Making a page wait.

Tim Marsden

Hi,

I would like to be able to create a page which accepts user input.
When to user press Submit, a long task is performed, and the results
displayed on a new page.

When the user presses Submit, can I put a "Waiting...." page out. The page
requests some information from another source, when it gets the information
back it displays it on the page.

Regards
Tim

Patrice

My personal preference is :
- on the submit event (or even on the unload event), to hide the form and
show a section that contains the wait message (mainly because it's easy to
enable ore disable this).

Other options I saw are :
- use an intermediate page (but you have to change the control flow)
- use Response.Flush (but less easy AFAIK with the ASP.NET programming
model) if you want still a valid HTML code
- other ?

Patrice

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tim,

In addition to Patrice's suggestion, here are some tech articles disucssing
on display client waiting info when performing a long run task at the
serverside.

#How to show progress in the client browser for a long-running ASP.NET page
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837375

#DESIGN PATTERNS: Asynchronous Wait State Pattern in ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/12/designpatterns/default.aspx
http://www.aspnetpro.com/NewsletterArticle/2003/08/asp200308bm_l/asp200308bm
_l.asp

Also, you can search some former threads in this group, there're also many
former ones disucssing on the same problem. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tim,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further ideas on this issue? If you have anything unclear or if
there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.