    Is this a bug in the perl make process?

    Ross Druker

    , Sep 15, 2005

  2. Anno Siegel Guest

    <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > I am building perl 5.8.7 on AIX 5.1 ML08, on an NFS mounted filesystem.
    >
    > make test fails one test with the error:
    >
    > lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant...................rm: 0653-611 Directory
    > ../../../lib/auto/ExtTest is not empty.
    > rm: 0653-611 Directory ../../../lib/auto/ExtTest is not empty.
    > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
    >
    > There is a .nfsXXXX file in that directory. I opened a call with IBM.
    > They said this happens when a process tries to remove a file that is
    > already being accessed. The file will be renamed to allow the process
    > to complete. But the file never goes away.

    It should, afaik. It should only remain when the process responsible for
    the removal is killed with a hard kill. Then there's a regular job (cron
    or rc.*, I forget) that cleans up the leftovers.

    > Is this a bug in the perl make process?

    Not sure. Does the .nfsXXX file reappear after each attempt, or
    was it incidental? It may also be a bug in the AIX implementation
    of NFS, or the particular NFS configuration on the machine.

    The quickest fix is probably to use a local build directory. The
    install directories can still be NFS mounted.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Sep 16, 2005