    prefills the email client subject heading with a predetermined subject as
    well as prefilling the email address to field?

    I've seen this done, but cant find the website where I found it!
    Franklin P Patchey, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Franklin P Patchey

    brucie Guest

    In post <bkjse1$hhv$>
    Franklin P Patchey said...

    > How do you have it so that when you click on a mailto: link it automatically
    > prefills the email client subject heading with a predetermined subject as
    > well as prefilling the email address to field?

    you don't

    you cannot tell how the persons computer that is emailing you is
    configured, they can have all sorts of browser/email client/operating
    system configurations, they may not even have an email client. putting
    anything other than the email address in an email link produces
    unpredictable results that could cause the email to be lost forever in
    the most putrid burning pit of hell (or somewhere like that).

    you need a form and server side script if you want to have subjects or
    bodies automatically added to your emails.

    <quote>
    RFC1738 Uniform Resource Locators (URL)
    3.5. MAILTO The mailto URL scheme is used to designate the Internet
    mailing address of an individual or service. No additional information
    other than an Internet mailing address is present or implied.
    </quote> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

    RFC2368 The mailto URL scheme updates the above but it hasn't been
    universally adopted and/or the persons particular configuration may
    cause problems and/or people use non-supporting UAs which either
    causes problems on the client machine and/or with the servers the
    email is processed through (or none at all).

    the point is you _and_ the person emailing you don't know if it's
    going to work or not and most likely wont know when it doesn't work.

    "it works for me" is not a reason unless the only email you send and
    receive is from yourself on your own computer.

    form scripts:
    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Form_Processors/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Form_Processors/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/Form_Processors/
    remotely hosted:
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Remotely_Hosted/Form_Processors/

    --
    ..21/September/2003 08:25:35 pm
    brucie, Sep 21, 2003

  3. <a href="mailto:?subject=hello">

    Works with all major mail programs.

    Mitja

    Mitja Trampus, Sep 21, 2003
  4. "Mitja Trampus" <> wrote in message

    > Works with all major mail programs.

    Dohhh!
    Andrew Davidson, Sep 21, 2003
  5. "Mitja Trampus" <> wrote in message
    > "Franklin P Patchey" <> wrote in message
    > > How do you have it so that when you click on a mailto: link it

    > automatically
    > > prefills the email client subject heading with a predetermined subject

    as
    > > well as prefilling the email address to field?
    > >
    > > I've seen this done, but cant find the website where I found it!

    > Works with all major mail programs.

    Except my $400 contact management software.

    --
    Karl Core

    Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.
    EightNineThree, Sep 21, 2003
  6. In article <bkkj01$8v2$>, says...
    > "Franklin P Patchey" <> wrote in message
    > > How do you have it so that when you click on a mailto: link it

    > automatically
    > > prefills the email client subject heading with a predetermined subject as
    > > well as prefilling the email address to field?
    > >
    > > I've seen this done, but cant find the website where I found it!

    > Works with all major mail programs.

    Really?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 21, 2003
  7. Franklin P Patchey

    -=Be4U=- Guest

    Hywel Jenkins <> delighted us to no end
    by taking a lime green crayon and scribbling in

    > In article <bkkj01$8v2$>, says...
    >> "Franklin P Patchey" <> wrote in
    >> message news:bkjse1$hhv$...
    >> > How do you have it so that when you click on a mailto: link
    >> > it automatically prefills the email client subject heading
    >> > with a predetermined subject as well as prefilling the email
    >> > address to field?
    >> >
    >> > I've seen this done, but cant find the website where I found
    >> > it!

    >> Works with all major mail programs.

    > Really?

    lol This is a joke, right?

    --
    -=Mara=-
    My s0ck can beat up your s0ck.
    -=Be4U=-, Sep 22, 2003
  8. "-=Be4U=-" <> wrote in message news:<Xns93FDCB7156C9Dbe4u@fuck_off.com>...
    > Hywel Jenkins <> delighted us to no end
    > by taking a lime green crayon and scribbling in
    >
    > > In article <bkkj01$8v2$>, says...
    > >> "Franklin P Patchey" <> wrote in
    > >> message news:bkjse1$hhv$...

    > >> Works with all major mail programs.

    > > Really?
    > >

    > lol This is a joke, right?

    Which - the point that mailto with a subject works or the point that
    I'm hinting that it doesn't?

    --
    Hywel
    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 22, 2003
  9. I'm not saying most people own $400 worth mailing agents...

    As for compatibility, I'm sure about IE5+, but if I remember right it also
    works with IE4 and newer versions of Mozilla/Netscape.

    Mitja

    Mitja Trampus, Sep 22, 2003
  10. Franklin P Patchey

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Mitja Trampus" <> wrote:

    >I'm not saying most people own $400 worth mailing agents...

    But surely the people who do are the sort of suckers..., erm,
    customers that you want to attract.

    >As for compatibility, I'm sure about IE5+, but if I remember right it also
    >works with IE4 and newer versions of Mozilla/Netscape.

    Have you missed the point? The browser is only part of the equation,
    it's the interaction between the browser and the email client that
    matters. It doesn't matter if I have the latest and greated browser if
    my email client can't cope.

    Please stop top posting.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Sep 22, 2003
  11. > Have you missed the point? The browser is only part of the equation,
    > it's the interaction between the browser and the email client that
    > matters. It doesn't matter if I have the latest and greated browser if
    > my email client can't cope.

    Sorry, I really was inaccurate. By naming the browsers I assumed people use
    the accompanying mail agents, i.e. Outlook [Express] or Netscape's mail
    composer.

    > But surely the people who do are the sort of suckers..., erm,
    > customers that you want to attract.

    Got a point there :)
    But if you're just creating a personal homepage or something where the
    pre-filled subject field is just a fancy add-on (which is usually the case),
    it doesn't matter anyway.

    > Please stop top posting.
    >
    > Steve

    There you go... I probably "top posted" again - I'm afraid I'm not familiar
    with the term.

    Mitja
    Mitja Trampus, Sep 22, 2003
  12. Franklin P Patchey

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mitja Trampus wrote:
    [mailto: with subject]
    > But if you're just creating a personal homepage or something where the
    > pre-filled subject field is just a fancy add-on (which is usually the
    > case), it doesn't matter anyway.

    Maybe. It depends on what you define as not mattering. While it may work
    for some email programs, mailto: won't work at all for some people - those
    who use web-based mail (hotmail, yahoo, et al.), those who are in a web
    cafe, etc. Adding a subject means it will work for even less people,
    because lots of email programs don't recognise the "?subject=foo" bit of the
    address. Some will just put the whole link in the address field, meaning
    either the user has to remove it, or the email doesn't go where it is
    supposed to. Some programs will just completely mess it up, and the user
    will have to type the address in themself anyway.

    The only reliable way to do it is to use a form processed by a server-side
    script.

    >> Please stop top posting.

    > There you go... I probably "top posted" again - I'm afraid I'm not
    > familiar with the term.

    No, you didn't. The term is fairly self-explanatory - it means posting at
    the top of the quoted text.

    More information:

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au