Make problems

Dennis Sutch

I'm having problems with various make files complaining about missing
separators (with CPANPLUS-0.044 and Digest-MD5-2.27). I'm running
Perl version 5.8.0, GNU Make version 3.79.1 on RedHat Linux 9.0.

One example is when attempting to make Digest-MD5-2.27:

Makefile:83: *** missing separator. Stop.

Makefile, starting at line 82:

installhtml3dir=''
installman1
INSTALLSITEBIN = /usr
INSTALLVENDORBIN = /usr/bin'
installvendorhtml1=''
installvendorhtml3=''
installvendorlib='/u
INSTALLSCRIPT = /usr/bin
PERL_LIB = /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
PERL_ARCHLIB = /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
SITELIBEXP = '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl'
sit
SITEARCHEXP = /usr/lib/pe

The Makefile seems to be corrupt. Could ExtUtils::MakeMaker-6.03 be
at fault, or is there something that could be misconfigured on my
system?

James Willmore

On 27 Sep 2003 18:23:47 -0700
The Makefile seems to be corrupt. Could ExtUtils::MakeMaker-6.03 be
at fault, or is there something that could be misconfigured on my
system?

Yes :)

Seriously, have you checked to make sure you have the latest versions
of CPANLUS and ExtUtils::MakeMaker? Have you tried to build the
module by hand? Or using just CPAN?

I've found that I need to update all or most of the modules provided
by Linux distros because they're almost always behind by the time the
distro is released.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
There is nothing wrong with Southern California that a rise in
the ocean level wouldn't cure. -- Ross MacDonald