    Can I do this just using Spring and Tomcat? If so, any pointers to articles or code would be especially helpful.

    Thanks.

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Steve wrote:
    > I am building a system and sometimes need to maintain state on the server. I am considering using JBoss and Stateful Session Beans.
    > Can I do this just using Spring and Tomcat? If so, any pointers to articles or code would be especially helpful.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steve

    If your app is a web-application, you can maintain the state in the
    session - in which case tomcat would work. However, its not a good
    practice to store business state in a session - it should be in the
    business tier.

    Which brings the choice of Spring - sure, using a Spring container you
    can achieve EJB-like functionality, or you can use Spring to talk to
    EJBs. So you can use tomcat+spring to achieve the solution.

    If you have evaluated Jboss and are comfortable with it, I believe that
    Stateful EJBs should be a good fit. If Spring is something you'd have
    to learn, then it might carry its own learning curve.

    Here is Spring intro:
    http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=SpringFramework

    Here is the Spring/EJB documentation:
    http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.0.x/reference/ejb.html