makin a page...basic html skills...need advice

SL

Hello group,

I have some basic HTML skills. But that was 3 years ago (self taught). I
was back in school...again (im 35). Learning some networking skills and
other such things like visual basic. It was only the html I threw in to
teach myself some "basics".

Anyways, I dont want to tax my little limited brain anymore. So I am
looking for a click-n-paste, wysiswyg type software to make the most
elemental page to upload to my new powerlink account.

Any tips/links are appreciated.

SL

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed) (SL)
Hello group,
I have some basic HTML skills. But that
was 3 years ago (self taught). I was back
in school...again (im 35). Learning some
networking skills and other such things
like visual basic. It was only the html I
threw in to teach myself some "basics".
Anyways, I dont want to tax my little
limited brain anymore. So I am looking for
a click-n-paste, wysiswyg type software to
make the most elemental page to upload
to my new powerlink account.

Better off learning a bit more basic HTML and stay away from Program
Editors... Try my Design Series for Beginners:
http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html

Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
INFO 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com
See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

Leif K-Brooks

SL said:
Anyways, I dont want to tax my little limited brain anymore. So I am
looking for a click-n-paste, wysiswyg type software to make the most
elemental page to upload to my new powerlink account.

WYSINWIGs don't work. HTML is very simple, you should be able to relearn
it fairly easily.

SL may have written:
............(im 35)...............
Anyways, I dont want to tax my little limited brain anymore.

Brains don't work that way.
They actually respond well to
exercise. Of course, you are 35,
so I suppose you could be over the hill.
I once met a fellow about your age
who couldn't learn any
more back in the early '60s, but it had more
to do with a Volkswagen rollover than
anything else.
So I am
looking for a click-n-paste, wysiswyg type software to make the most
elemental page to upload to my new powerlink account.

See other followups to your post, which are correct.

Brody

Hi.

Yeah, it is much better to learn the code on your own rather than using some
editor. Using programs to do so makes your web pages slow and often times
unstable. Some generate huge images and style sheets that aren't even
compatible with every Internet browser.

I have to agree with the rest of your responses. Strongly.

Oh, and I'm 14 and I learned HTML on my own in fifth/sixth grade. I actually
began using Microsoft FrontPage and just looked at the code and figured out
how it worked! After you learn HTML, go onto JavaScript other programming
languages. I recommend CSS Style Sheets for your web site, otherwise you'll
need to add huge chunks of code to every page.

Good luck,
Brody

Nico Schuyt

SL said:
So I am
looking for a click-n-paste, wysiswyg type software to make the most
elemental page to upload to my new powerlink account.

Have a look at Blink on http://wojanware.com/
A free wisiwyg editor and very easy to use.
Learn something about stylesheets.
Nico

rf

Nico Schuyt said:
Have a look at Blink on http://wojanware.com/
A free wisiwyg editor and very easy to use.

If it's free then why does it require a valid email address to recieve an
unlock key?

Ok I'll bite, having seen this thing mentioned here before <hastily
constructs very temporary email address/>

Hmmm. As I suspected. We have three tabs here. The left hand one, "Normal"
is an instantiation of the standard Internet Explorer Server control, as it
the right hand one, the difference being that the left hand one has edit
enabled. Simple stuff, detailed in MSDN.

The center tab is more interesting. This is a standard RichEdit control with
some syntax highlighting. The code for this can of course be obtained
directly from somewhere like codeguru.

What else. Ah yes, on the right a document tree, no doubt extracted from the
IE control, directly into a standard treeview control. A property list,
detailing those deprecated properties one may apply to the HTML elements on
the page.

Lets type in some stuff. Lets change the colour of the text: Bingo ( or
should I say <blink> ) depricated <font> elements. Change some other things,
more deprecated elements. Not a mention anywhere of being able to use a
style.

The menu bar? Lets insert a table (presumably for layout). Lets split the
page up into frames.

Why is the download 10 megabytes plus? I think I saw fireworks being
installed there somewhere. is not Fireworks a pay for item, subject to
copyright? Maybe there is a "runtime" version :)

I really see nothing that can not be done with notepad or a nice syntax
colouring editor and a selection of browsers. The BIG thrust of <blink> of
course is that is uses IE as its viewer, not My Favourite Browsers. There
are a few nice things like the dropdown "what tag do you want" thing (which
breaks as soon as I roll my mouse wheel to scroll the list) but it comes
nowhere near real editors like <shudder> .net </shudder>, which completes
the element for you and automatically indents things. Oh, hang on, <bink>
*does* complete the element, providing one does not type the closing > in
the opening tag. What about realtime validation, like .net does?

I really think that this thing should not be given to newbies. It encourages
badly constructed and deprecated code, just like FrontPage.

Cheers
Richard.