    Problems with your current host?
    We honor up to 6 months of their contract.
    See our site for complete details.

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <> said:

    > http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
    >
    > ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact information.
    > Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the email address is
    > correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if you are using a
    > non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you won't even get a
    > warning before they de-activate your domain.

    what kind of majics are they going to use to determine an email address
    is dead or otherwise dodgy and therefore terminate the domain or that
    the email just didn't get through a spam filter? what about people who
    don't have a phone number? (like me)

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:
    > http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
    >
    > ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
    > information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the
    > email address is correct, and give you a chance to update. However,
    > if you are using a non-working email address (which I see ALL the
    > time) - you won't even get a warning before they de-activate your
    > domain.

    Do you have a link to the ICANN rules as to the minimum information
    required? It is logically quite possible to own a domain name, and even run
    a website, without having a telephone or telephone number. A cable modem
    would do such fine. As such, "none" for telephone number seems reasonable.
    Name + a mailing address would seem essential. There may be a million people
    named John Smith on this planet, however rare that 2 would share the same
    physical street address. Thus these 2 pieces of data usually are sufficient
    to nail down ownership. And some e-mail address is needed to contact the
    domain name owner if needed. Little excuse for not having a valid e-mail,
    given all the free e-mail services out there.
    --
    http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
    For information about the psychedelic drug DXM, including dangers.

    rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Bill Logan Guest

    "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    > http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
    >
    > ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect

    contact information.
    > Normally they'll contact you by email,

    Not quite correct! ICANN does not contact you, they contact
    the registrar with whom the name is registered and 'request'
    them to investigate.

    Important to mention also the rgistrars are not 'required'
    to report back to ICANN on the status of their investigation
    and in fact of all the requests to registrars only 36
    percent were responded to!

    > if at least the email address is
    > correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if you

    are using a
    > non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you

    won't even get a
    > warning before they de-activate your domain.

    Now there is a bit of scare mongering Tina. Where on earth
    in that article (or elsewhere for that matter) did you find
    that they will deactivate your domain without warning?

    While the there is some logic in the idea that a registrant
    provide legitimate contact details the article itself is
    really instigated by the frustration of the Federal Trade
    Commissioner J. Howard Beales III, director of the Bureau Of
    Consumer Protection
    who is unable to track down and prosecute fraudsters. A
    couple of points spring to mind.
    1. Even with accurate contact details they would only be
    able to arrest and charge those who are resident in the US.
    2. The article adds to the case for removal of ICANN to a
    jurisdiction more International and less parochial than the
    US
    3. Change the title of the FTC to Federal Trade Commissarr
    J. Howard Beales III, director of the PolitiBureau Of
    Consumer Protection and it would sound like a communist
    plot. (Is that the way the west is going? In disguise???)

    Your post got my attention by the implications within it.
    Thus I scrambled to read the linked article. It was a little
    bit like the police rushing through the streets calling out
    the Russians are comming (with all the fear that would
    generate) - when in reality the Moscow circus is about to
    perform.

    Sugest you lighten up on the prophecies of doom!

    Bill Logan, Apr 4, 2004
  5. brucie wrote:

    > what kind of majics are they going to use to determine an email
    > address is dead or otherwise dodgy and therefore terminate the domain
    > or that the email just didn't get through a spam filter?

    What if the site owner got in an auto accident and was in a coma at the
    time? Or on a year long around the world vacation where they didn't have
    access to a computer? Imagine at the domain name is a site about ancient
    Greek history. The owner has paid up the domain name for 10 years, and also
    paid up for hosting for years. Basically, their idea was to put up the site
    as an information resource, and forget about it for quite a while.

    > what about
    > people who don't have a phone number? (like me)

    I posted about this possibility at the same minute you posted the above.
    ;) A phone number is NOT needed in the least to run a website. Or, maintain
    one. If hypothetical someone filed a challenge to the domain name based on
    trademark infringement, the matter could be totally handled by e-mail and
    snail mail.

    rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski, Apr 4, 2004
  6. "rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski" <> skrev i
    meddelandet news:406f6e28$0$89254$...
    > brucie wrote:
    >
    > > what kind of majics are they going to use to determine an email
    > > address is dead or otherwise dodgy and therefore terminate the domain
    > > or that the email just didn't get through a spam filter?

    > What if the site owner got in an auto accident and was in a coma at the
    > time? Or on a year long around the world vacation where they didn't have
    > access to a computer? Imagine at the domain name is a site about ancient
    > Greek history. The owner has paid up the domain name for 10 years, and

    also
    > paid up for hosting for years. Basically, their idea was to put up the

    site
    > as an information resource, and forget about it for quite a while.
    >
    > > what about
    > > people who don't have a phone number? (like me)

    > I posted about this possibility at the same minute you posted the

    above.
    > ;) A phone number is NOT needed in the least to run a website. Or,

    maintain
    > one. If hypothetical someone filed a challenge to the domain name based on
    > trademark infringement, the matter could be totally handled by e-mail and
    > snail mail.
    > --
    > http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
    > For information about the psychedelic drug DXM, including dangers.

    Is the postadress ( not e-mail) enough too? If you register a domain
    through your host is the host responsible to give correct adress
    information?
    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.italymap.dk

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Apr 4, 2004
  7. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Bill Logan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:
    > > http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
    > >
    > > ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect

    contact
    > > information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if

    at least the
    > > email address is correct, and give you a chance to

    update. However,
    > > if you are using a non-working email address (which I

    see ALL the
    > > time) - you won't even get a warning before they

    de-activate your
    > > domain.

    > Do you have a link to the ICANN rules as to the minimum

    information
    > required?

    There is no minimum stipulated by ICANN.
    What ICANN does stipulate is that the information provided
    must be accurate. False information can be grounds for
    cancellation.
    Two points here.
    1. Not providing a phone number does not breach the rules.
    Providing a number which does not exists, or belongs to
    someone else would be.
    2. ICANN states providing false information could be grounds
    for cancellation. It does not say it will be grounds. In
    other words they may or may not cancell.

    It is logically quite possible to own a domain name, and
    even run
    > a website, without having a telephone or telephone number.

    A cable modem
    > would do such fine. As such, "none" for telephone number

    seems reasonable.
    > Name + a mailing address would seem essential. There may

    be a million people
    > named John Smith on this planet, however rare that 2 would

    share the same
    > physical street address. Thus these 2 pieces of data

    usually are sufficient
    > to nail down ownership. And some e-mail address is needed

    to contact the
    > domain name owner if needed. Little excuse for not having

    a valid e-mail,
    > given all the free e-mail services out there.

    You are quite correct. Under ICANNs rules providing an
    accurate physical street address would meet their
    requirements for ownership contact. (It may not meet a
    registrars agreement who may 'require' an email address)

    Bill Logan, Apr 4, 2004
  8. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message

    If you register a domain
    > through your host is the host responsible to give correct adress
    > information?

    The registrant (you) is responsible for their domains. You should always
    make sure you know who is listed on all domain contacts as well as the
    contact information. Always make sure your domain is under your control.
    Don't depend on anyone else to do it for you.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Apr 4, 2004
  9. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Richard Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post: <news:>
    > "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <> said:

    >> http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
    >>
    >> ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
    >> information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the
    >>email address is correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if
    >>you are using a non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) -
    >>you won't even get a warning before they de-activate your domain.

    > what kind of majics are they going to use to determine an email address
    > is dead or otherwise dodgy and therefore terminate the domain or that
    > the email just didn't get through a spam filter? what about people who
    > don't have a phone number? (like me)

    I don't have a phone either so I use the host's phone number.
    ICANN says that's fine.
    As a matter of fact, they even said I didn't have to list a phone.

    Richard, Apr 4, 2004
  10. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Richard Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:

    > http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181

    > ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
    > information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the email
    > address is correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if you are
    > using a non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you won't
    > even get a warning before they de-activate your domain.

    If they can't contact you via e-mail, they should be able to find out who
    your host is and contact them.
    Then if the addy isn't valid, how about snail mail to the address listed?
    If that fails, then the domain should be toasted.
    Giving a 5 day notice doesn't always cut it.
    As many people are away from home for long periods, such as truckers, and
    may not have access to e-mail.
    Or you go on vacation for a month, come home and find your domain name
    toasted because you didn't respond to the mail.

    What about those that list ifnormation to a third party?

    Just how picky are they getting?

    Richard, Apr 4, 2004
  11. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Grahammer Guest

    > Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:
    >
    > > http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181

    > > ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
    > > information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the

    email
    > > address is correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if you

    are
    > > using a non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you

    won't
    > > even get a warning before they de-activate your domain.

    > If they can't contact you via e-mail, they should be able to find out who
    > your host is and contact them.
    > Then if the addy isn't valid, how about snail mail to the address listed?
    > If that fails, then the domain should be toasted.
    > Giving a 5 day notice doesn't always cut it.
    > As many people are away from home for long periods, such as truckers, and
    > may not have access to e-mail.
    > Or you go on vacation for a month, come home and find your domain name
    > toasted because you didn't respond to the mail.
    >
    > What about those that list ifnormation to a third party?
    >
    > Just how picky are they getting?

    Uhm... if you have an important domain why wouldn't you want ICANN to have
    decent contact information? If the domain is so important that it can't go
    down you obviously should have some method of contact like a cell phone,
    etc.

    Grahammer, Apr 4, 2004
  12. rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski wrote:

    > There may be a million people named John Smith on this planet, however
    > rare that 2 would share the same physical street address.

    Which is more likely?

    - Two John Smith's live at the same physical address; or
    - Two John Smith's live next door to each other.

    I would say the first is far more likely. (Think father and son, or even
    grandfather and grandson.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Apr 4, 2004
  13. Bill Logan wrote:
    > "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <> wrote
    > in message news:...
    >> http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
    >>
    >> ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
    >> information.
    >> However, if you are using
    >> a non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you won't
    >> even get a warning before they de-activate your domain.
    >>

    > Now there is a bit of scare mongering Tina.
    > Sugest you lighten up on the prophecies of doom!

    Now, where's the fun in that?

    --
    William Tasso

    William Tasso, Apr 4, 2004
  14. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski wrote:
    >
    >> There may be a million people named John Smith on this planet,
    >> however rare that 2 would share the same physical street address.

    > Which is more likely?
    >
    > - Two John Smith's live at the same physical address; or
    > - Two John Smith's live next door to each other.
    >
    > I would say the first is far more likely. (Think father and son, or
    > even grandfather and grandson.)

    Then shouldn't it be Sr. and Jr., or John Smith II?

    rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski, Apr 4, 2004
  15. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Matt Probert Guest

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:44:26 +0100 "William Tasso"
    <> broke off from drinking a cup of tea at <a
    href=" http://www.WilliamTasso.com/"> William Tasso </a> to write:

    >Bill Logan wrote:
    >> "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <> wrote
    >> in message news:...
    >>> http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
    >>>
    >>> ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
    >>> information.
    >>> However, if you are using
    >>> a non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you won't
    >>> even get a warning before they de-activate your domain.
    >>>

    >> Now there is a bit of scare mongering Tina.
    >> Sugest you lighten up on the prophecies of doom!

    >Now, where's the fun in that?

    Heck, they'll be calling for a ban on mud-wrestling next (which
    reminds me, when's the next Heidi-Tina bout?) or worse still banning
    tea drinking!

    Matt

    --
    A massive matrix of concise, interlinked encyclopaedia information.
    For when you just want to know, quickly and easily.

    Matt Probert, Apr 4, 2004
  16. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Matt Probert Guest

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:30:27 -0400 "rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski"
    <> broke off from drinking a cup of tea
    at Read Free News to write:

    >Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >> rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski wrote:
    >>
    >>> There may be a million people named John Smith on this planet,
    >>> however rare that 2 would share the same physical street address.

    >> Which is more likely?
    >>
    >> - Two John Smith's live at the same physical address; or
    >> - Two John Smith's live next door to each other.
    >>
    >> I would say the first is far more likely. (Think father and son, or
    >> even grandfather and grandson.)

    > Then shouldn't it be Sr. and Jr., or John Smith II?
    >--

    Not in the UK, we don't use terms such as "junior" or 1st 2nd (unless
    talking about royalty)

    Matt

    Matt Probert, Apr 4, 2004
  17. "Matt Probert" <> wrote in message

    > Not in the UK, we don't use terms such as "junior" or 1st 2nd (unless
    > talking about royalty)

    My Father and Grandfather have the same name as me. So if I was American, I
    suppose I would be called "Chuck the Third"!

    You're right, not something we go for in Britain.
    --
    Charles Sweeney
    www.CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Apr 4, 2004
  18. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Brad H Guest

    > Uhm... if you have an important domain why wouldn't you want ICANN to have
    > decent contact information? If the domain is so important that it can't go
    > down you obviously should have some method of contact like a cell phone,
    > etc.

    Yeah, but there is the privacy issue. Some people want to remain anonymous
    which I can understand. If the law is being broken and can be proven in
    court just pull the plug on their url. Then again, what if the site is
    potentially harmful to peoples health...well maybe registering with
    authentic information is not so bad if their can be a guarantee of
    protection from the Patriot Act prying into our lives without needing a
    subpoena. Until I feel protected from every dumb-ass and or FBI agent that
    wants to pry without a damn good reason, I prefer anonymity. privacy
    related: http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/187

    --
    Brad is my name. My ssn is 666-66-6666
    "Forgive me satan, for I have smiley-faced."

    Brad H, Apr 5, 2004
  19. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Brad H Guest

    "Brad H" <> wrote in message

    > > Uhm... if you have an important domain why wouldn't you want ICANN to

    have
    > > decent contact information? If the domain is so important that it can't

    go
    > > down you obviously should have some method of contact like a cell phone,
    > > etc.

    > Yeah, but there is the privacy issue. Some people want to remain anonymous
    > which I can understand. If the law is being broken and can be proven in
    > court just pull the plug on their url. Then again, what if the site is
    > potentially harmful to peoples health...well maybe registering with
    > authentic information is not so bad if their can be a guarantee of
    > protection from the Patriot Act prying into our lives without needing a
    > subpoena. Until I feel protected from every dumb-ass and or

    Okay I guess they need subpoenas but you get the gist.

    Brad H, Apr 5, 2004
  20. Tina - AffordableHOST.com

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski" <> wrote in

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >> I would say the first is far more likely. (Think father and son, or
    >> even grandfather and grandson.)

    > Then shouldn't it be Sr. and Jr., or John Smith II?

    George Herbert Walker Bush
    George Walker Bush

    If the middle names are different, there's no ordinal designator. And not
    everybody uses their middle name or initial in contact information.

    Eric Bohlman, Apr 5, 2004