make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test_dynamic'

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Cathy Hui, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Cathy  Hui

    Cathy Hui Guest

    Hello,

    I have trouble installing Template module using. Below is the
    installation logs. Could someone give me some clue what went wrong and
    how to fix it?

    Some background info:
    OS: Solaris 8
    Perl: v5.8.3 (From SunFreeware)
    DBI: 1.4.7 (from CPAN)
    DBD: 2.1028 (from CPAN)
    MySQL: 4.0.21 (From SunFreeware)
    GCC: 3.4.2 (From SunFreeware)
    Autoconf: 2.59 (From SunFreeware)
    Automake: 1.9 (From SunFreeware)

    Thanks in advance!

    # perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Template"'

    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read /.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:58:01 GMT
    Running install for module Template
    Running make for A/AB/ABW/Template-Toolkit-2.14.tar.gz
    CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
    CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
    Checksum for
    /.cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AB/ABW/Template-Toolkit-2.14.tar.gz ok
    Scanning cache /.cpan/build for sizes
    x Template-Toolkit-2.14, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
    x Template-Toolkit-2.14/lib, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
    ..
    blahblahblah
    ..
    x Template-Toolkit-2.14/TODO, 26388 bytes, 52 tape blocks
    Removing previously used /.cpan/build/Template-Toolkit-2.14

    CPAN.pm: Going to build A/AB/ABW/Template-Toolkit-2.14.tar.gz

    Template Toolkit Version 2.14
    =============================

    Using Unix defaults.

    Run 'perl Makefile.PL TT_HELP' for a summary of options.

    External Modules
    ----------------

    The Template Toolkit includes a number of plugin modules, some of
    which interface to external Perl modules available from CPAN. All the
    plugins will be installed regardless so that they will automatically
    work as and when you install the relevant modules. The tests will be
    skipped for plugins that require external modules not currently
    available on your system.

    Text::Autoformat [X] version 1.13 installed
    GD [X] version 2.19 installed
    GD::Text [X] version 0.86 installed
    GD::Graph [X] version 1.43 installed
    GD::Graph3d [X] version 0.63 installed
    Image::Info [X] version 1.16 installed
    Image::Size [X] version 2.992 installed
    Date::Calc [X] version 5.4 installed
    Pod::pOM [X] version 0.15 installed
    Tie::DBI [X] version 1.01 installed
    XML::DOM [X] version 1.43 installed
    XML::RSS [X] version 1.05 installed
    XML::XPath [X] version 1.13 installed
    DBI [X] version 1.47 installed, configuring tests

    Do you want to run the DBI tests?
    It requires access to an existing test database. [y] n

    writing t/dbi_test.cfg

    XS Stash: TT2 now twice as fast!
    --------------------------------

    We have a new high speed version of the Template::Stash. It's
    a Perl XS module which can evaluate templates about twice as fast as
    the pure-Perl version. It is stable and reliable but be warned that
    it doesn't yet support access to tied hashes (e.g. Tie::DBI) so for
    certain applications you may need to explicitly use the regular stash.

    You can choose to build the XS stash module and enable it by default
    so that it is used automatically for all templates. If you build it
    but don't enable it by default then you can use it something like
    this:

    use Template;
    use Template::Stash::XS;

    my $tt = new Template ({ STASH => new Template::Stash::XS, ... });

    You can also enable the XS stash (or the regular stash if you opt to
    use the XS stash by default) by setting the $STASH package variable
    in the Template/Config.pm module. See 'perldoc Template::Config' for
    further details.

    Do you want to build the XS Stash module? [y]
    Do you want to use the XS Stash for all Templates? [y]

    LaTeX Support
    -------------

    TT2 supports PDF, DVI and PostScript output using the latex filter,
    implemented with the programs pdflatex, latex and dvips.

    Because the latex filter runs latex and pdflatex, template authors
    could
    use this feature to include any arbitrary file in their latex input, or
    also open an arbitrary output file, independent of the ABSOLUTE or
    RELATIVE configuration settings. This might create a security concern
    at
    your site. If you don't trust your template authors then don't enable
    the latex filter.

    I found the following locations for pdflatex, latex and dvips:
    + pdflatex =>
    + latex =>
    + dvips =>

    Do you want to enable the latex filter? [n]

    Optional Extras
    ---------------

    In additional to the Perl modules and POD documentation installed in
    the usual way, the Template Toolkit distribution also contains a
    number of optional components:

    * Template libaries for basic HTML, Pod -> HTML, and PostScript

    * Splash! - a stylish HTML user interface template library / widget
    set

    * HTML documentation - distributed in template form for customisation

    * Stylesheet templates to generate docs as vanilla HTML or using
    Splash!

    * Examples - numerous examples of using the template libraries

    If you want to install these optional components then you'll need to
    specify a separate directory for them.

    Do you want to install these components? [y]

    You can chose any directory for the installation of the additional
    Template Toolkit components. The proposed default assumes a Unix
    flavour to your operating system (suggestions for suitable defaults
    for other platforms welcome).

    Installation directory [/usr/local/tt2]

    Splash!
    -------

    The Splash! template library uses a number of (very) small images to
    build user interface components. These will be installed into the
    directory:

    /usr/local/tt2/images

    If you want to use the Splash! library then you'll need to copy these
    images, define an alias (e.g. in the httpd.conf) or create a symbolic
    link to them so that your web server can find them. Then you'll need
    to specify the resulting URL which can be used to retrieve them from
    the web server.

    Typical values might be '/tt2/images', '/images/tt2',
    '/~user/tt2/images'
    or even something like 'http://www.yourhost.org/images/tt2'.

    (NOTE: If this is too much for you to think about right now, then
    accept the default below and read the Template::Library::Splash
    manpage at your leisure to find out more).

    URL base for TT2 images? [/tt2/images]

    HTML Documentation
    ------------------

    The modules comprising the Template Toolkit contain comprehensive POD
    documentation which can be browsed using 'perldoc' or 'man' (if your
    system supports it). In additional, the distribution also includes a
    set of source templates and style elements for generating the same
    documentation in HTML format. These will be installed in the
    directory:

    /usr/local/tt2/docs

    The HTML documentation can be built for you at "make install" time in
    a plain and simple HTML format or using the Splash! library. You can
    see examples of these different styles and browse the documentation
    online at:

    http://www.template-toolkit.org/docs/

    Do you want to build the HTML documentation? [y]

    If you want to build the HTML documentation using the Splash! library
    then you'll need to make sure you correctly defined the URL for the
    Splash! images above. Otherwise, answer 'n' to the next question to
    use plain HTML.

    Do you want to use the Splash! library? [y]

    Which Splash! colour scheme would you like to use to build the
    documentation? Acceptable values are:

    Name Colours
    -------------------------
    default lilac/mauve
    aqua aqua/marine
    blue grey75/blue75
    green grey75/green75
    grey grey75/grey50
    leon red75/orange/white/black
    red grey75/red75

    Enter name of colour scheme: [default]

    HTML Examples
    -------------

    A number of examples showing use of the HTML, Splash! and PostScript
    libraries will be installed into:

    /usr/local/tt2/examples

    As with the documentation, the examples are provided in template form
    and can be automatically built into HTML pages during the "make
    install". These pages rely on the Splash! library and expect the
    images URL to be correctly defined for correct viewing.

    Do you want to build the HTML example pages? [y]

    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Writing Makefile for Template::Stash::XS
    Writing Makefile for Template

    Configuration complete. You should now run 'make', 'make test' and
    then 'make install'. See the README file for further information.

    Installation Notes
    ------------------

    Please note that the installation of the optional components and
    building of the HTML documentation is performed at the "make install"
    stage as the effective user at that time. This implies that this user
    must have sufficient permission to install into the specified
    directory and that all created directories and files will be owned by
    them.

    cp lib/Template/Plugin/HTML.pm blib/lib/Template/Plugin/HTML.pm
    ..
    blahblahblah
    ..
    cp lib/Template/Plugin/GD/Graph/lines.pm
    Manifying blib/man1/tpage.1
    ..
    blahblahblah
    ..
    Manifying blib/man3/Template::plugin::GD::Graph::lines.3
    /usr/ccs/bin/make -- OK
    Running make test
    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
    "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
    ..
    blahblahblah bunch of test
    ..
    t/config.........ok
    t/constants......ok
    t/iterator.......ok
    t/latex2dvi......skipped
    all skipped: LaTeX not installed
    t/latex2pdf......skipped
    all skipped: LaTeX not installed
    t/latex2ps.......skipped
    all skipped: LaTeX not installed
    t/xpath..........ok 21/21
    t/xpath..........ok
    Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
    t/gd.t 11 1 9.09% 7
    5 tests skipped.
    Failed 1/90 test scripts, 98.89% okay. 1/2595 subtests failed, 99.96%
    okay.
    *** Error code 29
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test_dynamic'
    /usr/ccs/bin/make test -- NOT OK
    Running make install
    make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
    Cathy Hui, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Cathy  Hui

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Cathy Hui wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have trouble installing Template module using. Below is the
    > installation logs. Could someone give me some clue what went wrong and
    > how to fix it?

    <snip insane amount of text>
    > Running make test
    > PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
    > "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
    > .
    > blahblahblah bunch of test

    WHAT?! How can you call this blah blah blah?! Especially when....

    > .
    > t/config.........ok
    > t/constants......ok
    > t/iterator.......ok
    > t/latex2dvi......skipped
    > all skipped: LaTeX not installed
    > t/latex2pdf......skipped
    > all skipped: LaTeX not installed
    > t/latex2ps.......skipped
    > all skipped: LaTeX not installed
    > t/xpath..........ok 21/21
    > t/xpath..........ok
    > Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
    > t/gd.t 11 1 9.09% 7

    ^^^^^

    One of them failed! That's what we need to see! What test failed, and
    why? Otherwise, how can anyone possibly tell you what went wrong?

    > 5 tests skipped.
    > Failed 1/90 test scripts, 98.89% okay. 1/2595 subtests failed, 99.96%
    > okay.
    > *** Error code 29
    > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test_dynamic'

    make test failed, because at least one of the tests failed. You chose
    to disregard the minor detail of WHAT test failed.

    > /usr/ccs/bin/make test -- NOT OK
    > Running make install
    > make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Jun 30, 2005