    fields.

    Thanks,
    Drew

    Drew, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Drew

    John Guest

    Send the data from page1 tot page2 and store these in HIDDEN fields, then
    you bring the data from the new data and the hidden date to page3 and so on.

    John, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Drew

    Drew Guest

    I couldn't see the tree for the forest! Thanks so much for your help!

    Thanks,
    Drew

    Drew, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Drew

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:30:31 GMT, "John" <n o b o d > wrote:

    >Send the data from page1 tot page2 and store these in HIDDEN fields, then
    >you bring the data from the new data and the hidden date to page3 and so on.

    Or session variables, or update a temporary record on each page, it
    depends a lot on what you're doing and why as to which you'd choose.
    For example, if this was a report filled out online that would take
    the user half an hour, I'd use a temporary record since I'd hate to
    lose the first 8 pages when my connection dropped.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Or use session variables as in...

    http://www.gatewayorlando.com/content/rateQuoteSearch_Submit.asp

    David H

    David C. Holley, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Drew

    Luis Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:11:30 -0400, "David C. Holley"
    <> wrote:

    >Or use session variables as in...
    >
    >http://www.gatewayorlando.com/content/rateQuoteSearch_Submit.asp
    >
    >David H

    I'd stay away from session variables for what he wants to do. I took
    over the development of a similar application with a number of input
    screens and a "confirm" screen at the end which did a whole bunch of
    calculations when it was submitted. It worked fine with most users,
    but there was always some 'difficult' user who would have problems,
    eg. some of the session variables on some of the screens would lose
    their values and affect the calculation on the last screen. And
    there's always the oddball user who refuses to enable cookies and
    session variables because of the big "Microsoft conspiracy"...

    The database approach ended up working better and was much more
    reliable. When the user submits the first page send all the data to a
    database. Then retrieve the id of the record that the user inserted.
    Then use that id to update the record after each of the subsequent
    screens.

    If the database isn't an option, go with the hidden form fields and
    querystring options. I've had success with those too...

    Luis, Sep 4, 2004
  7. Drew

    Evertjan. Guest

    Luis wrote on 04 sep 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > I'd stay away from session variables for what he wants to do.

    I would not.

    Session variables is one of the best things of ASP, making all kinds of
    user specific data available to all pages in a session, without depending
    on clientside constructions that can easily be changed by the first whizkid
    of the block.

    If a user has his session cookie use switched of, you can politely tell him
    that he cannot use the functionality offered to all other users.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Sep 4, 2004
  8. Drew

    mark | r Guest

    "Drew" <> wrote in message
    >I need to develop an application that will span 12 or so pages, and on the
    > last page, it lets the user review the data and then insert it all. This
    > is
    > kind of like selling something on eBay, you give it information, click
    > next,
    > enter more info and then at the end you review and submit the item. I was
    > thinking about sessions, but some of the fields are pretty big, like
    > varchar(5000) so I didn't know if there was a way to handle these big
    > fields.

    i'd do what gmail does and create one page of DIV's that are overlayed and
    stepped through using document.getelementbyid(id).style.display='block' (or
    'hidden')

    that way you only have to have two post (at the end), no cookies, session
    variables or other crap to worry about - the site loads quickly and the
    final page reviews the and submits

    see the "mortgage quote" page on www.123mortgagecentre.co.uk to see the DIV
    script in action.

    mark

    mark | r, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Drew

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:52:56 +0200, Luis <andyza@***webmail***.co.za>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:11:30 -0400, "David C. Holley"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Or use session variables as in...
    >>
    >>http://www.gatewayorlando.com/content/rateQuoteSearch_Submit.asp
    >>
    >>David H

    >I'd stay away from session variables for what he wants to do.

    Session variables in this case make more sense than hidden fields in
    query strings. Also harder to spoof.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Sep 5, 2004
  10. Drew

    Drew Guest

    I'm not worrying about spoofing at this point. All of this is internal, on
    our intranet. I think I will try Luis' advice and insert it into the table,
    or maybe I will use a tempdb for this and then insert it all into the
    table...

    Thanks for all the replies on this subject!
    Drew

    Drew, Sep 7, 2004