make

Roopa

Hi,

How does one know what options has the compiler used when we start a
build/compile process (I use gcc compiler)
Actually we use a 'make' command to build the source files and the
output
that appears are so much garbled that we hardly able to identify
these.
Can you tell me what options and version of the 'C' is being used
to build our source file/tree.

This might be OT but any insights is highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Roopa

Mark A. Odell

(e-mail address removed) (Roopa) wrote in

How does one know what options has the compiler used when we start a
build/compile process (I use gcc compiler)
Actually we use a 'make' command to build the source files and the
output
that appears are so much garbled that we hardly able to identify
these.
Can you tell me what options and version of the 'C' is being used
to build our source file/tree.

This might be OT but any insights is highly appreciated.
Thanks,

If you ask in one of the gcc newsgroups that deals with make you willl
probably be told about the how to make 'make' emit commands executed but
we don't talk about make here, only C.

Malcolm

Roopa said:
How does one know what options has the compiler used when we start a
build/compile process (I use gcc compiler)
It's very platform-specific. Compilers always define certain constants to
the preprocessor, which can be used to tell which mode you are compiling in.
However not all option will necessarily trigger a define.

Karthik Kumar

Roopa said:
Hi,

How does one know what options has the compiler used when we start a
build/compile process (I use gcc compiler)
Actually we use a 'make' command to build the source files and the
output
that appears are so much garbled that we hardly able to identify
these.

Unfortunately, the options to the compiler are those 'garbled' output.
Can you tell me what options and version of the 'C' is being used
to build our source file/tree.

Read the compiler manual of your implementation in detail if you
want to know the answer to all these questions.

--
Karthik.
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------