    thanks.

    -a
    - the dalai lama

    Ara.T.Howard, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Ara.T.Howard

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Mar 4, 2007, at 21:28, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    > you know those threads where someone posts a bit of slow ruby code,
    > then
    > people rework it until it's orders of magnitude faster?
    >
    > what's the BEST one you can remember?

    I liked the one I posted with my writeup of making png.rb faster with
    RubyInline since Dominik (sp?) gained similar speedups with pure-
    ruby. I think the pure-ruby speed-up ended up within an order of
    magnitude of the selectively-optimized RubyInline version. Instead
    of making the operations faster, Dominik changed the data structures
    slightly for speed to reduce work.

    Eric Hodel, Mar 5, 2007

  3. Ara.T.Howard

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Mar 5, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

    > On Mar 4, 2007, at 21:28, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    >> you know those threads where someone posts a bit of slow ruby
    >> code, then
    >> people rework it until it's orders of magnitude faster?
    >>
    >> what's the BEST one you can remember?

    > I liked the one I posted with my writeup of making png.rb faster
    > with RubyInline since Dominik (sp?) gained similar speedups with
    > pure-ruby. I think the pure-ruby speed-up ended up within an order
    > of magnitude of the selectively-optimized RubyInline version.
    > Instead of making the operations faster, Dominik changed the data
    > structures slightly for speed to reduce work.

    I tried to apply dominik's changes and the problem was that they
    broke a lot of stuff. I don't see his numbers as being entirely
    valid, but his approach was.

    Ryan Davis, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Ara.T.Howard

    Guest

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Ryan Davis wrote:

    > On Mar 5, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:
    >
    >> On Mar 4, 2007, at 21:28, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    >>> you know those threads where someone posts a bit of slow ruby code, then
    >>> people rework it until it's orders of magnitude faster?
    >>>
    >>> what's the BEST one you can remember?

    >> I liked the one I posted with my writeup of making png.rb faster with
    >> RubyInline since Dominik (sp?) gained similar speedups with pure-ruby. I
    >> think the pure-ruby speed-up ended up within an order of magnitude of the
    >> selectively-optimized RubyInline version. Instead of making the operations
    >> faster, Dominik changed the data structures slightly for speed to reduce
    >> work.

    > I tried to apply dominik's changes and the problem was that they broke a lot
    > of stuff. I don't see his numbers as being entirely valid, but his approach
    > was.

    lol - i just presented it in class 1 hr ago! but, as you correctly point out
    - it's the concept which is valid, if not the implimentation.

    ps. presented hoe too.

    cheers.

    -a
    - the dalai lama

    , Mar 7, 2007
  5. Ara.T.Howard

    Robert Dober Guest

    On 3/7/07, <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > lol - i just presented it in class 1 hr ago! but, as you correctly point out
    > - it's the concept which is valid, if not the implimentation.

    Sorry for being completely OT but it just stroke me:
    Do your students know to read the ML before the exams?

    Cheers
    Robert
    <snip>
    > be kind whenever possible... it is always possible.
    > - the dalai lama

    -Anonymous

    Robert Dober, Mar 7, 2007