make dynamic sized iframe work? or alt ideas?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Eric Peterson, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. I'm just an occasional, light-weight programmer/web page builder... IOW:
    I don't really know what I'm doing.

    I'm working on a photo gallery page with a rough format of:
    header and menu
    content
    footer
    Where the content is dynamic showing the home page, or one of a couple
    informational text pages, or a photo gallery. For the gallery I'd like
    to have thumbnails displayed in a horizontal strip (filmstrip style)
    with a scroll bar to run through them. I'd like clients to be able to
    click on a picture from the filmstrip to view a larger version. That is
    where my problem begins.

    So far I've used an iframe to view the content (the only way I could
    find to get a horizontal scroll bar for content alone... no scrolling of
    header/footer). For the thumbnail views in the filmstrip, an iframe
    height of about 400 pixels works great, but that is too short for
    showing a larger version of the photo. But since the client clicks on
    the photo, within the iframe, I can't seem to change the height of the
    frame, which is within the parent's <iframe> tag.

    I know nothing about java, but it is probably my best hope??? A way to
    force an update of the parent page from a link/click within the child page?

    Or maybe I could force an update of the parent page with any click
    somewhere within the iframe? (yet still have the link work for the
    content in the iframe)

    Other ideas? Maybe even dump the iframe idea entirely (but then how do
    I horizontally scroll a portion of the page?

    Thanks! Specific coding suggestions are more than welcome, since I'm no
    expert.

    -Eric
    Eric Peterson, Jan 24, 2006