Major web host supports Rails

bertrandmuscle

One of the biggest web hosts on the internet (Dreamhost) now supports
Rails! Snipped this from the newsletter:

"If I wasn't making myself clear, DreamHost now supports Ruby on Rails
right out of the box (so no further need to follow the crazy
instructions for doing it yourself like people were posting at
wiki.dreamhost.com), along with FastCGI (which you pretty much need -
unless you prefer Ruby on Snails).

That's about all there is to it, if you don't know what Ruby on Rails
is, don't worry.. it's like a programming environment thing to help you
make fancy web applications in the Ruby programming language lickety-split!"

http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?cs

Michael Campbell

One of the biggest web hosts on the internet (Dreamhost) now supports
Rails! Snipped this from the newsletter:
=20
"If I wasn't making myself clear, DreamHost now supports Ruby on Rails
right out of the box (so no further need to follow the crazy
instructions for doing it yourself like people were posting at
wiki.dreamhost.com), along with FastCGI (which you pretty much need -
unless you prefer Ruby on Snails).

"Ruby on Snails"... *chuckle*

luke

very good for dreamhost to be one of the first of the popular hosts to be
off the blocks in supporting rails. i'm working on a rails app at dreamhost
right now - went halves with a friend in their code monster plan .. 2.8
gigabytes of space, oh yeah!

they also have a good collection of other ruby gems.

Greg Donald

On one forum I watch, there was discussion of doing a Rails port to
PHP. Given the typical PHP project naming conventions, I suggested
they call it
=20
PHP on Phails

There are already quite a few MVC frameworks for PHP:

Mojavi
Ambivalence
Ampoliros
binarycloud
Horde
Krysalis
php.MVC
phpwebtk
Phrame
Studs

--=20
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer
MySQL Core Certification
http://destiney.com/

Mark Thomas

luke said:
very good for dreamhost to be one of the first of the popular hosts to be
off the blocks in supporting rails. i'm working on a rails app at dreamhost
right now - went halves with a friend in their code monster plan .. 2.8
gigabytes of space, oh yeah!

Wow... the Code Monster plan is now 7.5 gigs, with 375 (!) shell
accounts, 3000 email-only accounts and 15 domains for $19.95 a month.

Maybe we can organize groups and go "thirds" on it!

luke

hehe, yes i meant to say 3.8 gigs of space! (half a code monster plan). i
think .. it's early in the morning.

Lothar Scholz

Hello Michael,

MC> Does anyone know if DreamHost "oversells" their space?

Isn't this the most common configuration for web hosters ?
I really doubt that they provide all the GB for all users by default
with this low prices.

And where is your problem ?

With hot swap disks you shouldn't see a
difference if the administrator is doing his job well.

Michael Campbell

Hello Michael,
=20
MC> Does anyone know if DreamHost "oversells" their space?
=20
Isn't this the most common configuration for web hosters ?

Textdrive doesn't.

And where is your problem ?

I'm not sure if English is your first language or not, but in the
English vernacular, "[What] is your problem?" is a fairly
argumentative phrase.

With hot swap disks you shouldn't see a
difference if the administrator is doing his job well.

That's a lot of "if's".

karlin.fox

If they oversell it, that fact is overshadowed by their great tech
support and glut of features for dwindling prices. Been a loyal
customer there for a few years now, and I'm very excited to see the
addition of rails (I emailed them about Ruby support once...) Just
waiting for my domain to trickle through before I start playing with
it...

Wayne Pierce

And where is your problem ?
=20
I'm not sure if English is your first language or not, but in the
English vernacular, "[What] is your problem?" is a fairly
argumentative phrase.

Actually, it's just a question. How you choose to interpret that
question is another matter.

Wayne

Michael Campbell

If they oversell it, that fact is overshadowed by their great tech
support and glut of features for dwindling prices. Been a loyal
customer there for a few years now, and I'm very excited to see the
addition of rails (I emailed them about Ruby support once...) Just
waiting for my domain to trickle through before I start playing with
it...

yeah, I've heard nothing but good about them.

I think I may have phrased my initial question poorly, or its intent
was misunderstood; if that's the case, I apologize. I have had no
dealings with DreamHost, so I no reasons to say anything bad about
them, nor do I necessarily consider overselling bad. I had no hidden
subtext, agenda, aspersions to cast, etc.. When I asked "Does
Dreamhost oversell space?", what I wanted to know was whether or not
Dreamhost oversold space; nothing more.

I'm not sure where the "What is your problem?" came from, but that may
have been due to a misunderstanding of the question, and the English
vernacular.

Just setting the record straight.

Dennis Roberts

Want to support Ruby? Use Textdrive (http://www.textdrive.com/).=20
When you sign up a portion of your payment goes to the open source
project of your choice and Ruby is one of the choices. They are also
very cheap, stable, and DHH is associated with them.

Seriously Textdrive is a great deal.

James Britt

Dennis said:
Want to support Ruby? Use Textdrive (http://www.textdrive.com/).

Want to support Ruby? Contribute Ruby code, or write Ruby docs, or send
money to Ruby Central, the Ruby non-profit. Or any combination of these.

Then pick the hosting service that best suits your hosting needs. (That
may very well be TextDrive; I used them with a client and found the
control panel awkward and the hosting options too limited.)

James