make install with python

Uwe Mayer

Hi,

I am writing a Python application and use the GNU auto-tools to compile what
needs compilation (i.e. Qt's .ui files).
However, I don't know how to write an automake file that installs the main
file (lmc.py) and some library files (i.e. ClassA.py, ClassB.py) into the
appropriate directories.

Any tips there?

Thanks
Uwe

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Uwe said:
Hi,

I am writing a Python application and use the GNU auto-tools to compile what
needs compilation (i.e. Qt's .ui files).
However, I don't know how to write an automake file that installs the main
file (lmc.py) and some library files (i.e. ClassA.py, ClassB.py) into the
appropriate directories.

The regular way is to use distutils and a setup.py file (google for
documentation).

Reinhold

Uwe Mayer

Friday 21 January 2005 20:47 pm Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:

[...]
The regular way is to use distutils and a setup.py file (google for
documentation).

Ok, thanks. The <http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.4/dist/dist.html> document
described just what I was looking for.

Any suggestions how I handle uninstallation? This was provided by automake
rather mechanically. I didn't find a section on that in the distutils
documentation... :(

Uwe

Christopher De Vries

Any suggestions how I handle uninstallation? This was provided by automake
rather mechanically. I didn't find a section on that in the distutils
documentation... :(

I've been using distutils for a couple of projects I've written for
work. Overall I love it as I rarely have to consult documentation (I always
need to look at documentation to use autoconf, though I must admit I have only
used autoconf/automake on two projects). On the distutils2.0 Wiki page
(http://www.python.org/moin/DistUtils20) I found the quote:

"Uninstallation is solved as soon as we have an installation database, which
is part of what we're trying to do here." -- BobIppolito

So it looks like they are working on it.

Chris