Making HTTP requests

Christopher Benson-Manica

Is there a more crossbrowser-friendly means to make HTTP requests
using script than the XML methods? I need to do this in IE 5.0, and
it doesn't seem to have the ActiveX control that can make XML HTTP
requests. I hope the answer will not be to roll my own HTTP protocol
handler :)

Martin Honnen

Christopher said:
Is there a more crossbrowser-friendly means to make HTTP requests
using script than the XML methods? I need to do this in IE 5.0, and
it doesn't seem to have the ActiveX control that can make XML HTTP
requests.

You should be able to use
new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP')
in IE 5 and later on Windows. There are also other version like
new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0')
for instance which comes with IE 6. But the first one should do in IE 5,
5.5, 6, and the API for making HTTP requests is the same anyway.

If ActiveX is disabled then you are left with an hidden (i)frame or
older no longer supported technology like remote scripting (MS feature
which uses a Java applet on the client which client-side script calls
where the applet then makes calls to an ASP page).

phil_gg04

Christopher said:
Is there a more crossbrowser-friendly means to make HTTP requests
using script than the XML methods? I need to do this in IE 5.0

I'm using the Sarissa library (http://sourceforge.net/projects/sarissa)
to provide reasonably browser-independent XmlHTTPRequest functions. I
believe that it will work with IE5 but have not tested it.

--Phil.