Make <li> tag work the same for IE & Netscape

Mr. x

Hello,

If I am using the <li> tag there is a small dot that is before the text, but
in IE there is also a space character between the dot and the word, and in
Netscape there is no space.

How can I write my code, so both IE and Netscape will have a space between
the dot and the word

* my_word (IE)

and not
*my_word (Netscape) - there is no space character between * and my_word.

Thanks :)

Steve Pugh

Mr. x said:
If I am using the <li> tag there is a small dot that is before the text, but
in IE there is also a space character between the dot and the word, and in
Netscape there is no space.

There normally is a space in Netscape. What styles are you applying?
How can I write my code, so both IE and Netscape will have a space between
the dot and the word

Please post a URL of an example page so that we can see what code you
are using. I can think of two possibilities:

1. Some of your CSS has removed the default padding on the li element
in NN but not IE.
2. You're using li elements, but not as children of ul elements, in
which case anything could happen.

Steve

Jukka K. Korpela

Mr. x said:
http://www.moca.co.il/test/main.html
Right now I don't hire any web-designer, so the site looks pretty
bad,

You seem to have created quite a mess even without a web dee-sighner.
The page is nothing but an iframe, to begin with. Besides, my browsers
says it needs to install some plugin - presumably Hebrew language
support.
(the link is to a test directory, which generally doesn't
openned by users).

Can't see any link. The page is completely void on my IE 5.5.

Mr. x

The page is nothing but an iframe, to begin with. Besides, my browsers
says it needs to install some plugin - presumably Hebrew language
support.
Yes, it is Hebrew, I should say that.
Also has flash (version 4.0).
I meant www.moca.co.il/test/main.html
There is no other link I have mentioned.
Can't see any link. The page is completely void on my IE 5.5.
I have IE 6.0 and netscape 7.1, and Mozilla 1.5.
It works almost the same for those browser, with a tiny <li> differences.
I don't know how to check my site in old browsers,
since there can be only one version of browser,
I would be glade if you give me some advises how to check my site in old
browsers ?
(I don't know why Microsoft, or Netscape companies, didn't do some features
for viewing the in old browser styles ?)
(I don't think this is a great deal is all about !?).

BTW, for this case, here is a source of using <li> with the problem of
netscape :
-----------------
13pt;"><b>
A Text 1
</i></b>
A Text 2
A Text 2
<li>List Item 1<br>
<li>List Item 2<br>
<li>List Item 3<br>
<li>List Item 4<br>
<li>List Item 5<br>
<li>List Item 6<br>
<li>List Item 7<br>
<li>List Item 8<br>
<li>List Item 9<br>
<li>List Item 10<br>

</b></td>

Mr. x

As I suspected. You are not nesting your said:
element. This is not allowed.
I have added the <ul>, something like
<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
</ul>
, but I now a new problem.
IE is OK.
Netscape doesn't have any dots before the items.
I know this link, but first I'll have to change my HTML to XHTML code before
I continue - am I right.
(I shall spend a little time on doing it).

Thanks :)

Steve Pugh

Mr. x said:
I have added the <ul>, something like
<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
</ul>
, but I now a new problem.
IE is OK.
Netscape doesn't have any dots before the items.

Looks like a minor issue with Gecko (Mozilla, NN6/7, etc.) and lists
within a dir="rtl" block. A little bit of CSS can solve it. See
http://steve.pugh.net/test/x/
I know this link, but first I'll have to change my HTML to XHTML code before
I continue - am I right.

No. The validator will validate HTML as well as, in fact in a few
minor ways better, than XHTML. Unless you have some other reason to
convert to XHTML?

Steve