    Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
    My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
    Thx in advance.
    D. Xenakis, Apr 3, 2013

  2. D. Xenakis <gouzounakis <at> hotmail.com> writes:

    > Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from
    > http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed

    official 3.3 version
    > too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
    > My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version

    interpreter launces. In addition if i
    > right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens.

    How can i make python 3.3 the
    > default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does

    not work with 2.7 .
    > Thx in advance.

    Check out the post at
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4664646/how-to-change-default-python-version-on-windows-xp
    ..
    Especially the part about changing the registry. The Python.File entry mentioned
    there also has the information about the IDLE version to use.
    Best,
    Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Maier, Apr 3, 2013

  3. D. Xenakis

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 04/03/2013 04:44 AM, D. Xenakis wrote:
    > Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
    > My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
    > Thx in advance.

    That was one of the choices you were presented with during the install.
    It defaults to making the newly installed one the default, but there
    was a checkbox or something. (It's been years since I did a Windows
    install, so I don't really remember)

    Anyway, if Wolfgang's link doesn't do it for you, consider re-installing
    3.3. It should just go on top of the existing one, and the only change
    should be that it would then become the default one.

    --
    DaveA
    Dave Angel, Apr 3, 2013
  4. On 03/04/2013 09:44, D. Xenakis wrote:
    > Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
    > My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
    > Thx in advance.

    Not quite answering your question but are you aware of
    http://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html#launcher ?

    --
    If you're using GoogleCrap™ please read this
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.

    Mark Lawrence
    Mark Lawrence, Apr 3, 2013
  5. D. Xenakis

    D. Xenakis Guest

    I tried to reinstall python 3.3 but there was not change :(.
    I selected to run all component from my PC.
    I'll give it a try with those registries.

    D. Xenakis, Apr 3, 2013
  7. D. Xenakis

    D. Xenakis Guest

    ?? ???????, 3 ???????? 2013 12:43:43 ?.?. UTC+3, ? ??????? Wolfgang Maier ??????:
    > D. Xenakis <gouzounakis <at> hotmail.com> writes:
    >

    > > Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from

    > > http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed

    > official 3.3 version
    >
    > > too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .

    > > My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version

    > interpreter launces. In addition if i
    >
    > > right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens.

    > How can i make python 3.3 the
    >
    > > default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does

    > not work with 2.7 .
    >
    > > Thx in advance.

    > Check out the post at
    >
    > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4664646/how-to-change-default-python-version-on-windows-xp
    >
    > .
    >
    > Especially the part about changing the registry. The Python.File entry mentioned
    >
    > there also has the information about the IDLE version to use.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Wolfgang

    I changed this too Python.CompiledFile to my 33 version.
    Should i not touch this key?
    D. Xenakis, Apr 3, 2013
  8. D. Xenakis

    D. Xenakis, Apr 3, 2013
  9. D. Xenakis <gouzounakis <at> hotmail.com> writes:

    > > The Python.File entry mentioned
    > > there also has the information about the IDLE version to use.
    > >
    > > Best,
    > >
    > > Wolfgang

    > I changed this too Python.CompiledFile to my 33 version.
    > Should i not touch this key?

    The [.CompiledFile\shell\open\command] sets the python version used
    for running pre-compiled .pyc files.
    Likewise, [.NoConFile\shell\open\command] sets it for .pyw files
    (intended to be run not from a console window - hence the name of the
    entry).
    Usually, you will want to have all of them point to the same Python
    version.

    Best,
    Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Maier, Apr 3, 2013