Making a table with divs

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
Actually, yes. Let's say the difficulty is extreme, like
constructing a 300-story hi-rise. Would you exonerate the builders
if the structure collapsed just because they had faced exceptional
problems and not-quite handled them?

er... well... er ... Roger:
Hehehe.

You obviously can't resist an analogy that suits you. Lives are
at stake there, no building is better than a dangerous one. Are
the wsiwigs available worse than none at all? And it is no use a
hand coding website developer answering this, no more than it
would be any use for a property developer to ask the twin
question in your case.[/QUOTE]

Admittedly I have a prejudice toward such editors, but maybe the best
answer is the following compromise. Let's say they're okay to learn on but
not as a day-in, day-out front end crutch for creating pages "on the fly"
so to speak. You may be correct in your intimation of the difficulty
involved which implies that such software will never be "able to get it
right" and should not be considered a replacement for actually knowing what
you are doing in general. Everybody is or was a gnubee at one time; I
began learning markup by playing around with the html email source in OE,
and it was a lot of fun. But I kept trying to learn from there; I didn't
just go out and buy Dreamweaver and figure I had the world by the
spheroids.

Although calculators abound, students still have to learn math. And calcs
aren't nearly as error-prone as markup generators.

dorayme

Admittedly I have a prejudice toward such editors, but maybe the best
answer is the following compromise. Let's say they're okay to learn on but
not as a day-in, day-out

This is not the slightest bit relevant. The issue was about the
competence, willingness and order of difficulty of making really
good ones. Time to dust off that thinking cap, young man.

But don't worry, Boji, fuzziness of this kind will not add to
your (cough cough) treatment by Officer Bud White. He treats
moral, rather than intellectual problems...

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
This is not the slightest bit relevant. The issue was about the
competence, willingness and order of difficulty of making really
good ones. Time to dust off that thinking cap, young man.

Of course it's relevant! Since there aren't any acceptable html (graphic)
editors out there, I offered a means of valuating the junk that is
available. It is naive to suppose that every software author in the scope
of the discussion is really incompetant, so the level of difficulty must be
excessive (-although _that_ isn't particularly relevant. The end user
doesn't especially care _why_ something doesn't work, just that it doesn't
work.) This is where marketing comes in, as I was trying to get across to
that Wiersch guy with the CSE whatchamahoogitz.

Had Microsoft and Dreamweaver contrived to produce an html _assistant_ that
wouldn't really have to do _everything_ perfectly (but still couldn't do
anything imperfectly,) they'd both be in a much better position regarding
their respective product today.
But don't worry, Boji, fuzziness of this kind will not add to
your (cough cough) treatment by Officer Bud White. He treats
moral, rather than intellectual problems...

I suspect the Martian scirocco got to you.

dorayme

This is not the slightest bit relevant. The issue was about the
competence, willingness and order of difficulty of making really
good ones. Time to dust off that thinking cap, young man.

Of course it's relevant! Since there aren't any acceptable html (graphic)
editors out there, I offered a means of valuating the junk that is
available.[/QUOTE]

It is not relevant to the reason why there are not good WSIWIGS
(assuming there are not). Evaluation of what is on offer was not
being discussed.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
It is not relevant to the reason why there are not good WSIWIGS
(assuming there are not). Evaluation of what is on offer was not
being discussed.

What's a WSIWIG?

Anyway, since you choose to be deliberately persnickety, I shall refrain
from endeavoring to enlighten you any further.

dorayme

Next time try Enos...

I've already got a girlfriend.[/QUOTE]

Eno's liver salts. Not Eros, Eno's. The jingle went this a way:

E-N-O, Eno!
When you're feeling low, Eno!
It's mild and gentle, and good tasting too
E-N-O, Eno!

Lovely to taste, very effervescent....

Peter

Absolute positioning in CSS with borders will effectively simulate a
table. For example:

div.tableCell1 {
position: absolute;
left: 1px;
top: 20px;
border: 1px solid black;
This would make 1 simulated table cell. You'd have a lot more freedom
than coding it with a table.

frederick

Peter said:
Absolute positioning in CSS with borders will effectively simulate a
table. For example:

div.tableCell1 {
position: absolute;
left: 1px;
top: 20px;
border: 1px solid black;
This would make 1 simulated table cell. You'd have a lot more freedom
than coding it with a table.

Problem 1:
This won't scale if the user changes the font size.

Problem 2:
Depending on how many "cells" you have, this could easily force a
horizontal scrollbar.

Problem 3:
This is very inefficient coding, since each "cell" would require its
own class or id, meaning a lot of needless duplication. For example,
if you had eight "cells", and you decided to change their widths, you'd
have to change your code in eight different places, even if the "cells"
were all the same size.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
I've already got a girlfriend.

Eno's liver salts. Not Eros, Eno's. The jingle went this a way:

E-N-O, Eno!
When you're feeling low, Eno!
It's mild and gentle, and good tasting too
E-N-O, Eno!

Lovely to taste, very effervescent....[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a glorified poop enhancer. Well, I don't have any trouble with
that. In fact some people say I do it too facilely already.

dorayme

To further the education of mankind, dorayme:

Sounds like a glorified poop enhancer. Well, I don't have any trouble with
that. In fact some people say I do it too facilely already.

In my clinical experience, I have found that folk who talk this
way usually do have a bad problem in this and other areas. You
have boasted about your various prowesses, both sexual and now
anal. I think you can save yourself some money Boji by not seeing
anyone professionally for now. Your up and coming meeting with
Officer Bud White will be very professional, let me assure you.
And free. (I noticed he slayed a tiger last night as I was
passing a TV set)

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
In my clinical experience, I have found that folk who talk this
way usually do have a bad problem in this and other areas. You
have boasted about your various prowesses, both sexual and now
anal. I think you can save yourself some money Boji by not seeing
anyone professionally for now. Your up and coming meeting with
Officer Bud White will be very professional, let me assure you.
And free. (I noticed he slayed a tiger last night as I was
passing a TV set)

Au contrare, mon amie. I poop when I want to and am quite ambidexterous.
Furthermore, back in my caveman days, I had a fondness for lizard gizzard,
and that's really why the dinosaurs are extinct.