    but not via IE which is a shame

    Thanks

    , Feb 27, 2004

  2. Ivo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    > I think from looking into google newsgroups history that you can't do

    this,
    > however can someone confirm that:
    >
    > Using IE6
    > Can you load a web page (say www.google.co.uk)
    > Then move to a web page with 2 frames, the centre frame containing the
    > last page visited, in this case google?

    Which of the two is the one in the center? Surely you can build a frameset
    that will load the referrer in one frame, or even inline:
    <script type="youknow">
    document.write( '<iframe src="'+document.referrer+'"></iframe>' )
    <script>
    Ivo

    Ivo, Feb 27, 2004

  3. kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...
    > Hi
    > I think from looking into google newsgroups history that you can't do this,
    > however can someone confirm that:
    >
    > Using IE6
    > Can you load a web page (say www.google.co.uk)
    > Then move to a web page with 2 frames, the centre frame containing the
    > last page visited, in this case google?

    You want to stick someone else's site in your frames?
    Gosh, I hope that's not possible. Or at least not easy.

    Now, if it's your page and your frameset, sure, you do that by passing
    the name of the page to a dynamic frameset.

    ~kaeli~
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you
    need it.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Feb 27, 2004
  4. kaeli wrote: <>
    <snip>
    > You want to stick someone else's site in your frames?
    > Gosh, I hope that's not possible. Or at least not easy.

    <snip>

    Unfortunately it is both possible and easy (subject to the
    document.referrer property being set/available client side (with
    scripting) or the referrer header being available server side). It is of
    questionable legality (copyright) and there is nothing you can do to
    stop any page loaded into a frame from breaking out and invading the top
    frame if it doesn't like where it finds itself loaded.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Feb 27, 2004
  5. optimistx Guest

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    > kaeli wrote: <>
    > <snip>
    >
    >>You want to stick someone else's site in your frames?
    >>Gosh, I hope that's not possible. Or at least not easy.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Unfortunately it is both possible and easy (subject to the
    > document.referrer property being set/available client side (with
    > scripting) or the referrer header being available server side). It is of
    > questionable legality (copyright) and there is nothing you can do to
    > stop any page loaded into a frame from breaking out and invading the top
    > frame if it doesn't like where it finds itself loaded.
    >
    > Richard.

    Let us assume that

    a) I have my page in a frame and somebody else's page in another frame.
    I have frame borders and the title so that a typical user shoud
    understand that the pages come from different sources . The frames
    interact. Am I a good citizen?

    b) I have one window, and there is simultaneusly somebody else's window
    on the screen. In my program script I talk about the (for me known)
    alien window and e.g update my display based to that. Am I a good
    citizen and not violating laws?

    c) if I give to any users a program which does the above things, ...

    If I copy (!) a page from a server to my computer and utilize the page
    to my advantage, I am supposedly involved at least in copying and
    utilizing the copy to my advantage. As everyone is. What is the
    difference with this and the above talk about windows, frames, etc?

    optimistx, Feb 27, 2004
  6. kaeli Guest

    In article <c1ntca$qig$1$>,
    enlightened us with...

    > Unfortunately it is both possible and easy (subject to the
    > document.referrer property being set/available client side (with
    > scripting) or the referrer header being available server side). It is of
    > questionable legality (copyright) and there is nothing you can do to
    > stop any page loaded into a frame from breaking out and invading the top
    > frame if it doesn't like where it finds itself loaded.

    Note to self: put break out of frames code on all pages and hope most
    people have JS enabled...

    ~kaeli~
    The more ridiculous a belief system, the higher probability
    of its success.

    kaeli, Feb 27, 2004

    > I get the impression you can do this using netscape via history[-1]
    > but not via IE which is a shame

    is how domain name masking works normally, certainly on my website
    the real name is blah/blah/blah/..../blah.html and I just want to see
    http://www.sensibleaddress.com.
    There are tons of sites that do this already, but you can usually tell
    because the url doesn't change between page clicks.

    Anyway, thats easy but not want I want to do!

    I have a web page on my own site. When someone clicks on a button I want
    that page to be loaded into a frame and have other stuff loaded into the
    other frames, however I don't want to have to go through every page on my
    site to make a change to make that enabled.

    As I say, nothing dodgy occuring here, just javascript advice wanted!

    , Feb 28, 2004