Making and managing tile based RPG map in JavaScript

riklaunim

I'm coding a browser based RPG game (currently server-side Django/
Python code) and I'm bit confused with the maps - area exploration for
the game. There are some nice isometric JS "examples" like
vanthia.com, some dimetric with "from top view" - rectangular tiles.
Dimetric maps with rectangular tiles look much simpler than isometric
maps, but also they have lesser "wow" effect.

My question is - how such tile based map (map walker) could be
implemented (in not super-complicated way), are there some open source
projects of that type?