mailto: with subject AND body

Alex

Hi

how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.
I can only have one or the other.
I would like to combine it.
Who can help?

Greets,
Alex

floortje

Alex said:
Hi

how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.
I can only have one or the other.
I would like to combine it.
Who can help?

Greets,
Alex
wont work on all platforms but for most windows users this will do
mailto:[email protected]?subject=subjecttext&body=bodytext

Grtz Floortje

floortje

Hywel Jenkins said:
You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
mailto:[email protected]?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
but that won't work.

That's a bit overstated

It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
browser :)
I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.

My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and subject

Floortje

Toby A Inkster

floortje said:
That's a bit overstated

It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
browser :)

I would expect that more than half would be using a Gecko-based browser
actually.

Besides which, properly set up, Lynx can handle such URLs.
My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and
subject

Often if they don't they'll get a mangled domain name part of the email
address.

Hywel Jenkins

floortje said:
That's a bit overstated

Not in my definition of "working".
It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
browser :)

Now you've just confirmed that you're talking shit.
I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.
Wrong.

My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept

Your limited experience, that is.
?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and subject

Wrong again. Do it properly and use a server-side solution.

Matthias Gutfeldt

floortje said:
That's a bit overstated

It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
browser :)

I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.

My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and subject

You're probably correct; but IMHO important features (I'm assuming
there's a good reason for that e-mail address) should work for everybody
in every device, not just for the "greater majority" using the right OS
/ user agent combination. A simple contact form with a server-side
secure formmail would be the more robust solution, I think.

Matthias

floortje

Not in my definition of "working".

Ow help a purist.
Now you've just confirmed that you're talking shit.

U noticed the ":)"? Well I probably couldn't expect someone with such a
defenition of working to read between the lines.
I disagree ... it worked in all of the cases.

Your limited experience, that is.

Hth could u know ?? Ah I get it ur one of them paranormal webdesigners. Ok
you and ur crystal ball have fun now.
subject

Wrong again. Do it properly and use a server-side solution.

usually do but NEVER without checking whether that is the preferred
solution.

floortje

My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
Often if they don't they'll get a mangled domain name part of the email
address.

Yep .. :-(