making entire spread sheet as active record

katthi

hi
I want to make entire spread sheet as active record model in ruby on
rails so that i can build applications on top of that .can any one
know how to do this ?

Alex Young

katthi said:
hi
I want to make entire spread sheet as active record model in ruby on
rails so that i can build applications on top of that .can any one
know how to do this ?
Your best bet is to export the spreadsheet to a CSV, and import that CSV
into an SQLite database. You can then use the SQLite database as Rails'
database. For more information than that, you'd best ask on the Rails list.

Gregory Brown

Your best bet is to export the spreadsheet to a CSV, and import that CSV
into an SQLite database. You can then use the SQLite database as Rails'
database. For more information than that, you'd best ask on the Rails list.

With Ruport, one of our users did something like this:

Table("my.csv", :records => true) do |s,r|
YourModel.create(r.to_hash)
end

Of course, YMMV and that's a bit of a hack. Since this has come up a
couple times, i wouldn't mind adding a more general tool either as a
Ruport plugin or in ruport-util, but I've not had a need for it, so
I'd not be the one to write it :)