make test fails, ExtTest dir

rossdruker

I am building perl 5.8.7 on AIX 5.1 ML08, on an NFS mounted filesystem.

make test fails one test with the error:

lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant...................rm: 0653-611 Directory
.../../../lib/auto/ExtTest is not empty.
rm: 0653-611 Directory ../../../lib/auto/ExtTest is not empty.

There is a .nfsXXXX file in that directory. I opened a call with IBM.
They said this happens when a process tries to remove a file that is
already being accessed. The file will be renamed to allow the process
to complete. But the file never goes away.

Is this a bug in the perl make process?

Ross Druker

Anno Siegel

I am building perl 5.8.7 on AIX 5.1 ML08, on an NFS mounted filesystem.

make test fails one test with the error:

lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant...................rm: 0653-611 Directory
../../../lib/auto/ExtTest is not empty.
rm: 0653-611 Directory ../../../lib/auto/ExtTest is not empty.

There is a .nfsXXXX file in that directory. I opened a call with IBM.
They said this happens when a process tries to remove a file that is
already being accessed. The file will be renamed to allow the process
to complete. But the file never goes away.

It should, afaik. It should only remain when the process responsible for
the removal is killed with a hard kill. Then there's a regular job (cron
or rc.*, I forget) that cleans up the leftovers.
Is this a bug in the perl make process?

Not sure. Does the .nfsXXX file reappear after each attempt, or
was it incidental? It may also be a bug in the AIX implementation
of NFS, or the particular NFS configuration on the machine.

The quickest fix is probably to use a local build directory. The
install directories can still be NFS mounted.

Anno