Major desktop GUI apps in Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Kevin Walzer, Sep 11, 2011.

  1. Kevin Walzer

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    Hello,

    I'm an experienced developer who specializes in commercial desktop apps
    for the Mac and Windows. I prefer to work in higher-level languages,
    most frequently in Python and Tcl, and I use the Tk GUI toolkit for the
    interface.

    Recently I've been playing with Ruby and have been blown away by the
    library support, gems, etc. It's amazing how easy it is to add
    functionality to Ruby via the gem mechanism. I've been planning to work
    on both a file transfer app (S/FTP) and an archiving app (zip, tar,
    etc.), and doing both of these in Python and Tcl was presenting
    difficulties, but I found gems for everything I need.

    But...

    If there's much tradition of building and deploying desktop GUI apps in
    Ruby, I'm not able to find it. While there is lots of support for GUI
    toolkits, I'm not able to find any examples of real desktop apps being
    developed in Ruby. All of the sites I've found are tutorial in nature,
    with little snippets of code, or perhaps some instructions on how to
    build a toy application that displays a "hello world" messagebox.

    Can anyone point me to any examples of significant GUI apps being
    developed in Ruby? The only one I know of is Limechat, a Mac IRC client.
    Good, but I'd like to see other examples as well, especially ones that
    make use of cross-platform toolkits (they don't have to be Tk). Extra
    points for both Mac and WIndows deployments, as nearly all of the
    deployment solutions I've seen appear to be Windows-only, and in alpha
    state at that.

    Thanks in advance,
    Kevin
    Kevin Walzer, Sep 11, 2011

  2. Hello Kevin:

    >"Kevin Walzer" wrote in message news:j4gqpr$m45$... <snip>
    >Can anyone point me to any examples of significant GUI apps being developed
    >in Ruby? The only one I know of is Limechat, a Mac IRC client. Good, but
    >I'd like to see other examples as well, especially ones that make use of
    >cross-platform toolkits (they don't have to be Tk). Extra points for both
    >Mac and WIndows deployments, as nearly all of the deployment solutions I've
    >seen appear to be Windows-only, and in alpha state at that.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Kevin

    The last time I looked at GUI toolkits I preferred wxRuby (mostly because of
    the syntax, deployment and architecture) but they don't seem to advertise
    who uses it. However, fxRuby is another good toolkit and unlike the wxRuby
    web page it lists a few applications that use it here http://www.fxruby.org/
    .. I hope these aren't the "alpha" state apps you were talking about.

    Michael
    Michael Brooks, Sep 11, 2011