Making DropDownLists accessible

darrel

I and a coworker are building a cms via .net (vb.net)

I'm more of the front-end guy, and mainly use DW, while he's more of the
back-end guy, and uses VS.NET

He likes to use a lot of the built in controls and such, while I tend to be
a bit more picky and do a lot with things like repeater controls instead of
datagrids, for instance.

Anyways, he's using a dropDownList and postback to capture any changes to
it. The problem is that this renders as a javascript function in the
browser. Since this is a .gov site, I'm trying to remove all *required*
javascript. Ie, javascript is fine if it enhances, but not if it is
required. In this case, the drop down list is being used to show a different
subset of data, so it is required functionality.

Is there a way to make a dropdownlist NOT depend on javascript? Or do I just
need to build my own drop down in HTML and send it back as a form
submission?

-Darrel

bruce barker

the dropdown only need to javascript to support the postback on change.
turning autopostback off, and supplying a button or image to do the postback
will fix the problem.

autopostback on a dropdown is problematic anyway. see what happen if you use
the arrow keys to select an item, with out opening the dropdown (tab to the
dropdown, and hit the downarrow a couple of times - should hang the page as
its trying to postback on each selection).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Darren Clark

Is there a way to make a dropdownlist NOT depend on javascript? Or do I just
need to build my own drop down in HTML and send it back as a form
submission? If you build it, you are doing the same as what the postback even does. It using a form and posts the result of form to the server.

You say you dont like javascript, but realy how can you develop a good site without at least a little bit.?
It is almost like saying, i dont like design unless it is necessary.

darrel

You say you dont like javascript, but realy how can you develop a good
site without at least a little bit.?

I'm a huge proponent of accessibility. Javascript is great as a web site
ENHANCEMENT...useless as a requirement.

ASP.NET seems to default to a lot of javascript function in a lot of it's
controls. This is fine for internal, closed audience web application
development, but not so great for making general audience, accesible sites.
It is almost like saying, i dont like design unless it is necessary.

I'd say it's nothing like it. Design is a requirement for a good product.
Javascript can make a product better. It's like building a car that runs on
plutonium. While it's great if you have plutonium, it's useless if you
don't.

Actually, I don't think it's like that, either. It's morning, I don't have a
good analogy thought process this early. ;o)

-Darrel

darrel

the dropdown only need to javascript to support the postback on change.
turning autopostback off, and supplying a button or image to do the postback
will fix the problem.

Thanks, Bruce.
autopostback on a dropdown is problematic anyway. see what happen if you use
the arrow keys to select an item, with out opening the dropdown (tab to the
dropdown, and hit the downarrow a couple of times - should hang the page as
its trying to postback on each selection).

Ah...more ammo for me to convince the others that this isn't the way to go
;o)

-Darrel