Making backups

et

This might be more of a visual studio question, or maybe even an iss
question, but I couldn't find a newsgroup for just visual studio, and my
project is an asp dot net project.

I made backups of my projects usually at particular milestones, and
sometimes I need to go back and review what I did in certain circumstances,
such as a procedure or something that has since been removed. Yet I can't:
the directory is now labeled bk1Project and when I try to open it in visual
studio, it says it is not mapped to Project. I can't remap it to Project
becasue project is my real one. So I create a virtual web directory named
bk1Project and it still won't open and then IIS drops the new name as if it
never existed.

So 2 qeustions: How do I open old versions of a program that is no longer
named "Project" and how should I have done this to prevent this problem.

Hermit Dave

well you can directly open the files in vs.net and look at the code. or you
could deploy that version (if you have a compiled version)

in future.. you could start to use source safe. create a release section and
share you main project files and pin them down to correct version.

then you can fully check out the pinned files any given time knowing that it
will work. plus you can use sourcesafe to view the files or sourcesafe to
open the files in vs.net..

--

Regards,

Hermit Dave