    the email?

    Thanks a bunch,

    Michele

    mjones, Feb 6, 2011

  2. mjones

    mjones Guest

    On Feb 5, 7:46 pm, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    > mjones <> writes:
    > > Currently, this line works:

    > > a>

    > I have my doubts about whether that onClick handler works or not - but
    > that's irrelevant to your question, so I won't go there. :)
    >
    > > Does anyone know how to add a bcc to so that two people get
    > > the email?

    > In theory:
    >
    >   mailto:?bcc=
    >
    > In practice, I don't know how widely-supported such "extended" mailto:
    > URIs are. RFC 2368 discouraged the use of BCC. RFC 6068, which obsoletes
    > 2368, allows them - but it was issued just a few months ago, in Oct 2010.
    >
    > With all that in mind, you'd probably have better results (and less
    > spam) if you used a simple HTML form.
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > Sherm Pendley
    >                                    <http://camelbones.sourceforge.net>
    > Cocoa Developer

    Thank you for your reply. You are much more knowledgeable that I am
    in this area.

    I would like to take your advice, but it's been several years since I
    created this website and I don't remember how to change it to simple
    HTML. (It is an asp page.) Would you kindly help me with the coding
    to use for the HTML replacement?

    Much appreciated!

    Michele

    mjones, Feb 6, 2011

  3. mjones

    P E Schoen Guest

    "mjones" wrote in message

    > Does anyone know how to add a bcc to so that two
    > people get the email?

    This works, although it's not exactly a bcc:

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <head>
    <title>Email Two</title>
    </head>

    Of course, this just brings up the default email program form with just the
    recipients filled in. The sender must add the subject and content.

    Otherwise you can use PHP, which has a simple email function you can embed
    in HTML, and you can add the subject, body, and other headers, either
    hard-coded or derived from form inputs:

    http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mail.asp
    http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

    Paul

    P E Schoen, Feb 6, 2011
  4. Jonathan N. Little, Feb 6, 2011
  5. mjones

    Neil Gould Guest

    mjones wrote:

    > I would like to take your advice, but it's been several years since I
    > created this website and I don't remember how to change it to simple
    > HTML. (It is an asp page.) Would you kindly help me with the coding
    > to use for the HTML replacement?

    The specific ASP email code for your site will depend on the services
    provided by your host and/or the versions of IIS involved. I would recommend
    that you search the host's help pages for infomation on sending email via
    the site if you intend to continue with ASP.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil

    Neil Gould, Feb 6, 2011
  6. dorayme wrote:
    > In article<iimpva$b4e$-september.org>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little"<> wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately the OP has an MS server and chances are he does not have
    >> PHP available

    > I use an Optus server that is MS and it has php. But they are a
    > big company.

    But a lot of MS servers don't

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 6, 2011
  7. On Feb 6, 12:22 am, mjones <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Currently, this line works:

    > a>
    >
    > Does anyone know how to add a bcc to so that two people get
    > the email?
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    >
    > Michele

    That's an interesting statement "Currently, this line works:" and
    assuming by "works" you mean that is enables a mail to be sent just by
    clicking it, it is also completely wrong.

    Many many people (including me) use browser based mail services
    (Hotmail, gmail, Yahoo mail, ...). In general, clicking your link will
    attempt to open a local mail client which will not have been
    configured and thus the user will not be able to use the link to send
    a mail (unless they copy the email address into their browser mail
    client).

    Of course, if when you say "works" you mean it makes it really easy
    for spammers to discover the email address and add it to lists to send
    spam to, then yes, it will work perfectly for this.

    As others have said, some sort of form mail is really the only way to
    go nowadays.

    Captain Paralytic, Feb 6, 2011
  8. mjones

    mjones Guest

    On Feb 6, 5:47 pm, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 12:22 am, mjones <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,

    > > Currently, this line works:

    > > a>

    > > Does anyone know how to add a bcc to so that two people get
    > > the email?

    > > Thanks a bunch,

    > > Michele

    > That's an interesting statement "Currently, this line works:" and
    > assuming by "works" you mean that is enables a mail to be sent just by
    > clicking it, it is also completely wrong.
    >
    > Many many people (including me) use browser based mail services
    > (Hotmail, gmail, Yahoo mail, ...). In general, clicking your link will
    > attempt to open a local mail client which will not have been
    > configured and thus the user will not be able to use the link to send
    > a mail (unless they copy the email address into their browser mail
    > client).
    >
    > Of course, if when you say "works" you mean it makes it really easy
    > for spammers to discover the email address and add it to lists to send
    > spam to, then yes, it will work perfectly for this.
    >
    > As others have said, some sort of form mail is really the only way to
    > go nowadays.

    Hi everyone,

    I'm the person who started this posting. By works, I mean that for
    the past three years, I have been getting emails from this code. From
    what you're saying, perhaps some people were not able to send mail and
    others were.

    Business wise at this time, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of
    time and money on this since most of our business comes from phone
    calls. I'm hoping someone has a simple option that doesn't require
    purchasing other software and technical knowledge. I did develop the
    website years ago and keep it up to date, but this is not what I do
    for a living and appeal to the kind nature of others in this board for
    help.

    Thank you very much,

    Michele

    mjones, Feb 7, 2011
  9. mjones wrote:
    > I'm the person who started this posting. By works, I mean that for
    > the past three years, I have been getting emails from this code. From
    > what you're saying, perhaps some people were not able to send mail and
    > others were.

    Exactly. In fact you may be startled to discover how often is *does not*
    work. In fact I'd be interested in learning what email client your code
    would work on? Especially if it is in anyway like the snippet that you
    provided. How about a URL to this "working" page.

    > Business wise at this time, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of
    > time and money on this since most of our business comes from phone
    > calls. I'm hoping someone has a simple option that doesn't require
    > purchasing other software and technical knowledge. I did develop the
    > website years ago and keep it up to date, but this is not what I do
    > for a living and appeal to the kind nature of others in this board for
    > help.

    There are simple, and guaranteed *working* solutions, but they do not
    employ the pseudo mailto protocol. It is an html form to a server-side
    script. If you are not interested in maintaining you site, then hire
    someone competent to do it for you.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 7, 2011
  10. On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:13:02 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >mjones wrote:
    >> I'm the person who started this posting. By works, I mean that for
    >> the past three years, I have been getting emails from this code. From
    >> what you're saying, perhaps some people were not able to send mail and
    >> others were.

    >Exactly. In fact you may be startled to discover how often is *does not*
    >work. In fact I'd be interested in learning what email client your code
    >would work on? Especially if it is in anyway like the snippet that you
    >provided. How about a URL to this "working" page.

    That's a good idea to ask an URL, so we can test it.
    I suspect that his coding works only if your default mail client is
    Outlook or Outlook express.
    I know a webmaster who did not understand why his coding is *not*
    working on my pc. My default mail client is SeaMonkey (like
    Thunderbird).

    Raymond Schmit, Feb 7, 2011
  11. mjones

    mjones Guest

    This is the webpage that the link is on - http://www.quality-computing.com/home/contact.asp

    mjones, Feb 8, 2011
  12. mjones

    mjones, Feb 8, 2011
  13. mjones

    mjones Guest

    On Feb 8, 7:52 am, mjones <> wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 5:32 pm, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >

    > > On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:13:02 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"

    > > <> wrote:

    > > >Exactly. In fact you may be startled to discover how often is *does not*
    > > >work. In fact I'd be interested in learning what email client your code
    > > >would work on? Especially if it is in anyway like the snippet that you
    > > >provided. How about a URL to this "working" page.

    > > That's a good idea to ask an URL, so we can test it.  Ed, I've downloaded FormMail and will give it a try.  Thanks everyone!
    > > I suspect that his coding works only if your default mail client is
    > > Outlook or Outlook express.
    > > I know a webmaster who did not understand why his coding is *not*
    > > working on my pc. My default mail client is SeaMonkey (like
    > > Thunderbird).

    > This is the webpage that the link is on -http://www.quality-computing.com/home/contact.asp

    Ed, I downloaded FormMail. Actually, the form idea will come in
    useful for collecting information when people book courses online as
    they currently do through PayPal, but I don't get their address, etc.
    It seems that I have to have PHP, which I don't and don't know. Is
    this true?

    Thanks everyone!

    mjones, Feb 8, 2011
  14. mjones wrote:

    > This is the webpage that the link is on - http://www.quality-computing.com/home/contact.asp

    Okay your snippet was no obsficated or truncated version of the online
    code! Well I am afraid to inform you is is very very broken. I can not
    imagine where it would work?

    I do have a pop email client, my client is the integrated SeaMonkey and
    clicking your mailto link puts this in my compose TO: field

    this <""michele\"@quality-computing.com; onclick=JavaScript_Track;>

    Obviously that is not a valid email TO: field, and SeaMonkey is better
    at supporting the mailto pseudo-protocol than IE so I cannot imagine
    where your code works. I will definitely fail for webmail-only visitors.

    You *need* a form to email server-side script.

    It appears that you are using hostek.com for hosting and in their FAQ
    shows they aver canned scripts see:

    http://hostek.com/faq/kb/index.asp?action=recorddetail&rec=71

    Honestly, fix it. You need to. HTH

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 8, 2011
  15. mjones wrote:

    > Actually, the form idea will come in
    > useful for collecting information when people book courses online as
    > they currently do through PayPal, but I don't get their address, etc.
    > It seems that I have to have PHP, which I don't and don't know. Is
    > this true?

    See the link I provided in my other post, it has an ASPMail example.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 8, 2011
  16. On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 04:52:55 -0800 (PST), mjones
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 7, 5:32 pm, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:13:02 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
    >>
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Exactly. In fact you may be startled to discover how often is *does not*
    >> >work. In fact I'd be interested in learning what email client your code
    >> >would work on? Especially if it is in anyway like the snippet that you
    >> >provided. How about a URL to this "working" page.

    >> That's a good idea to ask an URL, so we can test it. Ed, I've downloaded FormMail and will give it a try. Thanks everyone!
    >> I suspect that his coding works only if your default mail client is
    >> Outlook or Outlook express.
    >> I know a webmaster who did not understand why his coding is *not*
    >> working on my pc. My default mail client is SeaMonkey (like
    >> Thunderbird).

    >This is the webpage that the link is on - http://www.quality-computing.com/home/contact.asp

    My test give me a mail with an empty subject and a To: zone equal to:
    this <""michele\"@quality-computing.com; onclick=JavaScript_Track;>

    This not a good mail.

    I can show you a simple mailto: example here:
    http://home.scarlet.be/~pin10521/TESTMAILTO.HTM

    Raymond Schmit, Feb 9, 2011
  17. On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 04:49:50 -0800 (PST), mjones

    Raymond Schmit, Feb 9, 2011
  18. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> writing in

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> I use FormMail on my sites:
    >>
    >> http://www.tectite.com/formmailpage.php?WWWTECTITE=9o78sm2e7lmvrdt1kuo
    >> kpfhv32
    >>

    > Unfortunately the OP has an MS server and chances are he does not have
    > PHP available...he may have to wait for Adrienne, IIRC she deals with
    > ASP.

    And here I am!

    Basically, you would make a regular HTML form, check server side that all
    the information coming from the client is good, then send the mail.
    Google for cdosys, the replacement for cdonts.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 12, 2011