    web page? The solution does not need to be pure HTML; a Java applet
    would be OK. Alternatively, maybe there is a web site that would
    handle all this for me?

    David Segall, Nov 1, 2003

  2. David Segall wrote:

    > I don't think that it is possible because my ISP does not permit me to
    > add server-side code to my site. I am limited to a few megabytes of
    > disk space and some canned CGI scripts. Is there a way of achieving
    > something similar by having each friend fill in the "form" and send
    > the completed form to me via email so that I can manually update the
    > web page?

    Assuming that one of the canned CGI scripts is a mailer, then this would
    be possible, but it might be better to consider going for a web host which
    supports PHP or CGI or something. There are one or two free ones out
    there, otherwise it will probably be cheaper than you'd expect.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 1, 2003

  3. David Segall

    PeterMcC Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > I would like to be able to organise a dinner party or meeting among a
    > few friends using my web site. Ideally, the HTML page would display a
    > table in which the rows were proposed dates and times and the columns
    > contained a small integer which indicated each persons availability
    > for that appointment ranging from "that's the best for me" to "can't
    > come then". A drop down list with some equivalent text would be even
    > better. Ideally, my friends would be able to update the table from
    > their browser.
    >
    > I don't think that it is possible because my ISP does not permit me to
    > add server-side code to my site. I am limited to a few megabytes of
    > disk space and some canned CGI scripts. Is there a way of achieving
    > something similar by having each friend fill in the "form" and send
    > the completed form to me via email so that I can manually update the
    > web page? The solution does not need to be pure HTML; a Java applet
    > would be OK. Alternatively, maybe there is a web site that would
    > handle all this for me?

    What a nice idea.

    I'll bet that one of the canned CGI scripts on your server is a form
    handler. That would do the trick with radio buttons, check boxes, drop down
    options and free-text entry areas.

    Information here

    http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/chap17.shtml

    If you can't find a form handling script on the server,and *if* you know
    that everyone of your potential dinner guests has a browser with an
    associated email programme and that they aren't going to start popping into
    internet cafes to contact you, use WAP phones or any of that other stuff -
    you could use mailto. It opens up the user's email program and sends the
    form data to your email address. e.g.

    <form action="mailto:" method="POST"
    enctype="text/plain">

    This is not a recommended action for general web pages, and I'm bracing
    myself for the comments for having suggested it - so, to balance that up,
    please see http://www.isolani.co.uk/articles/mailto.html You'll get odd
    characters in your email indicating spaces, etc... but, given the above
    conditions, the data will get to you, perhaps a little inelegantly but
    that's way better than not having a feedback form.

    In general terms, you'll find some useful links at:
    http://personalweb.about.com/cs/feedbackemail/index.htm including ready made
    forms.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Nov 1, 2003
  4. David Segall

    Al Guest

    Hi David:

    I write programs and remote host them on my site. If $2.00 per month is in
    your budget. Drop by my site www.web-site-builder.com and leave me a note
    with your e-mail address.

    Al

    Al, Nov 2, 2003