making a table grow horizontally rather than vertically, possiblyusing frames

Scott

I have a frame-based application that shows two table rows in the
bottom-most frame of the window. The problem I'm having is that if I
try to show too much data down there, the table always grows row size
vertically by using excessive amounts of wrapping. If I try to show
this page on a small screen, like a laptop, the excessive amount of
wrapping produces output that is unreadable (table cells that are ten
lines tall with one word per line).

What I'd much rather have happen is for the table to grow the rows
horizontally, adding a horizontal scrollbar as necessary.

I've tried a couple of approaches to this, the first being to try to
apply the "max-height" property to <TD> or <TR> via css, but this
attribute seems to be either outright ignored or unsupported. I also
tried the following, which seems like it should work, but does
nothing:

td {
white-space:nowrap;
}

Even if I could get nowrap to work, that's suboptimal as I'd really
like to allow one line of wrapping (each table cell a maximum of two
lines high).

Any ideas?

Scott

richard

[...]

height:100px;
width:auto;
replace 100px with what ever value you need.

dorayme

Scott said:
[...]

You can't control so exactly the number of lines in advance. But you can
do other things to alleviate the problem. How about trying a few numbers
to suit you like in:

td {min-width: 20em;}

Browser support might be an issue but take a look.

Neredbojias

[...]

You're either using an archaic browser or you screwed up.
white-space:nowrap; works fine on a td.
Even if I could get nowrap to work, that's suboptimal as I'd really
like to allow one line of wrapping (each table cell a maximum of two
lines high).

How would the 1st line know to break and the 2nd not? That might be a
wee bit difficult to impliment.