Makefile for cross compile 64bit Perl

cyl

I downloaded perl-5.8.9 source and compiled it with VS2005
successfully. However when I tried to compile it for 64bit version it
failed because it tried to launch the compiled executable
(miniperl.exe). Since I was using cross-compile on 32bit platform,
64bit miniperl.exe surely could not run. I'm not sure if I mis-
configured the Makefile or this is not feasible. It would be best if
there's an existing makefile to download for use. Anyone has
experience?

sisyphus

There is a mention of cross compiling for 64bit on a 32bit platform in
5.11.3's README.win32 though (and if remember right, there were a number
of patches to 5.11.2 that aimed to decouple miniperl from the target
build settings), so this (unstable) release might be worth a shot.

I'm not sure about there being any "cross compiling for 64bit on a
32bit platform" references in the README.win32.
As I undesrstand it, the "cross compiler" mentioned there (provided by
mingw-w64.sf.net) needs to be run on a 64bit platform. Admittedly, I'm
not exactly clear on what constitutes a "cross compiler", and I
haven't tested to see what happens when one attempts to use this
"cross compiler" on a 32bit platform, so I could be wrong about that
(and someone please correct me if I am).
In any case, I'll give it a run on a 32bit platform when I get a
chance, just to satisfy my own curiosity. In the meantime, I can
confirm that it does work quite well when run on Vista64, though there
were a few tests that failed when last I tested (with perl-5.11.2).

Cheers,
Rob