Maintain state between 2 pages.

darin_dimitrov

I have an application which consists of 2 web forms. On the first
page I have a datagrid with paging and sorting turned on. I also have a
textbox which allows me to filter the data in the grid and narrow down
the results. The grid also contains a column with hyperlinks which when
clicked should invoke the second page which displays details about the
current row.

I call the second page with Server.Transfer("second.aspx"). On this
page I have a button which allows me to navigate back to the first
page.

My question is the following: Is there an easy way to maintain the
state of the first page (sort direction - asc., desc., sort column,
filter text, current page of the datagrid) during the trip to the
second page and be able to reconstruct it the way I left it or should I
use the Session object to store all the information?

This could be a common issue when implementing web *wizards* with
next> and <previous buttons. How to maintain page state in such a
scenario?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.