Mailto

mjones

I have my doubts about whether that onClick handler works or not - but
that's irrelevant to your question, so I won't go there. :)

In theory:

  mailto:[email protected][email protected]

In practice, I don't know how widely-supported such "extended" mailto:
URIs are. RFC 2368 discouraged the use of BCC. RFC 6068, which obsoletes
2368, allows them - but it was issued just a few months ago, in Oct 2010.

With all that in mind, you'd probably have better results (and less
spam) if you used a simple HTML form.

sherm--

Thank you for your reply. You are much more knowledgeable that I am
in this area.

I would like to take your advice, but it's been several years since I
created this website and I don't remember how to change it to simple
HTML. (It is an asp page.) Would you kindly help me with the coding
to use for the HTML replacement?

Much appreciated!

Michele

P E Schoen

"mjones" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to add a bcc to (e-mail address removed) so that two
people get the email?

This works, although it's not exactly a bcc:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Email Two</title>
</head>

Of course, this just brings up the default email program form with just the
recipients filled in. The sender must add the subject and content.

Otherwise you can use PHP, which has a simple email function you can embed
in HTML, and you can add the subject, body, and other headers, either
hard-coded or derived from form inputs:

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mail.asp
http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

Paul

Neil Gould

mjones said:
I would like to take your advice, but it's been several years since I
created this website and I don't remember how to change it to simple
HTML. (It is an asp page.) Would you kindly help me with the coding
to use for the HTML replacement?
The specific ASP email code for your site will depend on the services
provided by your host and/or the versions of IIS involved. I would recommend
that you search the host's help pages for infomation on sending email via
the site if you intend to continue with ASP.

Captain Paralytic

Hi All,

Currently, this line works:

a>

Does anyone know how to add a bcc to (e-mail address removed) so that two people get
the email?

Thanks a bunch,

Michele

That's an interesting statement "Currently, this line works:" and
assuming by "works" you mean that is enables a mail to be sent just by
clicking it, it is also completely wrong.

Many many people (including me) use browser based mail services
(Hotmail, gmail, Yahoo mail, ...). In general, clicking your link will
attempt to open a local mail client which will not have been
configured and thus the user will not be able to use the link to send
a mail (unless they copy the email address into their browser mail
client).

Of course, if when you say "works" you mean it makes it really easy
for spammers to discover the email address and add it to lists to send
spam to, then yes, it will work perfectly for this.

As others have said, some sort of form mail is really the only way to
go nowadays.

mjones

That's an interesting statement "Currently, this line works:" and
assuming by "works" you mean that is enables a mail to be sent just by
clicking it, it is also completely wrong.

Many many people (including me) use browser based mail services
(Hotmail, gmail, Yahoo mail, ...). In general, clicking your link will
attempt to open a local mail client which will not have been
configured and thus the user will not be able to use the link to send
a mail (unless they copy the email address into their browser mail
client).

Of course, if when you say "works" you mean it makes it really easy
for spammers to discover the email address and add it to lists to send
spam to, then yes, it will work perfectly for this.

As others have said, some sort of form mail is really the only way to
go nowadays.

Hi everyone,

I'm the person who started this posting. By works, I mean that for
the past three years, I have been getting emails from this code. From
what you're saying, perhaps some people were not able to send mail and
others were.

Business wise at this time, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of
time and money on this since most of our business comes from phone
calls. I'm hoping someone has a simple option that doesn't require
purchasing other software and technical knowledge. I did develop the
website years ago and keep it up to date, but this is not what I do
for a living and appeal to the kind nature of others in this board for
help.

Thank you very much,

Michele

Jonathan N. Little

mjones said:
I'm the person who started this posting. By works, I mean that for
the past three years, I have been getting emails from this code. From
what you're saying, perhaps some people were not able to send mail and
others were.

Exactly. In fact you may be startled to discover how often is *does not*
work. In fact I'd be interested in learning what email client your code
would work on? Especially if it is in anyway like the snippet that you
provided. How about a URL to this "working" page.
Business wise at this time, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of
time and money on this since most of our business comes from phone
calls. I'm hoping someone has a simple option that doesn't require
purchasing other software and technical knowledge. I did develop the
website years ago and keep it up to date, but this is not what I do
for a living and appeal to the kind nature of others in this board for
help.

There are simple, and guaranteed *working* solutions, but they do not
employ the pseudo mailto protocol. It is an html form to a server-side
script. If you are not interested in maintaining you site, then hire
someone competent to do it for you.

Raymond Schmit

Exactly. In fact you may be startled to discover how often is *does not*
work. In fact I'd be interested in learning what email client your code
would work on? Especially if it is in anyway like the snippet that you
provided. How about a URL to this "working" page.

That's a good idea to ask an URL, so we can test it.
I suspect that his coding works only if your default mail client is
Outlook or Outlook express.
I know a webmaster who did not understand why his coding is *not*
working on my pc. My default mail client is SeaMonkey (like
Thunderbird).

mjones

That's a good idea to ask an URL, so we can test it. Ed, I've downloaded FormMail and will give it a try. Thanks everyone!

This is the webpage that the link is on - http://www.quality-computing.com/home/contact.asp

mjones

That's a good idea to ask an URL, so we can test it. Ed, I've downloaded FormMail and will give it a try. Thanks everyone!
I suspect that his coding works only if your default mail client is
Outlook or Outlook express.
I know a webmaster who did not understand why his coding is *not*
working on my pc. My default mail client is SeaMonkey (like
Thunderbird).

This is the webpage that the link is on - http://www.quality-computing.com/home/contact.asp

mjones

This is the webpage that the link is on -http://www.quality-computing.com/home/contact.asp

Ed, I downloaded FormMail. Actually, the form idea will come in
useful for collecting information when people book courses online as
they currently do through PayPal, but I don't get their address, etc.
It seems that I have to have PHP, which I don't and don't know. Is
this true?

Thanks everyone!

Jonathan N. Little

mjones said:
This is the webpage that the link is on - http://www.quality-computing.com/home/contact.asp

Okay your snippet was no obsficated or truncated version of the online
code! Well I am afraid to inform you is is very very broken. I can not
imagine where it would work?

I do have a pop email client, my client is the integrated SeaMonkey and
clicking your mailto link puts this in my compose TO: field

this <""michele\"@quality-computing.com; onclick=JavaScript_Track;>

Obviously that is not a valid email TO: field, and SeaMonkey is better
at supporting the mailto pseudo-protocol than IE so I cannot imagine
where your code works. I will definitely fail for webmail-only visitors.

You *need* a form to email server-side script.

It appears that you are using hostek.com for hosting and in their FAQ
shows they aver canned scripts see:

http://hostek.com/faq/kb/index.asp?action=recorddetail&rec=71

Honestly, fix it. You need to. HTH

Jonathan N. Little

mjones said:
Actually, the form idea will come in
useful for collecting information when people book courses online as
they currently do through PayPal, but I don't get their address, etc.
It seems that I have to have PHP, which I don't and don't know. Is
this true?

See the link I provided in my other post, it has an ASPMail example.

Adrienne Boswell

Unfortunately the OP has an MS server and chances are he does not have
PHP available...he may have to wait for Adrienne, IIRC she deals with
ASP.

And here I am!

Basically, you would make a regular HTML form, check server side that all
the information coming from the client is good, then send the mail.
Google for cdosys, the replacement for cdonts.