Make and ActivePerl

Skybuck Flying

Hi,

I download some perl source code and the manual says:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

The first line went ok.

When I invoke the second line it says:

MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland

I think it is calling the wrong product/version of "make".

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Does ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.MSWin32-x86.MSI contain a "make" program ?

2. If not what do I need maybe cygwin ?

3. How do I call the right make product/version ?

( I am using windows xp )

Any help would be great

Bye,
Skybuck.

ladygrinningsoul

Skybuck Flying said:
Hi,

I download some perl source code and the manual says:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

The first line went ok.

When I invoke the second line it says:

MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland

I think it is calling the wrong product/version of "make".

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Does ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.MSWin32-x86.MSI contain a "make" program ?

2. If not what do I need maybe cygwin ?

3. How do I call the right make product/version ?

( I am using windows xp )

Any help would be great

Bye,
Skybuck.

If it is a Perl module/package that you are trying to install, you should
use the Perl Package Manager in ActivePerl to download and install the
module/package.

Skybuck Flying

ladygrinningsoul said:
If it is a Perl module/package that you are trying to install, you should
use the Perl Package Manager in ActivePerl to download and install the
module/package.

Well I don't know about all this ;)

The main source was missing this "module"

So I solved it by copieing the source of the module into the main source ;)

That'll do for now ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

jbl

Hi,

I download some perl source code and the manual says:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

The first line went ok.

When I invoke the second line it says:

MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland

I think it is calling the wrong product/version of "make".

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Does ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.MSWin32-x86.MSI contain a "make" program ?

2. If not what do I need maybe cygwin ?

3. How do I call the right make product/version ?

( I am using windows xp )

Any help would be great

Bye,
Skybuck.
Get nmake from Microsoft
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe

Once you have the nmake15.exe, executing it will create 3 files on
your machine (nmake.exe, nmake.err, & a readme). Now you have a way to
install modules on you pc.

Example:

To install the Crypt::SSLeay mod, download the tar.gz
http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-module/Crypt/Crypt-SSLeay-0.51.tar
..gz and extract the files to a temp directory. Then from the command
line, move into the temp directory and type the following commands:

perl Makefile.PL
c:\nmake\nmake.exe
c:\nmake\nmake.exe test
c:\nmake\nmake.exe install
c:\nmake\nmake.exe clean

This assumes that you nmake exe is in c:\nmake\, if not change it to
match your system config.

jbl