Making a table with divs

dorayme

Jim Moe said:
It is sad statement about the industry that ... tool makers are so limited
in their technical capability that they cannot produce a tool to create
flexible, designed-for-the-web pages.

Perhaps this might be tempered by the order of difficulty
involved. My instinct says it involves a much higher order than
rendering a visual display in tables. But how to put numbers on
this? Tables just ignores all questions about semantics. Good
human markup makes the big distinction, as well as a whole lot of
wholly or partly connected distinctions about assessibility.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
Some should bring the bastages to justice!

I think humans tend to take advantage of fish because the most they can say
about it is "Glup, glup."
Hell, I've never seen Jaws. :)

Good move (-the original, that is.) I thought Richard Dreyfus was
particularly good.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

I think humans tend to take advantage of fish because the most they can
say about it is "Glup, glup."

That may be all *you* hear.
Good move (-the original, that is.) I thought Richard Dreyfus was
particularly good.

I have a thing about movies with both of these characteristics: seem dumb
*and* draw metric buttloads of attention. I'll see dumb films if they
look fun; I'll see acclaimed films. But I rarely do them if they fit both
categories. Just the way I am, I guess.

Jim Moe

dorayme said:
It is sad statement about the industry that ... tool makers are so limited
in their technical capability that they cannot produce a tool to create
flexible, designed-for-the-web pages.

Perhaps this might be tempered by the order of difficulty
involved. My instinct says it involves a much higher order than
rendering a visual display in tables. [...]
Yes, it is more difficult. Creating a design tool to layout visual
elements in a dynamic environment is certainly a significant challenge.
And they have had nearly *8 years* to provide solutions. Nada. So I see
no need to apologize for their incompetence.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
That may be all *you* hear.

Probably all I want to hear, too. I could just see myself getting lectured
by a tuna.
I have a thing about movies with both of these characteristics: seem
dumb *and* draw metric buttloads of attention. I'll see dumb films if
they look fun; I'll see acclaimed films. But I rarely do them if they
fit both categories. Just the way I am, I guess.

Hmm, that is odd. A fish thing or - haven't been nipping on the cannibis
kelp, have you?

Well I generally don't like dumb movies at all, but I don't think "Jaws"
was considered dumb when it was released. Just a good suspense film, and
that's how I viewed it (no pun intended.) The sequels, however, grew dumb
exponentially - made just for the quick buck. Off the top of my head, the
only sequel I saw that I thought might be better than the original was
"Beyond the Valley of the Dolls." Of course, I didn't see the original,
but they said they went beyond it, so what was the point?

Toby Inkster

Neredbojias said:
Toby Inkster vouchsafed:

Actually, I suspect he'd rather _not_ be known for that.
I liked the first 'Jaws'. Afterwards, they were all pretty much crap

I suspect he'd rather be known for one of the other Jaws films, but he had
nothing to do with any of them. Looking at his filmography on the IMDB,
I'm not entirely sure what he *would* rather be known for!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0765121/

Perhaps for the fact that he directed two episodes of The Fugitive (orig
TV series), one of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and one of the original series
of Star Trek.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

Probably all I want to hear, too. I could just see myself getting
lectured by a tuna.

Hmm, that is odd. A fish thing or - haven't been nipping on the cannibis
kelp, have you?

Whatever comes my way. :)

I guess the bottom line is that I can handle hype if it's got a basis, but
hype for something that looks st00pid turns me off.
Well I generally don't like dumb movies at all, but I don't think "Jaws"
was considered dumb when it was released. Just a good suspense film,
and that's how I viewed it (no pun intended.) The sequels, however,

I also don't have any interest in "thrillers", "slashers" or other kinds
of "surprise" films, if I understand your categorization. Shock, horror,
etc.
grew dumb exponentially - made just for the quick buck. Off the top of
my head, the only sequel I saw that I thought might be better than the
original was "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls." Of course, I didn't see
the original, but they said they went beyond it, so what was the point?

"Hot Shots Part Deux" is as good as "Hot Shots". They're my favorite of
the "Airplane"-like parody films.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Toby Inkster
I suspect he'd rather be known for one of the other Jaws films, but he
had nothing to do with any of them. Looking at his filmography on the
IMDB, I'm not entirely sure what he *would* rather be known for!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0765121/

Er, not the biggest strand of tinsel in Hollywood.
Perhaps for the fact that he directed two episodes of The Fugitive
(orig TV series), one of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and one of the
original series of Star Trek.

Did you catch the dob? -July 22, 1925. Maybe he's one of those guys who's
going to keep doing it until he gets it right. (Come to think of it, I
have an area like that, too.) Anyway, the biggest-name "vehicle" I saw was
"From Here to Eternity" - he had an uncredited bit part.

Of course, maybe he doesn't want to be known at all. After "Jaws: ('This
time it's personal') The Revenge", I could understand the attitude. That
one was a real "Jaws-breaker"...

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
Whatever comes my way. :)

I guess the bottom line is that I can handle hype if it's got a basis,
but hype for something that looks st00pid turns me off.

Exactly my feeling. I may be a bit more critical than you, though. The
movies nowadays _all_ seem like hype to me.
I also don't have any interest in "thrillers", "slashers" or other
kinds of "surprise" films, if I understand your categorization.
Shock, horror, etc.

Nah. I saw the original "Friday the 13th" at the show, thought it was okay
- not great but decent enough. Almost anything after that just seemed like
so much boring gratuity to me.
"Hot Shots Part Deux" is as good as "Hot Shots". They're my favorite
of the "Airplane"-like parody films.

I used to like the biblical/legend-type epics such as Ben-Hur, The Ten
Commandments, Samson and Delilah, Genghis Khan, Taras Bulba, and One
Million B.C. Some of them weren't so great, either, but they kept my
interest. Also "was into" s.f. (Forbidden Planet, The Fly, The Time
Machine, War of the Worlds, 20,000 Leagues... etc.) But still haven't seen
the new WOTW, <sigh>.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
I used to like the biblical/legend-type epics such as Ben-Hur, The Ten

I've held Heston's Oscar statue for Ben-Hur in my hot little fins.

I'm not awed by much, but that's a huge film/award.

dorayme

Jim Moe said:
dorayme said:
It is sad statement about the industry that ... tool makers are so limited
in their technical capability that they cannot produce a tool to create
flexible, designed-for-the-web pages.

Perhaps this might be tempered by the order of difficulty
involved. My instinct says it involves a much higher order than
rendering a visual display in tables. [...]
Yes, it is more difficult. Creating a design tool to layout visual
elements in a dynamic environment is certainly a significant challenge.
And they have had nearly *8 years* to provide solutions. Nada. So I see
no need to apologize for their incompetence.

Well, if you have some idea about the order of difficulty,
perhaps you are justified. I would not know. Your "8 years" is
not an argument.

Neredbojias

I've held Heston's Oscar statue for Ben-Hur in my hot little fins.

I'm not awed by much, but that's a huge film/award.

Wow, we're in the same sea on this one. I've thought about it much and
would probably have to give "Ben-Hur" the nod for greatest movie ever.

You could surely find several films that in separate categories may be
superior, but as a whole, "Ben-Hur" is the best. I discovered and
respected William Wyler after seeing it, who, incidentally, also directed
"Wuthering Heights", another of my favorites.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
Jim Moe said:
dorayme said:
It is sad statement about the industry that ... tool makers are
so limited
in their technical capability that they cannot produce a tool to
create flexible, designed-for-the-web pages.

Perhaps this might be tempered by the order of difficulty
involved. My instinct says it involves a much higher order than
rendering a visual display in tables. [...]
Yes, it is more difficult. Creating a design tool to layout visual
elements in a dynamic environment is certainly a significant
challenge.
And they have had nearly *8 years* to provide solutions. Nada. So I
see
no need to apologize for their incompetence.

Well, if you have some idea about the order of difficulty,
perhaps you are justified. I would not know. Your "8 years" is
not an argument.

I heartily disagree. Sorry, but the people in question are _supposed to_
know what they're doing and certainly not take 8 years to do it. How many
workers do you think could stretch-out their jobs for an 8 year time period
with false promises and disappointment as a net result?

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

Wow, we're in the same sea on this one. I've thought about it much and
would probably have to give "Ben-Hur" the nod for greatest movie ever.

You could surely find several films that in separate categories may be
superior, but as a whole, "Ben-Hur" is the best. I discovered and
respected William Wyler after seeing it, who, incidentally, also directed
"Wuthering Heights", another of my favorites.

And "The Best Years Of Our Lives".

He was *Assistant* Director on the original 1925 "Ben Hur", and,
uncredited, on the 1923 "Hunchback Of Notre Dame".

Three Oscars for Best Director.

dorayme

To further the education of mankind, dorayme

I heartily disagree. Sorry, but the people in question are _supposed to_
know what they're doing and certainly not take 8 years to do it. How many
workers do you think could stretch-out their jobs for an 8 year time period
with false promises and disappointment as a net result?

You heartily disagree with? Lets look at the candidates:

That he is justified if he has a good perspective on the order of
difficulty?

That he is justified even though he has no perspective on the
order of mag of the difficulty of success?

That a statement that any group of people are incompetent, lazy
no-good fools and knaves and schmucks if they can't do something,
no matter what?

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
You heartily disagree with? Lets look at the candidates:

That he is justified if he has a good perspective on the order of
difficulty?

That he is justified even though he has no perspective on the
order of mag of the difficulty of success?

That a statement that any group of people are incompetent, lazy
no-good fools and knaves and schmucks if they can't do something,
no matter what?

Er, let's go back to the original statement:

The only dun on the "tool makers" is they can't do 'something' because of
their limited capabilities. No one said they're lazy or knaves or
schmucks, etc. Perhaps incompetency was implied, but that includes the
case wherein the order of magnitude of difficulty is so great, the goal
simply cannot be accomplished. I'm not saying such are the facts in this
instance, but it is one possibility.

So of the 3 options you proposed, I'd say number 2 is the item that fits
the poop best.

dorayme

So of the 3 options you proposed, I'd say number 2 is the item that fits
the poop best.

ie. That he is justified even though he has no perspective on the
order of mag of the difficulty of success?

I don't know where to go from here, Boji, it just seems obvious
that one should have a handle on this to make such a claim. I
would temper your "hearty agreement".

But I do understand the sentiment. It is natural and often
pleasant to play armchair R & D boss, writing out broad
strategies on the backs of envelopes...

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
ie. That he is justified even though he has no perspective on the
order of mag of the difficulty of success?

Actually, yes. Let's say the difficulty is extreme, like constructing a
300-story hi-rise. Would you exonerate the builders if the structure
collapsed just because they had faced exceptional problems and not-quite
handled them?
I don't know where to go from here, Boji, it just seems obvious
that one should have a handle on this to make such a claim. I
would temper your "hearty agreement".

I see where you're coming from and don't bluntly dismiss the concept, but
my point is essentially "If you can't do something right, don't do it at
all." Yes, there are places and times for trial-and-error methods (e.g.
the beta and alpha programs issued by software developers,) but _not_ in
expensive, auto-touted, highly-marketed programs sold as proficient and
adept.
But I do understand the sentiment. It is natural and often
pleasant to play armchair R & D boss, writing out broad
strategies on the backs of envelopes...

Okay, Barbara....

dorayme

ie. That he is justified even though he has no perspective on the
order of mag of the difficulty of success?

Actually, yes. Let's say the difficulty is extreme, like constructing a
300-story hi-rise. Would you exonerate the builders if the structure
collapsed just because they had faced exceptional problems and not-quite
handled them?[/QUOTE]

er... well... er ... Roger:

You obviously can't resist an analogy that suits you. Lives are
at stake there, no building is better than a dangerous one. Are
the wsiwigs available worse than none at all? And it is no use a
hand coding website developer answering this, no more than it
would be any use for a property developer to ask the twin
question in your case.