    Who can help?

    Greets,
    Alex

    Alex, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Alex wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.

    You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    but that won't work.

    > I can only have one or the other.

    Actually, you can have neither. Reliably.

    http://cgi.resourceindex.com/
    http://php.resourceindex.com/

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Alex

    floortje Guest

    "Alex" <> schreef in bericht
    > Hi
    >
    > how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.
    > I can only have one or the other.
    > I would like to combine it.
    > Who can help?
    >
    > Greets,
    > Alex

    wont work on all platforms but for most windows users this will do
    mailto:?subject=subjecttext&body=bodytext

    Grtz Floortje

    floortje, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Alex

    floortje Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> schreef in bericht
    > Alex wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.

    > You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    > mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    > but that won't work.

    That's a bit overstated

    It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
    their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
    browser :)
    I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
    outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.

    My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
    ?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and subject

    Floortje

    floortje, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Alex

    Alex Guest

    > You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    > mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    > but that won't work.

    It worked, thanks
    Alex

    Alex, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Alex, Sep 11, 2003
  7. floortje wrote:

    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote:
    >
    >> You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    >> mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    >> but that won't work.

    > That's a bit overstated
    >
    > It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
    > their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
    > browser :)

    I would expect that more than half would be using a Gecko-based browser
    actually.

    Besides which, properly set up, Lynx can handle such URLs.

    > My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
    > ?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and
    > subject

    Often if they don't they'll get a mangled domain name part of the email
    address.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Sep 11, 2003
  8. floortje wrote:
    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> schreef in bericht
    >
    >>Alex wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.

    >>You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    >> mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    >>but that won't work.
    >>

    > That's a bit overstated

    Not in my definition of "working".

    > It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
    > their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
    > browser :)

    Now you've just confirmed that you're talking shit.

    > I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
    > outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.

    Wrong.

    > My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept

    Your limited experience, that is.

    > ?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and subject

    Wrong again. Do it properly and use a server-side solution.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Alex wrote:

    >>You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    >> mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    >>but that won't work.

    > It worked, thanks

    Wrong.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 11, 2003
  10. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hi
    > >>You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    > >> mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    > >>but that won't work.

    > > It worked, thanks

    > Wrong.

    I just saw it :)

    Alex

    Alex, Sep 11, 2003
  11. floortje schrieb:

    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> schreef in bericht
    > > Alex wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.

    > > You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    > > mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    > > but that won't work.
    > >

    > That's a bit overstated
    >
    > It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
    > their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
    > browser :)
    >
    > I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
    > outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.
    >
    > My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
    > ?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and subject

    You're probably correct; but IMHO important features (I'm assuming
    there's a good reason for that e-mail address) should work for everybody
    in every device, not just for the "greater majority" using the right OS
    / user agent combination. A simple contact form with a server-side
    secure formmail would be the more robust solution, I think.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Sep 11, 2003
  12. Alex

    floortje Guest

    > >>You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
    > >> mailto:?subject=MySubject&body=MyBody
    > >>but that won't work.
    > >>

    > > That's a bit overstated

    > Not in my definition of "working".

    Ow help a purist.

    > > It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause

    half of
    > > their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
    > > browser :)

    > Now you've just confirmed that you're talking shit.

    U noticed the ":)"? Well I probably couldn't expect someone with such a
    defenition of working to read between the lines.

    > > I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
    > > outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.

    > Wrong.

    I disagree ... it worked in all of the cases.

    > > My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept

    > Your limited experience, that is.

    Hth could u know ?? Ah I get it ur one of them paranormal webdesigners. Ok
    you and ur crystal ball have fun now.

    > > ?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and

    subject

    > Wrong again. Do it properly and use a server-side solution.

    usually do but NEVER without checking whether that is the preferred
    solution.

    floortje, Sep 11, 2003
  13. Alex

    floortje Guest

    > > My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
    > > ?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and
    > > subject

    > Often if they don't they'll get a mangled domain name part of the email
    > address.

    Yep .. :-(

    floortje, Sep 11, 2003