Makefile for 5.6 when 5.004 is default

Pete Butler

The server I'm working on provides perl 5.00401 as a default (it's
what /usr/bin/perl points to), but I've decided it's in my best
interest to use a later version (5.6.1 is also available).

I'm pulling stuff off CPAN and doing the whole "perl Makefile.PL /
make / etc." dance. What options do I need to set to get the
resulting code pointed at 5.6.1 rather than 5.00401? (And no,
re-setting /usr/bin/perl to point to /usr/bin/perl5.6.1 is NOT an
option; it's a third-party server.)

Thanks in advance,
-- Pete Butler

Sam Holden

The server I'm working on provides perl 5.00401 as a default (it's
what /usr/bin/perl points to), but I've decided it's in my best
interest to use a later version (5.6.1 is also available).

I'm pulling stuff off CPAN and doing the whole "perl Makefile.PL /
make / etc." dance. What options do I need to set to get the
resulting code pointed at 5.6.1 rather than 5.00401? (And no,
re-setting /usr/bin/perl to point to /usr/bin/perl5.6.1 is NOT an
option; it's a third-party server.)

Run "/path/to/5.6.1/perl Makefile.PL"

And it should automagically work.

If I'm confused (and hence wrong) then setting /path/to/5.6.1 to be in
your path before /usr/bin before running the Makefile.PL will ceraintly
work.