Maintaining state between 2 domains

Pete

I'm writing a web site for a friend. The site is going to have to
consist of two ASP.NET applications: one running over HTTP and one
over HTTPS. The problem is that the domains will be different, so how
do I maintain state between the public area (http://www.mydomain.com)
and the secure area (https://secure.myisp.com/mydomain)?

What I'm trying to achieve here is for the site user to login to the
site in the secure area, and then have a GUID that identifies the
user's "session" that can be accessed by pages from either
application. When I've done this in the past I've just stored a value
in a cookie, but that's always been on sites where both applications
are on the same domain - that's not the case this time.

Any suggestions?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Pete

Guest

About the only way I can think of accomplishing this is to have a gateway
page on each of the domains that passes the session var's back and forth. As
your clients move from one domain to the next, you would need to force them
thru the appropriate gateway page. For example:

------------------------
Link from non-secure to secure:
------------------------
here for secure access</a>

https://secure.myisp.com/mydomain/gateway.aspx would contain the following
code:

session("var1")=request("var1")
session("var2")=request("var1")
response.redirect "default.aspx"

------------------------
Link from secure to non-secure:
------------------------
non-secure access</a>

http://www.mydomain.com/gateway.aspx would contain the following code:

session("var1")=request("var1")
session("var2")=request("var1")
response.redirect "default.aspx"

Hope this helps..... Rich

peter

I was hoping there might have been a slightly more "invisible" solution
in .NET, but this one looks pretty tidy so I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your help,

Pete