make dependent assembly to use a different version

Abubakar

Hi,

working in vs 2k5 in windows 7rc. How do we configure an assembly to use
whatever latest version that is available to it? Say the assembly named
"Halo" is using X version during development, now when deployed, "Halo" has
version Y available to it. I remember that we could write some xml in some
config file (web.config?) to make this happen. Its going to be such a
configuration that wont require any change when shifted from development to
deployment, will use whichever of the X or Y version is available.

thanks,

...ab

Gregory A. Beamer

Hi,

working in vs 2k5 in windows 7rc. How do we configure an assembly to
use whatever latest version that is available to it? Say the assembly
named "Halo" is using X version during development, now when deployed,
"Halo" has version Y available to it. I remember that we could write
some xml in some config file (web.config?) to make this happen. Its
going to be such a configuration that wont require any change when
shifted from development to deployment, will use whichever of the X or
Y version is available.

Check the config file and see if references are set to a specific
version. Remove the version number and you should be able to have it
automagically update.

NOTE: The danger in this is if you make a breaking change, as an "I
forgot to update the site" means you are broken.

Another possibility is to keep the version number the same, but this
kludge is just plain sloppy in my book. Maybe lazy instead, which I can
live with. ;-)

Peace and Grace,

Abubakar

Gregory A. Beamer said:
Check the config file and see if references are set to a specific
version. Remove the version number and you should be able to have it
automagically update.

NOTE: The danger in this is if you make a breaking change, as an "I
forgot to update the site" means you are broken.

Another possibility is to keep the version number the same, but this
kludge is just plain sloppy in my book. Maybe lazy instead, which I can
live with. ;-)

Peace and Grace,
Another possibility is to keep the version number the same, but this
kludge is just plain sloppy in my book. Maybe lazy instead, which I can
live with. ;-)

Hi n thanks for replying. It's a thirdparty component. On the machine that
the application is being deployed, it has some newer version. Removing the
versions from the source files seem not so cool, cuz it gets there
automatically and than everytime I will deploy I will have to check to
remove or replace them with the newer version (replace is what I'm doing
right now). I remember there is a way through maybe web.config that u just
tell through some xml tags and mention that for this assembly, simply use
this version if available. I have done it few years back but now I cant
remember.

Gregory A. Beamer

Hi n thanks for replying. It's a thirdparty component. On the machine
that the application is being deployed, it has some newer version.
Removing the versions from the source files seem not so cool, cuz it
gets there automatically and than everytime I will deploy I will have
to check to remove or replace them with the newer version (replace is
what I'm doing right now). I remember there is a way through maybe
web.config that u just tell through some xml tags and mention that for
this assembly, simply use this version if available. I have done it
few years back but now I cant remember.

The config method is simply removing the bits that tie it to a version.
This will not work if you have direct references in the pages, however,
so be careful and make sure you don't have a lot of @ Imports in the
actual pages, or you will not benefit from hacking it in the web.config.

I also remember some other setting to "allow newever versions", but I
don't remember if it was different from removing version numbers from
the web.config or not.