Make HTML code show up on the web

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:
Alternatively, you can rename the file from file.html to file.txt

That might not help in all cases.

First, the file name suffix has no magic in itself. It's the HTTP
headers that specify whether a resource is to be treated as HTML, as
plain text, or as something else. On the other hand, using ".txt"
_usually_ makes the server send a header that tells that the resource is
plain text.

Second, IE has been observed to ignore the HTTP header and treat data as
HTML, if IE "thinks" that it "looks like" HTML. This is all wrong, but
what can you do?

And does it matter? Anyone who can possibly benefit from seeing HTML
markup probably knows how to do View Source. On the other hand, HTML
markup written by someone who does odd tricks to do a simple thing and
multiposts advice on it is hardly worth copying or imitating.

Bob

Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:

That might not help in all cases.

First, the file name suffix has no magic in itself. It's the HTTP
headers that specify whether a resource is to be treated as HTML, as
plain text, or as something else. On the other hand, using ".txt"
_usually_ makes the server send a header that tells that the resource is
plain text.

Second, IE has been observed to ignore the HTTP header and treat data as
HTML, if IE "thinks" that it "looks like" HTML. This is all wrong, but
what can you do?

And does it matter? Anyone who can possibly benefit from seeing HTML
markup probably knows how to do View Source. On the other hand, HTML
markup written by someone who does odd tricks to do a simple thing and
multiposts advice on it is hardly worth copying or imitating.

I h

Bob

Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:

That might not help in all cases.

First, the file name suffix has no magic in itself. It's the HTTP
headers that specify whether a resource is to be treated as HTML, as
plain text, or as something else. On the other hand, using ".txt"
_usually_ makes the server send a header that tells that the resource is
plain text.

Second, IE has been observed to ignore the HTTP header and treat data as
HTML, if IE "thinks" that it "looks like" HTML. This is all wrong, but
what can you do?

And does it matter? Anyone who can possibly benefit from seeing HTML
markup probably knows how to do View Source. On the other hand, HTML
markup written by someone who does odd tricks to do a simple thing and
multiposts advice on it is hardly worth copying or imitating.

I have to multipost. I don't have a newsreader and I got rid of my
news account. I post from Google groups so there is no way to cross
post, unless I have not figured it out yet.

Els

Bob said:
I have to multipost. I don't have a newsreader and I got rid of my
news account. I post from Google groups so there is no way to cross
post, unless I have not figured it out yet.

In my Google Groups 'new post' form, I see a field "To Newsgroups". My
guess is that that is meant to be plural. Especially since right below
that file there's a sentence saying "(Separate multiple groups with
commas)".

Nick Theodorakis

Bob wrote:
I have to multipost. I don't have a newsreader and I got rid of my
news account. I post from Google groups so there is no way to cross
post, unless I have not figured it out yet.

You just type in the other newsgroups in the "Newsgroups" field,
separated by commas.

Nick