Make shared library to executable

Nethali

Hi folks,

Is there any way to embed shared library directly, to executable file
it self so that executable file can run stand alone without the shared
library.

I don't want to compile the source, make the static library and plug
it. I just want to use dynamic library as it is.

Thanks in advance...

Sam

Nethali said:
Hi folks,

Is there any way to embed shared library directly, to executable file

There's no such thing as a "shared library" in the C++ language.

You should ask for help in a more appropriate newsgroup or mailing list, the
one for your operating system, or your specific C++ compiler.

Nethali

There's no such thing as a "shared library" in the C++ language.

You should ask for help in a more appropriate newsgroup or mailing list, the
one for your operating system, or your specific C++ compiler.

 application_pgp-signature_part
1KDownload

No dear, there is a thing called shared libraries in C++. Give a
google search, it gives lot of articles on this. Some people call this
as dynamic libraries.

Nethali

There's no such thing as a "shared library" in the C++ language.

You should ask for help in a more appropriate newsgroup or mailing list, the
one for your operating system, or your specific C++ compiler.

 application_pgp-signature_part
1KDownload

There is a thing called Shared library in C++ also. Some people call
this as dynamic library. Give a google search, it will give many
articles on C/C++ shared libraries.

Sam

Nethali said:
No dear, there is a thing called shared libraries in C++.

Nope, sorry, there isn't. Whoever told you that, doesn't know what he or
she was talking about, and you should stop listening to them.

The C++ language is specified by the document ISO/IEC 18882, dated
2003.10.15. You will not find any reference to anything called a "shared
library", anywhere in this 786 document that formally defines the C++
language, that's in front of me right now.
Give a
google search, it gives lot of articles on this. Some people call this
as dynamic libraries.

I'm sure there are things that are commonly called "shared libraries", or
"dynamic libraries". However, none of that has anything to do with C++. Many
of these so-called "shared libraries" don't even have a byte of C++ code in
them; their contents were written in some other programming language.

Again, you should ask for help in a mailing list or a newsgroup that's
specific to your operating system or compiler. Do you even think that it's
possible that the instructions for creating or using shared libraries are
different, for various operating systems? That creating shared libraries on,
say, Microsoft Windows, maybe -- just may be -- be a very different process
than it is, say, on UNIX? Well, the C++ language is a standard that's
defined independently of any particular operating systems, so, by
definition, any operating system-specific issues have nothing to do with
C++.

And since, it looks like, you haven't even bothered to elaborate what
operating system you're using, how exactly did you expect everyone to know
the answer to your question? A crystal ball? Sorry, all our psychics are out
to lunch, and nobody in the office knows how to operate the magical mind
ray-beam machine.

James Kanze

Interesting. I've never heard of it, and they aren't supported
on the machines I have access to (Solaris, Linux and Windows).
It do have dynamic linking, however, with dynamic linked object
files being called either shared objects (although there is no
requirement to share them) or dynamic linked libraries (although
they behave like object files, and not like libraries).
Anyway...
Nope, sorry, there isn't. Whoever told you that, doesn't know
what he or she was talking about, and you should stop
listening to them.
The C++ language is specified by the document ISO/IEC 18882,
dated 2003.10.15.

That's ISO/IEC 14882:2003. And that only partially specifies
what is understood by C++. Boost is also part of C++, as is
threading, and neither of them are mentioned in that document
either. For that matter, some (not all) aspects of dynamic
linking are part of C++.

The important thing here, of course, is that how to link
(period -- shared libraries or not) is very implementation
specific; the standard explicitly doesn't say anything about it.
And most of the support for dynamic linking is also very
implementation specific---to the point where I need a different
set of commands for g++ under Solaris and g++ under Linux, even
though it's the same compiler, and both OS's are Unix or
Unix-like.

[...]
And since, it looks like, you haven't even bothered to
elaborate what operating system you're using, how exactly did
you expect everyone to know the answer to your question?

Presumably, it's an OS which calls them shared libraries. So
it's not Windows, and it's not Unix. Which is even more of a
reason to go to a dedicated group, since for better or worse,
I'm pretty sure that most people here mainly have experience
with one or both of these (and usually not much else).

red floyd

Nethali said:
There is a thing called Shared library in C++ also. Some people call
this as dynamic library. Give a google search, it will give many
articles on C/C++ shared libraries.

Please point to the specific section of ISO/IEC 14882:2003 that defines
a "Shared Library". Thank you.