Makefile to recusrively compile pod-docu?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Bruno Boettcher, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. hello,
    i am far from beeing an expert about makefiles thus i as before trying
    to achieve this by myself....

    i have a project with several subdirs which hold a variable number of
    subdirs themselves host of other subdirs.... a whole tree in other
    words...

    now i want to loop over those tree and generate the same tree in a
    docu root after mangling through the pod compiler.

    i suspect i am not alone with that sort of problem, thus a ready
    makefile for that surely exists somewhere.

    thanks for pointing it out to me!

    --
    ciao bboett

    http://inforezo.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett

    Bruno Boettcher, Aug 29, 2003

  2. On 29 Aug 2003 16:05:03 GMT
    (Bruno Boettcher) wrote:
    > i am far from beeing an expert about makefiles thus i as before
    > trying to achieve this by myself....

    Huh?

    > i have a project with several subdirs which hold a variable number
    > of subdirs themselves host of other subdirs.... a whole tree in
    > other words...

    With you so far .... the File::Find module is your friend :)

    > now i want to loop over those tree and generate the same tree in a
    > docu root after mangling through the pod compiler.

    Is this Perl documentation that you are trying to parse? Then the
    ExtUtils::Installed module could be of some assistance. It will seek
    out the installed modules for you. IMHO, it's not as reliable as the
    method used by the CPAN module, but it will get you in the right ball
    park.

    > i suspect i am not alone with that sort of problem, thus a ready
    > makefile for that surely exists somewhere.

    Again, huh? You mean a Perl script, right?

    Or did you post to the wrong group by accident? If this was by
    accident, then ignore everything above - because it applies to Perl.
    I disavow all knowledge of this thread and this thread will
    self-destruct in 5 seconds :)

    Seriously ... you could 'roll your own' script to gather up the
    documentation that is marked up with POD. You can start with the
    modules I mentioned above, as well as check out some of the Pod
    modules on CPAN. Off hand, I don't know of any pre made scripts, but
    have been known to be wrong. Your milage may vary.

    HTH
    --
    Jim

    James Willmore, Aug 30, 2003