browsers would actually handle it.