Making all theme files availble before authentication

David Thielen

Hi;

My login page uses css and gif files from the theme. Since the user can
change the theme in the web.config file, is there a way to say any file (or
preferably any .css, .gif, or .jpg file) anywhere under App_Themes can be
read by un-authenticated users?

Otherwise if a sysadmin changes the theme in web.config, they have to know
to change the location nodes too.

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

As for those theme resource like css, gif, jpg ... files under Theme and
sub theme folders, by default they will be available to all users no matter
they have been authenticated or not(suppose you are use
formsauthentication+membership+role).

As far as I know, we may meet some problems with access static resource
items under unauthenticated(login) user when we developing through the VS
2005/.NET 2.0 test server. Because the test webserver will process all the
requests from browser (no matter the requested file is static ones--css, js
or dynamic ones--aspx, ascx).

Are you also encountering the problem when developing through test server
or also meet problem in IIS hosted scenario?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Dominick's input.

Hi Dave,

Yes, this is actually the expected behavior in test server instance test
server doesn't has raw ISAPI filter and extensions as IIS. Therefore, all
the requests(no matter static or dynamic files) will be handled by ASP.NET
engine. So when test through test server, we need to take abit more care on
such scenario.

Anyway, I agree that this should be one of the things the ASP.NET team can
improve for futher release. I would suggest you submit this in the product
feedback center:

http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210