makefile knowledge neede

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Sheldon, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I have a problem: when running the make command. My script is compiled
    but when the makefile gets to the library that is to be included, I
    get a long long list of "undefined reference to " something in the
    library. Now I have tried to pipe the makefile output to a file in
    order to examine it from start to end but ">" doesn't work and the
    terminal window only scrolls back so far. This has not happened to me
    before so I am fresh out of ideas. Does anyone know how to pipe the
    make output to a file or has something like this happened to you
    before and you have some idea what the problem is?

    tail of error results
    snip.....
    : undefined reference to `fio_fmtr_end'
    /path/libbufr.a(emosnum.o)(.text+0x11d): In function `emosnum_':
    : undefined reference to `fio_src_info'
    snip....

    I know that this library is good and functioning ok.

    Any help is appreciated!

    Sheldon

    Sheldon, Mar 2, 2008

  2. In article <>,
    Sheldon <> wrote:

    >I have a problem: when running the make command.

    'make' is not part of the C language. You should consult a newsgroup
    that discusses your development environment.

    >Now I have tried to pipe the makefile output to a file in
    >order to examine it from start to end but ">" doesn't work and the
    >terminal window only scrolls back so far.

    The remedy for this depends upon your operating system and your
    shell (and possibly on your choice of terminal windows).

    [OT]

    If you are using something unix-like, consider using the 'script'
    command.
    --
    "I will speculate that [...] applications [...] could actually see a
    performance boost for most users by going dual-core [...] because it

    Walter Roberson, Mar 2, 2008

  3. Sheldon <> writes:
    > I have a problem: when running the make command. My script is compiled
    > but when the makefile gets to the library that is to be included, I
    > get a long long list of "undefined reference to " something in the
    > library. Now I have tried to pipe the makefile output to a file in
    > order to examine it from start to end but ">" doesn't work and the
    > terminal window only scrolls back so far. This has not happened to me
    > before so I am fresh out of ideas. Does anyone know how to pipe the
    > make output to a file or has something like this happened to you
    > before and you have some idea what the problem is?
    >
    > tail of error results
    > snip.....
    > : undefined reference to `fio_fmtr_end'
    > /path/libbufr.a(emosnum.o)(.text+0x11d): In function `emosnum_':
    > : undefined reference to `fio_src_info'
    > snip....
    >
    > I know that this library is good and functioning ok.

    Questions about the "make" command should be directed to
    comp.unix.programmer.

    <OT>
    The error messages are being written to stderr, not stdout. Redirect
    both stdout and stderr with ">&" if you're using csh or tcsh, or with
    ">file 2>&1" if you're using sh, bash, ksh, or another Bourne shell
    derivative. For more information about I/O redirection, consult the
    documentation for your shell or post to comp.unix.shells (check for a
    FAQ list first).
    </OT>

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <>