Make frame load last loaded web page

foldface

Hi
I think from looking into google newsgroups history that you can't do this,
however can someone confirm that:

Using IE6
Can you load a web page (say www.google.co.uk)
Then move to a web page with 2 frames, the centre frame containing the
last page visited, in this case google?

I get the impression you can do this using netscape via history[-1]
but not via IE which is a shame

Thanks

Ivo

Hi
I think from looking into google newsgroups history that you can't do this,
however can someone confirm that:

Using IE6
Can you load a web page (say www.google.co.uk)
Then move to a web page with 2 frames, the centre frame containing the
last page visited, in this case google?

Which of the two is the one in the center? Surely you can build a frameset
that will load the referrer in one frame, or even inline:
<script type="youknow">
document.write( '<iframe src="'+document.referrer+'"></iframe>' )
<script>
Ivo

I get the impression you can do this using netscape via history[-1]
but not via IE which is a shame

Thanks

kaeli

Hi
I think from looking into google newsgroups history that you can't do this,
however can someone confirm that:

Using IE6
Can you load a web page (say www.google.co.uk)
Then move to a web page with 2 frames, the centre frame containing the
last page visited, in this case google?

You want to stick someone else's site in your frames?
Gosh, I hope that's not possible. Or at least not easy.

Now, if it's your page and your frameset, sure, you do that by passing
the name of the page to a dynamic frameset.

~kaeli~
Experience is something you don't get until just after you
need it.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Richard Cornford

kaeli wrote: said:
You want to stick someone else's site in your frames?
Gosh, I hope that's not possible. Or at least not easy.
<snip>

Unfortunately it is both possible and easy (subject to the
document.referrer property being set/available client side (with
scripting) or the referrer header being available server side). It is of
questionable legality (copyright) and there is nothing you can do to
stop any page loaded into a frame from breaking out and invading the top
frame if it doesn't like where it finds itself loaded.

Richard.

optimistx

Richard said:
kaeli wrote: <[email protected]>

<snip>

Unfortunately it is both possible and easy (subject to the
document.referrer property being set/available client side (with
scripting) or the referrer header being available server side). It is of
questionable legality (copyright) and there is nothing you can do to
stop any page loaded into a frame from breaking out and invading the top
frame if it doesn't like where it finds itself loaded.

Richard.

Let us assume that

a) I have my page in a frame and somebody else's page in another frame.
I have frame borders and the title so that a typical user shoud
understand that the pages come from different sources . The frames
interact. Am I a good citizen?

b) I have one window, and there is simultaneusly somebody else's window
on the screen. In my program script I talk about the (for me known)
alien window and e.g update my display based to that. Am I a good
citizen and not violating laws?

c) if I give to any users a program which does the above things, ...

If I copy (!) a page from a server to my computer and utilize the page
to my advantage, I am supposedly involved at least in copying and
utilizing the copy to my advantage. As everyone is. What is the
difference with this and the above talk about windows, frames, etc?

kaeli

Unfortunately it is both possible and easy (subject to the
document.referrer property being set/available client side (with
scripting) or the referrer header being available server side). It is of
questionable legality (copyright) and there is nothing you can do to
stop any page loaded into a frame from breaking out and invading the top
frame if it doesn't like where it finds itself loaded.

Note to self: put break out of frames code on all pages and hope most
people have JS enabled...

~kaeli~
The more ridiculous a belief system, the higher probability
of its success.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

foldface

I get the impression you can do this using netscape via history[-1]
but not via IE which is a shame

is how domain name masking works normally, certainly on my website
the real name is blah/blah/blah/..../blah.html and I just want to see
http://www.sensibleaddress.com.
There are tons of sites that do this already, but you can usually tell
because the url doesn't change between page clicks.

Anyway, thats easy but not want I want to do!

I have a web page on my own site. When someone clicks on a button I want
that page to be loaded into a frame and have other stuff loaded into the
other frames, however I don't want to have to go through every page on my
site to make a change to make that enabled.

As I say, nothing dodgy occuring here, just javascript advice wanted!