Make and ActivePerl

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Skybuck Flying, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I download some perl source code and the manual says:

    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make install

    The first line went ok.

    When I invoke the second line it says:

    MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland

    I think it is calling the wrong product/version of "make".

    So I have a couple of questions:

    1. Does ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.MSWin32-x86.MSI contain a "make" program ?

    2. If not what do I need maybe cygwin ?

    3. How do I call the right make product/version ?

    ( I am using windows xp )

    Any help would be great

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Dec 7, 2004

  2. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I download some perl source code and the manual says:
    >
    > perl Makefile.PL
    > make
    > make install
    >
    > The first line went ok.
    >
    > When I invoke the second line it says:
    >
    > MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
    >
    > I think it is calling the wrong product/version of "make".
    >
    > So I have a couple of questions:
    >
    > 1. Does ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.MSWin32-x86.MSI contain a "make" program ?
    >
    > 2. If not what do I need maybe cygwin ?
    >
    > 3. How do I call the right make product/version ?
    >
    > ( I am using windows xp )
    >
    > Any help would be great
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    If it is a Perl module/package that you are trying to install, you should
    use the Perl Package Manager in ActivePerl to download and install the
    module/package.

    ladygrinningsoul, Dec 9, 2004

  3. "ladygrinningsoul" <> wrote in message

    > "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I download some perl source code and the manual says:
    > >
    > > perl Makefile.PL
    > > make
    > > make install
    > >
    > > The first line went ok.
    > >
    > > When I invoke the second line it says:
    > >
    > > MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
    > >
    > > I think it is calling the wrong product/version of "make".
    > >
    > > So I have a couple of questions:
    > >
    > > 1. Does ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.MSWin32-x86.MSI contain a "make" program ?
    > >
    > > 2. If not what do I need maybe cygwin ?
    > >
    > > 3. How do I call the right make product/version ?
    > >
    > > ( I am using windows xp )
    > >
    > > Any help would be great
    > >
    > > Bye,
    > > Skybuck.
    > >

    > If it is a Perl module/package that you are trying to install, you should
    > use the Perl Package Manager in ActivePerl to download and install the
    > module/package.

    Well I don't know about all this ;)

    The main source was missing this "module"

    So I solved it by copieing the source of the module into the main source ;)

    That'll do for now ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Skybuck Flying

    jbl Guest

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:09:33 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I download some perl source code and the manual says:
    >
    > perl Makefile.PL
    > make
    > make install
    >
    >The first line went ok.
    >
    >When I invoke the second line it says:
    >
    >MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
    >
    >I think it is calling the wrong product/version of "make".
    >
    >So I have a couple of questions:
    >
    >1. Does ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.MSWin32-x86.MSI contain a "make" program ?
    >
    >2. If not what do I need maybe cygwin ?
    >
    >3. How do I call the right make product/version ?
    >
    >( I am using windows xp )
    >
    >Any help would be great
    >
    >Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    Get nmake from Microsoft
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe

    Once you have the nmake15.exe, executing it will create 3 files on
    your machine (nmake.exe, nmake.err, & a readme). Now you have a way to
    install modules on you pc.

    Example:

    To install the Crypt::SSLeay mod, download the tar.gz
    http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-module/Crypt/Crypt-SSLeay-0.51.tar
    ..gz and extract the files to a temp directory. Then from the command
    line, move into the temp directory and type the following commands:

    perl Makefile.PL
    c:\nmake\nmake.exe
    c:\nmake\nmake.exe test
    c:\nmake\nmake.exe install
    c:\nmake\nmake.exe clean

    This assumes that you nmake exe is in c:\nmake\, if not change it to
    match your system config.

    jbl

    jbl, Dec 10, 2004